What to write to non-top-choice waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Shakmadeek

If I am waitlisted at a school that is not my top choice, should i write them something? What should the letter say?

Members don't see this ad.

If you dont think you can do any better, you have two options, depending on your moral code:

You can lie out of your teeth (as authetic as you can make it) and tell them how its your top choice, you would kill your best friend to go there, and give them reasons why you like their school so much.

The other option is tell them you are very interested in the school for various reasons and would like to let them know that you would love to attend their school.

I guess a possible 3rd option is mail in a nude photo of yourself. Just hope the admissions director is into your gender.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that some schools will only consider taking you off the waitlist if you write a letter of love (Georgetown and Columbia.) Basically they want to hear how great they are and how humbled you would feel to receive their acceptance. Although you can get accepted without a letter of love, it can't hurt. I wrote in my letter to schools that waitlisted me that I enjoyed visiting the school, that I liked the program, blah blah blah. I praised the school without commiting myself to going there. Good luck.

Instead of saying that a school is your #1 choice, you could just say that you would drop your current acceptance at ______ to go to the school you're interested in (but that's not your top choice). This is a very strong statement, and you wouldn't be lying. In any case, I don't see how writing a letter can hurt. Just swallow your pride. :)