CarlyM

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have my first job interview on Friday. It's for a research technician position.

What should I wear?? I'm thinking a suit won't be necessary since the job involves stuff like culture prep and taking care of mice. Please help!

I'm a woman, by the way. :)

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You can never go wrong with a suit.
A rule of thumb is to dress one step better than what the job would require.
ie - If they were jeans, wear some nice pants; if they are business casual, wear a suit.

Remember you are trying to make a good first impression.

I've interviewed 100s of people in my past job.
It was a professional environment and I was always amazed by people who didn't wear a suit. Not that I care (and I hate suits), but it came off like they were clueless. Crazy as it seems, some people would write you off for something as small as this. No one will think poorly of you for being overdressed. If anything, they will take it as a sign of respect.

Now if you don't have a suit and you think it's totally not needed, call them and ask what you should wear.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Suit!!!!!

I am amazed by how much this question comes up on SDN. Job interview = suit. Really, you can't go wrong with this.

Look, if you get there and feel ridiculously overdressed, you can take your jacket off and hang it on the chair while you sit down to participate in the interview.

[Unless we're talking, you know, hourly restaurant or mall-type jobs. But those types of positions aren't interviews anyway really. Often you show up, fill out the app, and they ask you a few questions, you're hired.]

kami333

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Always a suit. Maybe khakis and a jacket if you don't have a suit (I can't fit into any of mine right now...).

Now I go into work in shorts and sandals:D

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
suit

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Also, from what I've read here before: Wear a shirt/blouse that isn't low cut, minimal tasteful jewelry (remove piercings: lip. tongue, any earrings more than two). No stiletto heels. Wear nylons. Conceal tats. Minimal makeup. No miniskirt. No neon colors. Dress to appeal to the most-conservative older person you could possibly be seen by that day.