howtofr4y

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2007
Status
I know this is random, but...

Most of my clothes consist of jeans and tshirts...and I like wearing them. It's simple, and I'm not into buying/wearing really nice stuff just because I'm not used to doing so.

However, as med students, are we expected to dress ourselves nicer than, say, we did in undergrad years? Or doesn't it matter?

Btw...I'm only talking about the first 2 years. I know in clinical years (or any times during the first two years where we will have contact with patients) we will be dressing appropriately.

Ki45toryu

In this corner...
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
2 words....banana hammock

...but seriously, it depends on the school to decide if a dress code exists. Most schools dont use one.

Powdermonkey

ninja doctor in training
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Quick! Call a code, grab a cart!
www.osteobook.net
Status
Attending Physician
We have one at DCOM, but its just business casual most days unless something super special is going on. We can wear jeans I think too as long as they arent all ripped and frayed. I wish we could wear scrubs instead of dressing up if we wanted to, but we can only go to anatomy lab in scrubs. I think you can wear scrubs each day at Nova, but I dont know for sure.

About the Ads

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
...but seriously, it depends on the school to decide if a dress code exists. Most schools dont use one.
KCUMB has a dress code. Matching scrubs are okay for most days (most students take certain liberties, without event), but on formal occasions or for most clinical type events, you need to dress up professionally, which generally consists of business attire + white coat. Either choice is acceptable for lectures.

OMT lab requires shorts and t-shirts. Women need to also wear a sports bra.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I can't wait to start dressing down. Since I teach at a college and am younger than many of my students, I tend to dress nicely (skirt, dress pants, low heels, makeup) daily. I can't wait to roll out of bed, put my hair in a ponytail, throw on some jeans and head to class.

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We have one at DCOM, but its just business casual most days unless something super special is going on. We can wear jeans I think too as long as they arent all ripped and frayed. I wish we could wear scrubs instead of dressing up if we wanted to, but we can only go to anatomy lab in scrubs. I think you can wear scrubs each day at Nova, but I dont know for sure.
Yep, I'm going to have to reserve my fave pair of ripped jeans for the weekends. ;)

Powdermonkey

ninja doctor in training
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Quick! Call a code, grab a cart!
www.osteobook.net
Status
Attending Physician
Yep, I'm going to have to reserve my fave pair of ripped jeans for the weekends. ;)
w00t! You can wear them when you come over too. I wont complain ;).

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
State of Delirium
www.lmgtfy.com
Status
Attending Physician
At PCOM there is a huge spread of what students choose to wear to class. Some come in nice jeans/khakis and button-downs, while others wear sweats. It really doesn't matter.

We have dress code for OMM lab (gym shorts, t-shirt, sports bras for girls..), for anatomy lab (scrubs or similar...). For our standardized patient encounters and our clinical correlations lectures (patients come in who are afflicted with whatever we're studying...), we have to dress the part meaning AT LEAST khakis, button-down & tie, and our white coat (for guys) and a dress or similar attire for girls.

I honestly don't see the need for a dress code in normal lecture. I think that it is ridiculous to think that there is any difference whatsoever between having a dress code and not...

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I honestly don't see the need for a dress code in normal lecture. I think that it is ridiculous to think that there is any difference whatsoever between having a dress code and not...
I agree with you, Max. However, I've gotten used to it by now, though, so I don't think about it too much.

sherruns

Head Like Brick
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

i'm buyin' all my highwaters from Talbots

About the Ads

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Heard back from the AF yet?
Not yet. I'm told that my application is at the board right now. I'll probably know in a few weeks, or sooner, I hope.

prionsRbad

Mooooo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
w00t! You can wear them when you come over too. I wont complain ;).
Sorry to disappoint you Rose, but they're not ripped in the crotch region! ;):laugh:

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
OSU dress code:
No shorts, no sweats, no windsuit pants. Finals week this is relaxed.

Tshirts and jeans is great. Scrub pants and a tshirt are fine, too. For OMM, you have to wear scrubs and a tshirt. If the governor comes by the school, then that's a white coat day. Ties, slacks, white coat. Those happen maybe once a semester at the most.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
State of Delirium
www.lmgtfy.com
Status
Attending Physician
Not yet. I'm told that my application is at the board right now. I'll probably know in a few weeks, or sooner, I hope.
Same. They met this week. Waiting game now I guess... I've been warned that the contract looks very ominous lol.

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
At SOMA it's business casual or school issued scrubs. No blue jeans, tank tops, or flip flops.

Ki45toryu

In this corner...
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Since we are clarifying for particular schools....AZCOM has no dress code.

Except banana hammocks.

KateGia

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
At NYCOM everyone dresses pretty much in jeans and sweatshirts (it's really cold in our lecture halls) or t-shirts. Some people will wear nice sweaters and stuff, some people will wear scrubs and sweats. Pretty much what you'd see in an undergrad class. It really doesn't matter at all. I wear jeans, except for the last 3 days before a test i'm in sweats.

Marthea007

Not so Lil Murph Dog
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Brownsburg, IN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually as far as the ripped/frayed jeans, they're pretty lenient. Although no tshirts or hoodies for lecture (although some people have gotten away with zip up hoodies). You're not supposed to wear flipflops to lecture but plenty of people do, it's more just a rule for lab. The dress code isn't too bad here.

DocJulez

Awesome Canadian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2008
Status
Non-Student
2 words....banana hammock

Ki45toryu has 3. They look great on him too.....really quite strapping......
my fav mite be the leopard print one ......:rolleyes:

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
no dress code at UNE other than "not offensive". Certain things you need preceptor or professional dress for. Plenty of folks come to school in jeans, sweats, scrubs, etc.

About the Ads