What to wear to a Clinical Psych Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I almost feel inclined to say it doesn't matter and that they won't remember ... but I'm not going to. I think you should wear a different suit. Maybe it's just a superstitition ... but you never know. You want a different outcome from last year, right? And even though it's probably not the suit that got you rejected, you never know. Be a different candidate. Wear a black suit.

It's funny you say that about superstition. Last year, I had two suits that I wore to my interviews and I ended up getting offers from the schools to which I wore Suit A and rejections from the schools to which I wore Suit B. Of course I know it wasn't the suit but...

As far as wearing the same suit this year, I agree with what was stated above, I highly doubt they'd remember it, and even if so, I don't think they would look at it negatively!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, what about an interview that states it will have a "light canyon hike." What do you wear to that? Especially if you have interviews in the morning.

I can't even imagine why a program would take you for a hike on interview day. If you have formal interviews that morning, I would take a change of clothes! I wouldn't want to be in jeans and hiking boots during interviews!

I think this is a great reason to give the admissions secretary a call and find out what's up. :confused:

Coming from someone who did it for my first choice school, it went over very well. The colours happened to look sharp together anyhow, though.

I'm sure that schools/profs who are really into their University's "school spirit" sports, etc., would take it as a compliment. It's just not my thing, I guess. I'd feel like a dork.

BTW, psychwanabe, I feel like I have gained at least a dollar or two now by picking up your 2 cents, thanks. :D

-kiwi

:laugh: Wow...then I must be offering too many opinions! :rolleyes:

It's funny you say that about superstition. Last year, I had two suits that I wore to my interviews and I ended up getting offers from the schools to which I wore Suit A and rejections from the schools to which I wore Suit B.

...sounds like there's a study in there somewhere! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a bit of a repeat, but I just want to verify - the school I'm interviewing at is having an "informal dinner" the night before interview day so that all of the current graduate students can meet with the interviewees and speak beforehand. I'm planning on dressing nicely (no suit though), but just want to get input on exactly what I should wear (I'm not very trendy....haha). Should I wear dress pants and a button down shirt? Or would that be overdoing it? I know it's better to over-dress than under-dress, but they did specifically say "informal." Input?

Also, this might seem sort of ridiculous, but I don't want to make a bad impression. I'm flying down there and there will probably be a couple hours between my arrival at my host's apartment and the informal dinner. Can I just dress how I normally would outside of the dinner and interview? They can't expect me to dress up for the all weekend... haha.

I know this is a bit of a repeat, but I just want to verify - the school I'm interviewing at is having an "informal dinner" the night before interview day so that all of the current graduate students can meet with the interviewees and speak beforehand. I'm planning on dressing nicely (no suit though), but just want to get input on exactly what I should wear (I'm not very trendy....haha). Should I wear dress pants and a button down shirt? Or would that be overdoing it? I know it's better to over-dress than under-dress, but they did specifically say "informal." Input?

Also, this might seem sort of ridiculous, but I don't want to make a bad impression. I'm flying down there and there will probably be a couple hours between my arrival at my host's apartment and the informal dinner. Can I just dress how I normally would outside of the dinner and interview? They can't expect me to dress up for the all weekend... haha.

I was just thinking about the same thing. I'm planning to wear normal clothes on the plane (not sweat pants or anything, but like jeans and a sweater), nice pants and a sweater to the first night's dinner and then nice pants and a collared shirt for the interview day (I'm neuroscience, not clinical). One of my interviews then has us having dinner at a faculty member's house that night, I'm not so sure what to wear to that...

Okay, I've now heard that a lot of people who went on interviews before said not to dress up for informal dinners and the like because you'll come off as pretentious. They said to wear nice jeans and a sweater/nice shirt. Thoughts?

I think I'm just going to ask the graduate student hosting me about the attire. I'm hoping that won't be too inappropriate.

Okay, I've now heard that a lot of people who went on interviews before said not to dress up for informal dinners and the like because you'll come off as pretentious. They said to wear nice jeans and a sweater/nice shirt. Thoughts?

I think I'm just going to ask the graduate student hosting me about the attire. I'm hoping that won't be too inappropriate.

That's what I'd do. When I host interviewees, I try to tell them about how to dress because all of the student events here are very casual (ie. jeans). At almost every place I interviewed, I would say that for grad student only activities, the dress was jeans and a nice shirt, or something equivalent to that. Of course, if you want to wear nicer pants, or a skirt, I think you'd be fine and not too overdressed.

I think psypsypsy is right on. Don't be too worried about the grad student only gatherings. When I went, a lot of them were in really casual clothes. At one school, there was a gathering at the POI's house for her lab and her applicants, plus 3 or 4 other professors. To that, I wore black slacks and a sweater with a blouse underneath. It was basically business casual, which was just right. For the interview day, I wore a suit (as did just about all other applicants) with pants since it was butt-cold there. That evening, there was a gathering at a bar for just applicants and grad students. Most applicants opted for nice jeans and a sweater, but some had on dress slacks and sweaters. Either one was fine. The grad students were about the same: some had just come from their practicum site and were better dressed than those who had just been at school that day.

hi, I'm new to this but just by reading responses to others questions I've learned a lot. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about if a girl should take a purse to an interview.. I've been told that females should not wear purses and instead to carry a briefcase. This advice came from a business student though. I don't think I need a briefcase plus I wouldn't have anything to put in it! I was thinking maybe a portfolio but then I don't know where I would put my keys etc. Any suggestions?

hi, I'm new to this but just by reading responses to others questions I've learned a lot. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about if a girl should take a purse to an interview.. I've been told that females should not wear purses and instead to carry a briefcase. This advice came from a business student though. I don't think I need a briefcase plus I wouldn't have anything to put in it! I was thinking maybe a portfolio but then I don't know where I would put my keys etc. Any suggestions?

I'm certainly not going out to buy a briefcase because I just can't afford a nice one right now and I think I'd feel really kind of funny carrying a briefcase. I have a really nice little laptop case, and that's what I'm going to take. It's black, soft and looks formal enough. I think it's perfect.

I think it comes down to a PURSE-onal decision. :D I'd think a purse is fine, I saw them at my internship interviews, and they all seemed appropriate.

I agree, but would caution NO sequins or pleather :p

I agree, but would caution NO sequins or pleather :p

Ok, I have an interview at Penn State, which is east coast, and I am assuming (I know, I know...) that more conservative is better. I bought some nice pearls (always wanted them, and I am a female) and I have this briefcase which I use for teaching and is a little large...I am afraid it will look awkward during an interview since it is designed for real use? Also, how do I make it match with a formal suit unless the suit is tan?

Attachments

• Briefcase.jpg
    Briefcase.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 105
  • pearls.jpg
    pearls.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 104
Members don't see this ad :)
i could see that working with black, if your shirt is very light. a tan suit might actually be too matchy-matchy. just keep it all very simple, and it should work. i don't have a nice briefcase, but i do have several canvas ones from conferences i've attended, and since i had to shell out $$$ for a suit, i think i'm just bringing one of those.

i could see that bag working with a nice dark navy suit, and like the previous poster said, black would be nice too, especially with a light shirt underneath. love the pearls btw.

i could see that bag working with a nice dark navy suit, and like the previous poster said, black would be nice too, especially with a light shirt underneath. love the pearls btw.

kyril said:
i could see that working with black, if your shirt is very light. a tan suit might actually be too matchy-matchy. just keep it all very simple, and it should work. i don't have a nice briefcase, but i do have several canvas ones from conferences i've attended, and since i had to shell out $$$ for a suit, i think i'm just bringing one of those.

Thanks to both of you! I am sooo NOT fashion savvy! I can buy nice items, but putting them together takes a miracle, or a forum:) I think I will go to jcp's and try on suits that are navy and black and bring the bag and the pearls with me. I really do not want to wear heels all day. I was thinking of flat dress shoes, or these boot like dress shoes with a square heel? Acceptable? I already have black and brown and I can save some money?
Thanks again!

BTW, off topic, the pearls are on-sale at jcpenney.com for only 69$, they are ocean shell pearls 12-12.5mm, so a great deal. got the matching earrings also.

no prob, this kind of thing is fun. brown or grey would be nice too, btw, and go well with the pearls - light or dark grey. as long as the shoes are simple they should be fine. the briefcase is kinda a signature piece, which is great, but that means keeping the rest classic.

for my interviews i'm keeping everything very simple and classic (black suit, black flat oxford-type shoes, white button down), but my glasses are very modern and colorful, so they pop.

There are some nice looking tote bags that would work really well if you want to ditch the purse but still carry something for keys, notebook, personal items, etc. You will get a folder full of info about the school, and it's good to have a portfolio or something to take notes on. But just carrying the portfolio and a purse is fine too. Most women have them.

Also, bear in mind that it's a long day, you might be going outside and you may want to freshen up at some point prior to an interview. At one interview last year we toured parts of campus and the wind was gusting up to about 40 mph while we were out there! By the time we got in my hair looked like a birds nest! I was going straight from that tour to my interview, and if I hadn't had my purse I would have looked frightening going in! :rolleyes:

no prob, this kind of thing is fun. brown or grey would be nice too, btw, and go well with the pearls - light or dark grey. as long as the shoes are simple they should be fine. the briefcase is kinda a signature piece, which is great, but that means keeping the rest classic.

for my interviews i'm keeping everything very simple and classic (black suit, black flat oxford-type shoes, white button down), but my glasses are very modern and colorful, so they pop.

That sounds great! My glasses are RL dark maroon plastic frames, so they are conservative, but with a bit of color. I was thinking of a black suit, with a dark maroon (or as my mentor here calls it, "Power Red") blouse, and then the pearls and my black square heeled dress shoe/boot things.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with regards to the whole suit issue for females...would it not be appropriate to wear dress pants with a blazer and a blouse underneath?..so not necessarily a pant-suit? Any thoughts???

I think that would be fine, however, nothing reflects seriousness of purpose and formality more than a suit. I gave in and bought a nice black one this weekend. (I had contemplated wearing a tweed one but decided that wasn't formal enough.)

I'm having a bit of difficulty with regards to the whole suit issue for females...would it not be appropriate to wear dress pants with a blazer and a blouse underneath?..so not necessarily a pant-suit? Any thoughts???

Ok, I have an interview at Penn State, which is east coast, and I am assuming (I know, I know...) that more conservative is better. I bought some nice pearls (always wanted them, and I am a female) and I have this briefcase which I use for teaching and is a little large...I am afraid it will look awkward during an interview since it is designed for real use? Also, how do I make it match with a formal suit unless the suit is tan?

OERPs,

Your pictures of your bag and peals reminded me of Ebay. It suddently occured to me that instead of worrying about if your bag, suit, and pearls match, that you might instead worry if, during the interview, your POI suddenly looks at your accouterments and angrily says: "so you are the little sneak who out bid me on Ebay! I will teach you a thing or two about outbidding me!" :laugh:

By the way, I am a guy but I once heard my older female co-workers saying that women used to always have to match bags/ purses to shoes. However, then they said that most women do not do this anymore. Any thoughts?

Okay....just throwing this out there....I just got my itinerary for an interview and it stated "business casual".....what would that mean for a female applicant? Dress pants for sure...but shirtwise????

Okay....just throwing this out there....I just got my itinerary for an interview and it stated "business casual".....what would that mean for a female applicant? Dress pants for sure...but shirtwise????

Blouse, nice sweater (possibly with camisole underneath), I think business casual basically means dress nice but without wearing a suit. You could still even wear a top with a blazer, but the blazer does not then have to match the pants (as with a suit).

Now, my problem is where can I buy panty hose that look like my natural legs? I *hate* to wear panty hose but apparently if you are wearing a suit it is a must. Blech! Anyone have brand/ stores to go to suggestions. I have to do it tonight in about 30 minutes!

FYI, at my interview today there were 15 women, all dressed in nearly identical black pant suits!

Minor conundrum. I have an interview on Friday and would like to take a folder/clipboard to jot notes down on. I have a nice black leather folder that I'd love to use, but it has the name of my undergraduate institution on it.

Inappropriate enough that I should buy a new folder, or no??

Minor conundrum. I have an interview on Friday and would like to take a folder/clipboard to jot notes down on. I have a nice black leather folder that I'd love to use, but it has the name of my undergraduate institution on it.

It's fine. Don't overstress about stuff like that! :D

But I guess that's how it has to be, right? I mean if an applicant were to show up in say a tweed suit she might look really weird, right?

I guess we have to distinguish ourselves by what we say ... or maybe just wear red shoes or something.

Yep. I think there's a post of mine somewhere that refers to a "sea of black suits" at interview days.

Funny that you mention that. I was at an interview where an applicant had a folder from her (highly prestigious) undergrad school. It stood out to me, and my instincts were to respond negatively to it -- we all put so much thought into what we bring and wear to interviews that carrying a folder with the name of one's top tier undergrad institution struck me as a bit manipulative.

Then again, it's possible that the folder was the only one the applicant had on hand, like in your scenario. Plus, I was an applicant and therefore my interpretation isn't worth too much -- maybe the folder actually made a positive impression (or no impression at all) on the interviewer. But given my own gut response to seeing it at an interview, I wouldn't do it if it can be helped.

My notebook said Macintosh on it. It was what I had. Hopefully no PC people thought I was being elitist! :D

(For the record, I do not recall what kind of notebook anybody else had.)

Now, my problem is where can I buy panty hose that look like my natural legs? I *hate* to wear panty hose but apparently if you are wearing a suit it is a must. Blech! Anyone have brand/ stores to go to suggestions. I have to do it tonight in about 30 minutes!

every heard of spray-on pantyhose? i have a few beauty writer/editor friends who are all about it. quality wise, nothing beats wolford (price wise too - they are super expensive, though in NYC century 21 often has them much cheaper. victoria's secret actually has hose in a variety of tones. this is why i bought a pantsuit. at conferences i feel comfortable wearing patterned or opaque hose, but for interviews i feel like i have to be as conservative as possible (although my friend got into temple wearing a red suit to the interview).:)

every heard of spray-on pantyhose? i have a few beauty writer/editor friends who are all about it. quality wise, nothing beats wolford (price wise too - they are super expensive, though in NYC century 21 often has them much cheaper. victoria's secret actually has hose in a variety of tones. this is why i bought a pantsuit. at conferences i feel comfortable wearing patterned or opaque hose, but for interviews i feel like i have to be as conservative as possible (although my friend got into temple wearing a red suit to the interview).:)

Thanks for the info. It is hard to tell which color will look most natural on your skin!!! And some of my upcoming interviews are in places where it is 70-80 degrees right now. I can't believe I have to wear pantyhose to that! I bought the pants that go with my suit too, but I was planning on wearing that on day two. I'm off to my first interview tonight, so wish me luck! I'll let you know how my outfit holds up and compares to others.

it's insane that yo have to wear a near transparent, invisible covering over your legs when you're wearing a wool suit. :confused: opaque tights a no no, yet wool pants are okay. and the fact that anyone needs to wear heavy formal wear in 80 degree weather seems unprofessional to me. nothing says "competent" like sweat stains and mild heatstroke.

i'm glad i'm applying to schools in wintery states, though what with global warming, the same state will now have a blizzard in one part and tshirt weather in another!

Any advice on what kind of comfortable shoes to wear?? Heels are not my favorite, and I don't want to have to worry about tripping or making loud noises while walking. Suggestions would be great! Thanks

BTW if anyone's worried about wrinkles, I bring the travel size wrinkle releaser by Downy with me wherever I go. All you do is spray it on your clothes, and voila! no wrinkles!

Any advice on what kind of comfortable shoes to wear?? Heels are not my favorite, and I don't want to have to worry about tripping or making loud noises while walking. Suggestions would be great! Thanks

How about those shoes with a bigger real heel on it, but they aren't boots? I'm guessing they can have a higher heel, but not be stiletto-like. When I was traveling around for internship interviews I saw a lot of women still trying the skinny heel, but many where wearing the wider heel...especially in snowy places. I can't even imagine not wearing a real show in that type of setting, but a few women still braved it. As for the loud noise...that probably has more to do with the step than the shoe, no?

When I visited places, depending on the shoe, it was sometimes an adventure. I have some Ben Sherman shoes (brown Bello) that I LOVE....but they have a smooth patterned sole (not rubber, sorta woody?) and they were wicked slick on ice. So definitely take in consideration the weather you are going into, because the last thing you want is to wipe out on site!

Hi all. I am in a clinical Ph.D. program now so I'll probably be seeing some of you when we do our interview day. I just wanted to chime in and tell you that some of this stuff really doesn't matter as much as you might think, so you can relax a little.

About the bag/briefcase debate for women: I never saw any briefcases on women when I interviewed, most had skinny bags with clutch-type handles just big enough to hold a few folders or notebooks, which is exactly what you need to hold a couple copies of your CV and the inevitable "informational folder" you'll get on your first day.

And as for the "sea of black suits": I also didn't see this. There were 1 or 2 black suits but also plenty of gray (I wore gray myself) and blue. For women there were a few not wearing suits at all, but in my mind they stood out so I don't recommend it.

Hope this helps! And good luck to all of you.

I wore a sports jacket and tie to my interviews. I'm a male (a minority in this case) and the other males that were interviewees all had black suits and red ties. I don't think the professors looked down on me because I didn't wear a suit. Plus, this saved me a lot of money. A suggestion for females: DONT WEAR HIGH HEELS! The interviews I've been on involve a lot of walking around.

Hi all!
Wow, we put so much hope into getting interviews and then manage to collectively lose the plot over what to wear to them! I'm interviewing in LA in a couple of weeks, and coming from out of the country, I have absolutely no idea what's appropriate for an interview there! Pretty sure that I will just roast in a suit, so I'm considering black pencil skirt, short-sleeved fitted white blouse, black cardigan, the obligatory tan tights, and black closed-toed shoes with a little heel. Would be sooo grateful for any advice! Congrats on getting to this stage everybody!

Just finished shopping for a suit for interview. I wanted to be a little different, so I picked a dark brown pants suit, and then at the last minute I chickened out and went for black. Oh well.

...When I was traveling around for internship interviews I saw a lot of women still trying the skinny heel, but many where wearing the wider heel...especially in snowy places. I can't even imagine not wearing a real show in that type of setting, but a few women still braved it. As for the loud noise...that probably has more to do with the step than the shoe, no?

I think you psychodynamic people make these "typos" on purpose.

Hi all!
Wow, we put so much hope into getting interviews and then manage to collectively lose the plot over what to wear to them! I'm interviewing in LA in a couple of weeks, and coming from out of the country, I have absolutely no idea what's appropriate for an interview there! Pretty sure that I will just roast in a suit, so I'm considering black pencil skirt, short-sleeved fitted white blouse, black cardigan, the obligatory tan tights, and black closed-toed shoes with a little heel. Would be sooo grateful for any advice! Congrats on getting to this stage everybody!

Well I live in San Diego, and until a few days ago you'd be pretty cold in a short sleeved shirt. We're having a heat wave right now, but last week it was about 58 during the day and 45 at night. LA might be a little warmer (it's about 2 hours north), but even today you wouldn't have roasted in a suit. I'd just keep an eye on www.weather.com, good luck!

Hi all!

My advice would be to wear a suit (skirt suit if you like) with a jacket that you can take off (maybe wear the short-sleeved blouse under the suit jacket) - that way, you're equipped for whatever the weather ends up doing & you don't run the risk of being under (or over) dressed.

Rub it in T4C, I miss those sunny days....I woke up to six degree weather today *winces*. Thanks for the tip on the shoes, kind of like platforms but not so thick? I'd like to definitely avoid tripping!

The loud step....see it has to do with a certain kind of heel thats hollow on the inside, so when you step it makes a clicking/loud noise no matter how light you are on your feet. Its also louder on certain types of floors...see I have a couple of pairs of heels and this loud/click noise only occurs with one pair. Or maybe its all in my head, who knows?

:laugh:

--

As for weather...it was 83 yesterday and 80 today. This really is the best time of the year to live in S. FL. :D

I woke up to -4 in Chicago (-15 to -25 with the wind) yesterday. You're all wimps. :)

Rub it in T4C, I miss those sunny days....I woke up to six degree weather today *winces*. Thanks for the tip on the shoes, kind of like platforms but not so thick? I'd like to definitely avoid tripping!

The loud step....see it has to do with a certain kind of heel thats hollow on the inside, so when you step it makes a clicking/loud noise no matter how light you are on your feet. Its also louder on certain types of floors...see I have a couple of pairs of heels and this loud/click noise only occurs with one pair. Or maybe its all in my head, who knows?

Well I live in San Diego, and until a few days ago you'd be pretty cold in a short sleeved shirt. We're having a heat wave right now, but last week it was about 58 during the day and 45 at night. LA might be a little warmer (it's about 2 hours north), but even today you wouldn't have roasted in a suit. I'd just keep an eye on www.weather.com, good luck!

I'm with wdd...ya'll are wimps! It was 12 above when I left for school this morning and the windchill was below zero. We're expecting 3-5" of snow with some ice overnight.

58 degrees sounds like short-sleeved weather to me!! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much EqAnn and Born2Run... will keep an eye on that weather and stick with a suit... it sounds like it's all about layering! Good luck to you!xxx:luck: