What topics are covered on the DAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...specifically? General chem and Orgo 1 and 2, I know. I've heard that physics isn't included-- is this true? With regards to biology, if you could let me know specific areas that are covered (rather than just "intro bio"), it would be of great assistance. I assume cell bio is a must, but what of stuff like physio (human phys specifically?), microbio, genetics, and evolutionary theory?

As for the math, from what I've seen, many questions are simple quantitative reasoning problems. However, are there certain math courses that are recommended beyond HS math (sequential 1-3 for those in NYC), pre-calc and calculus 1? Also, what's this PAT I keep reading about on here? Something to do with perceptual abilities, I gather? Is it purely an online component (I realize the entire exam is administered online, but I'm wondering whether they'll actually have "props" in the room to answer problems with)? What's the best way to study for this portion of the exam in particular?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot. :) Any idea on the depth of statistics and trig necessary for the exam? For instance, is a course on stats necessary, or is merely being conversant enough? I guess I could look at practice exams to ascertain the depth of the questions asked.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Pre-Dent1 said:
Thanks a lot. :) Any idea on the depth of statistics and trig necessary for the exam? For instance, is a course on stats necessary, or is merely being conversant enough? I guess I could look at practice exams to ascertain the depth of the questions asked.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Stats are easy on the real thing. But you should begin practicing/reviewing for QRT now considering the tight constraint of only 45 minutes for 40 questions to be fully handled at. Many candidates usually lose their persistency by the time they come to the last section of the DAT. Make sure you'll have this overcome... :)