what type of applicants get into medical school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by basha, Oct 18, 2001.

1. basha

basha Senior Member

Hi everyone. some people who have been thru the admissions process really come to understand the "real" selection criteria. They know what kind of applicant gets in, as in what that applicant is expected to write in the secondaries and what he/she says in the interview, to get in. If you consider yourself an insider to the admissions process, please do share you expertise here. I understand, ofcourse, that there are many applicants who don't fit this criteria and still get in. And if one does fit the criteria, he/she isnt neccesarily going to get accepted. thanks a lot.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie

Basha, I think you said it well yourself:

Not everyone who fits certain "criteria" get in, and lots of people who DONT fit said "criteria" also get in. It truly depends on the student, the interviewers, and how everyone's feeling that day. For example, in my class, there are people with SO MANY differences:

1) Me. I am a 22 year old coming straight out of college. I had only one internship experience and no other volunteering. I had a GPA of ~3.6, MCAT of 30-O, majored in computer science. I went to a very small, all women's liberal arts college. My essay was logical, but also from the heart (i.e. I would let other people read it b/c it revealed too much of my feelings). I got in first time round.

2) A 30-something year old guy, married with two children. Had a college GPA of 2.37. Went to a very large state university. Took postbacc, and got a masters, made 4.0. Was a paramedic for years, and taught paramedics-in-training.

3) Another friend of mine: A 24 year old guy. Went to Tufts. Majored in Biology (I think). Got good grades (dont know exactly, but 3.5+), kicked butt on the MCAT (35..I think?). Applied 3 times. 1st time, rejected everywhere. He did a year of research at Southwestern. Second time, waitlisted some places, accepted at american university of beirut (Lebanon). He went there, but reapplied for the last time. This time he was accepted. He left AUB and came back to the states.

4) FouthTime - he used to post here sometimes, he probably stopped cause of lack of time. Go read his story sometime. (and yes, 4th time is indicative of how many times he applies)

I think this shows how different applicants can be. Just be yourself. Make sure that your personal statement reflects YOU, not what you think adcoms "want to hear". Ditto with your interviews. Good luck

Star

4. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member

Hi,

Just my thoughts, but I think they look for people who do not write on an essay what is expected of them, who is unique with unique experiences. I think above, they look for genuiness, someone who is being themselves on apps. Not pandering to adcomms.

I personally refuse to pander to anyone or kiss their ass. I intend to be myself, because to not be authentic, would be against my moral values. If I don't get in, it wasn't meant to be. If I do, wonderful. My dream is fulfilled. Don't get the impression I don't want to go to medical school, I want it very badly...but just because we want something with all our hearts and souls does not mean we get it.

Portray your passion, your feelings, your guts and heart about medicine and why you want to be there. Work your passions and motivations into worthwhile experiences outside of school. Do all thinks meaningingful TO YOU.

Authenticity..I think that is the key word.

Alicia

5. HairlessHeart

HairlessHeart Member

I agree with snowballz 100%. Besides working my a** of in undergrad, I made sure to be completely honest and authentic in my application esays. I think that's what put me over the top. Adcomms have a good idea as to what type of individuals excel at their university. By being honest, I wanted to be sure that I would be a good "fit" to their approach to teaching medicine.

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I definitely agree about being honest in this process. You may be able to put together a fine looking app on paper, but adcoms can tell if what you wrote, and what you say at interviews, is really what you are. I hope that made something resembling sense to you all. :)

7. basha

basha Senior Member

that all definitely makes sense. thank you all for the responses. Also, i wonder what wouldn't be considered genuine or expected, since there is no way of recognizing it. Did your application and interview have elements that sounded honest, or maybe was it your attitude that got you in. Is being honest giving adcoms that accept me or reject me feeling. If so, why is so effective.

8. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I don't think so. I think being honest is, well, just being honest. If you are asked a question, either on a secondary or in an interview, answer it honestly. When you elaborate to support your stance, you won't appear to be groping for reasons, as would be the case if you made up your answer to try and look good for them.

I think my biggest selling point is that I feel comfortable with my opinions, and when I talked with my interviewers they seemed to sense that. I just think they get tired of seeing applicants with the usual "canned" responses that are given all the time.

I suppose the main point is to be yourself (I know you've heard this one a hundred times).

9. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    I think what helps tremendously in terms of how you can express honesty and genuinety (is that a word?) in your essay/interview is to support whatever you state. Instead of merely saying/writing "I want to help people" or "I am a caring and dedicated person" etc, SHOW instead of tell by using examples.