What type of admissions process would you prefer? (for everyone, not just TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of admissions process do you prefer?

• Match (one day, one acceptance)

Votes: 29 25.0%
  • Non-rolling (one release day for accept/waitlist/reject)

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Rolling

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • You're developing your new solution to this craziness

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

PeripateticMD

Peripatetic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in light of the current differing types of admissions and the differing types of anxiety they cause, which do you prefer?

Members don't see this ad.

Match - it's expensive, and you end up with only one option. but there's no stress of choosing, and it may decrease aid (or would it - woudn't MD schools still have the same aid to give out? hmmm)

Non-rolling - expensive still, but only one day to be completely anxious about (and it may up the number of mailman attacks on this given day)

Rolling - our addiction to SDN grows, we start stalking the mailman, but we know earlier, which can decrease costs and give us multiple days for our boyfriends/girlfriends/parents/friends to take us out to congratulatory dinner (we only get one of those if it's match or non-rolling).

Create your own - this may be the best option. Like a multiple match. Like, you get 2-3 choices or something... I don't know how it would work, but it would be cool to develop something like that...

either everyone is still asleep, or people are willing to be passive victims of the system! hehe. i'm going to go eat a mango.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that while a non-rolling system would probably be the best, a rolling system is just so much more fun! SDN would be a whole lot less interesting. I mean, who doesn't want to neurotically check their email like every five minutes?

match only meant stress a week before the match day. rolling would mean stress for weeks or months. i mean, if residency programs all use a match system, why can't med schools do that?

match only meant stress a week before the match day. rolling would mean stress for weeks or months. i mean, if residency programs all use a match system, why can't med schools do that?
A) Finances don't really play a role in residency decisions. They all get paid roughly the same and you know this info before you rank.
B) There are many flaws in the match and some shady stuff happens. Read the General Residency Forum.

Rolling = greater peace of mind. I would rather know my fate sooner rather than later. It sucks if you don't get in early via the rolling system, but it's wonderful if you do. Waiting until March to find out whether or not you have to reapply to med school is not cool.

One in which you get in for merit and not for political reasons, corruption or nepitism.

The match should be done like the residency match where you have the osteopathic match before the allopathic match, but skipping the part about being obligated to go to the osteopathic program if you match. That way you would know if you have a safety school or not......

The real reason why this whole process takes so long is because schools have to file through thousands of applications. Twenty years ago applicant used to apply to five schools max and would usually receive one or two acceptances. The way the process works today there are people who hold 15 acceptance letters when they really intend on only going to 3 or four of those schools. If people applied to only eight schools that they really wanted to go to and knew they have a realistic shot at, this process would go by much faster.
This idea would not being looked upon favorably by medical schools because they will lose millions in application fees.

Dave

The real reason why this whole process takes so long is because schools have to file through thousands of applications. Twenty years ago applicant used to apply to five schools max and would usually receive one or two acceptances. The way the process works today there are people who hold 15 acceptance letters when they really intend on only going to 3 or four of those schools. If people applied to only eight schools that they really wanted to go to and knew they have a realistic shot at, this process would go by much faster.
This idea would not being looked upon favorably by medical schools because they will lose millions in application fees.

Dave

Haha. I like this idea... med schools could maybe make up the money by offering quality medical admissions counseling that would help kids come up with the 10 schools (or 8) that they should apply to.