What type of community service ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of community service is acceptable or preferable when applying to dental school.
Does it have to be hospitals, I like to volunteer at local shelters because they don't require a lot of tb tests and references, so it's easier for me.

Any suggestions? and how can I find opportunity to do community service ? and how people actually count the hours they have done community service? I mean I've been visiting that shelter each month or so an I stay there for 3 hours, should I just assume it was like 30 hours more or less?

Members don't see this ad.

Illumident nailed it. Do community service you enjoy. Makes it far more engaging.

I was wondering what kind of community service is acceptable or preferable when applying to dental school.
Does it have to be hospitals, I like to volunteer at local shelters because they don't require a lot of tb tests and references, so it's easier for me.

Any suggestions? and how can I find opportunity to do community service ? and how people actually count the hours they have done community service? I mean I've been visiting that shelter each month or so an I stay there for 3 hours, should I just assume it was like 30 hours more or less?
Do what you love, rack up as many hours as you can. If you serve as a director/officer, that's key to showing leadership. Are you still in undergrad? There's TONS of outreach programs you can participate in. If you're no longer in school, you can look up Craigslist or local classified to find some nearby events you can participate in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for you replies. Much appreciated!
How about if I start my own org to help people?
Do I count the hours there as well?