Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering what kind of community service is acceptable or preferable when applying to dental school.
Does it have to be hospitals, I like to volunteer at local shelters because they don't require a lot of tb tests and references, so it's easier for me.

Any suggestions? and how can I find opportunity to do community service ? and how people actually count the hours they have done community service? I mean I've been visiting that shelter each month or so an I stay there for 3 hours, should I just assume it was like 30 hours more or less?

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Whatever type of community service that you enjoy and find meaningful is ok. There are tons of opportunities out there, either with your campus clubs or online with a quick search on Google.

I had an Excel sheet where I kept track of my hours. Some people would estimate it like you did there. Personal preference.

Reactions: xerxes106
Dec 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental, Other Health Professions Student
Illumident nailed it. Do community service you enjoy. Makes it far more engaging.

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
I was wondering what kind of community service is acceptable or preferable when applying to dental school.
Does it have to be hospitals, I like to volunteer at local shelters because they don't require a lot of tb tests and references, so it's easier for me.

Any suggestions? and how can I find opportunity to do community service ? and how people actually count the hours they have done community service? I mean I've been visiting that shelter each month or so an I stay there for 3 hours, should I just assume it was like 30 hours more or less?
Do what you love, rack up as many hours as you can. If you serve as a director/officer, that's key to showing leadership. Are you still in undergrad? There's TONS of outreach programs you can participate in. If you're no longer in school, you can look up Craigslist or local classified to find some nearby events you can participate in.

OP
Faefly

Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Thank you guys for you replies. Much appreciated!
How about if I start my own org to help people?
Do I count the hours there as well?