What tool do clinical psychologists use to diagnose patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skibz120

Reaction score
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

...many of them?

I'm guessing this is a homework help question, which is not allowed here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that psychologists have a different way for diagnosing than the DSM. I was wondering if I could have some clarification on this.

DSM criterion. I vastly prefer DSM-IV-TR conceptualizations to the more flawed DSM-V. Thankfully, i rarely if ever run into criterion differences that would impact the diagnosis. I code everything via ICD-10 nomenclature.

My typical referral is for neuropsych eval for TBI and/or polytrauma, so I almost always have the advantage of patient report, clinical judgement, and objective data to inform my dx’s and recommendations.

I make provisional diagnoses with rule outs during the initial intake and explain in the assessment report (neuro, pain, pre-surg, etc) if any of the provisional diagnoses changed as a result of the data and/or outside records I didn’t have at the initial intake.

I have heard that psychologists have a different way for diagnosing than the DSM. I was wondering if I could have some clarification on this.

The DSM is simply a book that lists all of the diagnoses and the symptoms of criteria that go into making that diagnosis. For example depressive sx must last at least two weeks. Medical doctors (and psychologists too) use the ICD-10 in the same way. Things like depression inventories, intelligence tests etc are just tools to narrow down the diagnosis (like a blood test or physical exam from a physician). Two different things.

Diagnostic labels (per the DSM) are a component of an overall clinical case formulation. Some have more utility than others, depending on the diagnostic label and depending on other aspects of the presentation or history. Most of them have more utility as 'descriptions' rather than 'explanations' however. There are some exceptions where the diagnosis has been investigated reasonably well and rigorously to utilize as an 'explanation' for signs/symptoms (e.g., acute stimulant intoxication could 'explain' sleeplessness, increased motor activity, and even hallucinations...but, of course, so can mania), but in the end I think that it's best to consider diagnostic labels (per the DSM) 'working hypotheses' with relevance to the overall clinical case formulation rather than 'answers.' Mental health diagnosis is much more of a 'process' (than a destination) in the early stages of assessment/treatment than many clinicians (and most patients, family members, or administrators) can appreciate.

Reactions: 1 users