What to wear to view surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snitchseeker88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I going to view a small surgery today, and when I asked the doc what I should wear, he said he'd have to get me the stuff when I get there. But as for what I should wear going into the hospital, should I just wear my hospital volunteer uniform: polo, pants, sneakers? When he said he'd get me the clothes, I'm not sure if he meant he'd be getting me scrubs or a hospital gown to wear on top or what, so I'm not sure if I should be wearing something specific when I go in. It's just a minor surgery. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I going to view a small surgery today, and when I asked the doc what I should wear, he said he'd have to get me the stuff when I get there. But as for what I should wear going into the hospital, should I just wear my hospital volunteer uniform: polo, pants, sneakers? When he said he'd get me the clothes, I'm not sure if he meant he'd be getting me scrubs or a hospital gown to wear on top or what, so I'm not sure if I should be wearing something specific when I go in. It's just a minor surgery. Thanks in advance.

In all likelihood, you will have to change into scrubs of some kind and the facility will provide thse (they often require special laundering). clothes that will be easy to slip out of & stuff in a locker will be fine. In all likelihood, you'll wear booties over your shoes. And, whatever you do -- don't touch anyone or anything or let your body brush up against anything.

Thanks so much for the info LizzyM! I figured that would be the case, but I thought I'd ask just in case. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Usually hospitals will have scrubs for you to wear into the OR. I'm not sure since it's minor surgery, so maybe they won't need you to wear scrubs. You don't have a pair of scrubs? You should buy one for occasions like shadowing, volunteering, and such and plus you can use it in med school! So good investment :thumbup:

Anyways I wouldn't wear jeans, I would just wear khakis, tennis shoes, and a nice t-shirt is okay. Don't need to wear a polo or button up, too formal. He might just throw a yellow gown over you so that should be just fine! Trust me, it's weird when people wear overly formal clothes in the OR.

In all likelihood, you will have to change into scrubs of some kind and the facility will provide thse (they often require special laundering). clothes that will be easy to slip out of & stuff in a locker will be fine. In all likelihood, you'll wear booties over your shoes. And, whatever you do -- don't touch anyone or anything or let your body brush up against anything.

Good point. If this is your first time just remember GOLDEN RULE - don't touch ANYTHING or ANYONE in blue = sterile. Unless if the surgeon lets you scrub in then you are sterile too but most likely this won't happen on your first time.

Don't turn your back to anyone in blue (sterile), always face them when passing by in case they don't see you and bump into you!

HAVE FUN :)

Thanks. I actually do have some old scrub pants I wear sometimes when volunteering, but I figured that they'd most likely make me change out of them and put the clean hospital scrubs on anyway, so I didn't think to wear them. I'll keep the no touching rule in mind! :)

Is it possible that this type of information is either more accurate or readily available on the internet via anonymous forums than the hospital or physician one would be shadowing?

If so I find that mind-numbingly frightening. I'm not trying to get on to the OP except to say that in the future the importance of some questions might heed the answer of those who set the rules, not college students. Especially seeing the vast differences adhered to by different physicians, hospitals, etc.

I just keep seeing the exact same threads and I think that shows a lack of either organization or communication somewhere in the "system".

just sayin

Especially seeing the vast differences adhered to by different physicians, hospitals, etc.

It's not that different: Scrubs. Cover hair. Cover mouth/nose. Don't touch sterile areas. Cover shoes.

The rest is based on personalities than institution: do you ask questions? Observe quietly? Can you come in and leave without problems? etc. There aren't regulations for that, so you're best off asking or being attentive and aware.