What to wear to a job interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ara96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing fellowship and interviewing for jobs. A lot of places are requiring in person interviews. I was wondering what people recommend wearing for a job interview? This is not residency or med school, so I don't need to sell myself to anyone. Of course I dress business casual for patients, but do I gotta wear a suit and a tie? I'm going there just to see the place and see if its a good fit for me. They are desperately trying to sell themselves for me (the recruiter has been calling me for a year).

Thanks!

PS. I apologize if this is a very elementary question, I don't have much experience in applying for jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Wear a suit. If you're ever in doubt, dress up, not down. Life lesson.

Reactions: 7 users
Suit up. Best foot forward. You never know if by some alignment of the planets they somehow get more applicants than positions (unlikely), and it’s the job you really want. Not worth the risk. It also shows an appropriate level of respect. I don’t think it’s a good idea going in with the attitude they’re selling themselves to you. This may be mostly true, but there are places that don’t offer psychiatrists jobs even if they’re desperate because once you hire someone, if they turn out to have problems (professionalism, personality, etc) it’s quite a process to get rid of them. If you come in too casual, or entitled, it just raises the risk you rub someone the wrong way and don’t get a job offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're applying for a job at Walmart, always dress up and not down. Dressing down can send the message that you're not interested or don't care enough to put a little extra effort in. Suite and tie. And make sure you wash behind your ears. ;)

Finishing fellowship and interviewing for jobs. A lot of places are requiring in person interviews. I was wondering what people recommend wearing for a job interview? This is not residency or med school, so I don't need to sell myself to anyone.

If you want a job you do have to sell yourself to some extent. Agree with others wear a suit and I'd add try to look interested.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want a job you do have to sell yourself to some extent. Agree with others wear a suit and I'd add try to look interested.

This. I think residency programs need to educate their residents a bit more. Way too much "you're needed and king/queen of the world" and not enough "they don't HAVE to hire you."

I had a former colleague passed over for a job recently and the job was actually re-posted, which means they didn't find anyone. He didn't understand why they didn't offer it to him as he would have loved that job, but I suspect (based on knowing him) that he had the same attitude as the OP. Most employers don't want to work with high-maintenance folks who believe they don't need to impress them/sell themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
This. I think residency programs need to educate their residents a bit more. Way too much "you're needed and king/queen of the world" and not enough "they don't HAVE to hire you."

The ivory tower can't teach what they don't know. Regardless, it's not too much to expect psychiatry residents to exercise at least average judgment when interviewing. Even a 22 year old college graduate knows what to wear.

Doesn’t matter... they’ll hire you on the spot

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user