rfvbnmju

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Charcoal or Navy Suit... Black shoes.... Conservative shirt and tie...

Check the interview clothing thread.

Sent from my phone.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Charcoal or Navy Suit... Black shoes.... Conservative shirt and tie...
OP is a woman so the tie might not be a good idea. Most women wear a black, gray or navy suit (skirt suit or pants suit), blouse or shell, heels or ballet flats.

OP
jvlop
Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
OP is a woman so the tie might not be a good idea. Most women wear a black, gray or navy suit (skirt suit or pants suit), blouse or shell, heels or ballet flats.
thanks I have a formal black long pencil skirt and I am picking between a white shirt with a black bow design or a grey button up long sleeve shirt and black heels, is that ok? should I wear tights?

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
OP there is a long women's interview clothing thread you can check out if you have any more concerns about specifics. Many SDNers post pictures of things they plan to wear, or post links to the store websites, to get others' opinions.

Definitely wear panty hose, definitely wear a jacket with your pencil skirt. Almost 100% of the people I have seen at my interviews have worn a full suit (jacket and skirt/pants).

Why are you just worrying about this a few days before....?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
thanks I have a formal black long pencil skirt and I am picking between a white shirt with a black bow design or a grey button up long sleeve shirt and black heels, is that ok? should I wear tights?
By "long" do you mean floor length? I hope not. Do you have a jacket to go with the skirt?

Tights? Your choice. Might be good if temps are low.

OP
jvlop
Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
By "long" do you mean floor length? I hope not. Do you have a jacket to go with the skirt?

Tights? Your choice. Might be good if temps are low.
Not floor length, under the knee

It not really hot around here so idk

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
OP - What you wear to your interview is important. It won't make you, but if inappropriate, can absolutely break you.

Search out the women's interview clothing thread and put together an outfit that follows the recommendations on that thread. If you don't own the appropriate items, buy them or borrow them. This is too important to try to throw something together at the last minute.

The number 1 most important item on that list is a jacket. You can pair a good jacket with a dress, or with dressy black slacks or skirt (not too tight) and have more flexibility with your shirt. But whatever you do, don't show up without a jacket on. You will regret it next year when you find yourself applying again.

OP
jvlop
Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
OP - What you wear to your interview is important. It won't make you, but if inappropriate, can absolutely break you.

Search out the women's interview clothing thread and put together an outfit that follows the recommendations on that thread. If you don't own the appropriate items, buy them or borrow them. This is too important to try to throw something together at the last minute.

The number 1 most important item on that list is a jacket. You can pair a good jacket with a dress, or with dressy black slacks or skirt (not too tight) and have more flexibility with your shirt. But whatever you do, don't show up without a jacket on. You will regret it next year when you find yourself applying again.
Thank you, i know how to dress profresionally, my main concern was colors, shoes and skirt or pants. I have a blazer that i will wear. Unfortunately my suit is unavailable. I still have that skirt i was talking about and black pants, either of which will go well with the blazer that i own. I have been to professional intervoews before as well as done poster presentations. Thank you

cde

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you, i know how to dress profresionally, my main concern was colors, shoes and skirt or pants. I have a blazer that i will wear. Unfortunately my suit is unavailable. I still have that skirt i was talking about and black pants, either of which will go well with the blazer that i own. I have been to professional intervoews before as well as done poster presentations. Thank you
Listen carefully to the people advising you here. This is NOT a poster presentation. This is the most important interview of your life and it is expected that you will dress to reflect that. DARK SUIT (not a blazer and pants), conservative blouse, pantyhose, low heeled dark shoes, minimal jewelry, minimal makeup, neutral nail polish. Anything else and you will feel out of place and lose your confidence before you even meet the interviewer. Good luck.

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
As long as you avoid distracting/bright colors, I'm sure you'll be okay. Make sure your hair isn't styled in a way where you'll have to fix it every couple minutes as well :p

You'd be surprised how often people show up with non-matching suit colors (a navy blue suit but the pants and blazer are different shades), or bright blouses (fucshia, etc.), or excessive jewelry xD

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I have been to professional intervoews before as well as done poster presentations. Thank you
Haha, sorry OP, but if you dressed for a poster presentation like you ought to for a medical school interview, you would have looked totally out of place. Personal pet peeve, but seriously: you can always tell who the undergrads are at a major conference because they show up in tall heels and a suit to stand around at a poster for 3 hours. Serious science people (grad students, post docs, PIs) make fun of you. For future, dress nicely but don't over-do-it for poster presentations. Khakis and a nice sweater are all you need. Really.

NB: I suppose that I can only talk about the Society for Neuroscience conference from personal experience...but with 33k participants, it's probably a good baseline to go off of.

OP
jvlop
Nov 5, 2013
Paradise
Status
Medical Student
The jacket i had did not match the pants or skirt so i ended up buying a blue/gray suit with a wine colored button up shirt.

Thanks for all the advice everybody! :)