What type of doctor best fits me? Plz help

Triptrip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a highschool senior 4.2 gpa, I have a huge interest in the medical field but a family life is very very important for me. I just wanted to know what type of physician best suits my wants. I don't mind to work 45-60 hours a week I would just like to be home by 3pm when my kids would be getting home. So preferably work like 5am-2/3pm. Hopefully something that makes over 200k. I would like to start working asap no 6 year residencys. Call would be alright. I'm interested in cardiology but I hear it dosent sit well with family life. Any suggestions for me? (Not dermatology)

Members don't see this ad.

No two medical specialities will have the same daily schedule. Even within a single speciality, it is not unusual for your schedule to vary from one day to the next. That said, the vast majority of physicians do not have a schedule that would allow them to be home by 3pm every day. Surgeons may often start as early as you suggested, but often have OR cases, clinic, etc. to occupy their time until 5-6pm. Surgeons have some of the longest hours and that usually translates to less available free time. You could certainly have some day-to-day flexibility that would allow you to have days where you leave earlier, but this would not be the norm. Part-time positions exist in areas of primary care, but keep in mind that the less time you spend seeing patients the less money you will make.

At your stage, you should focus your energy on simply determining whether medicine is the right career path for you. Talk to physicians to learn more about their schedules, try and shadow them, and see if you can get some firsthand experience in a hospital or clinic to see if you could be happy with the typical physician work-life balance. Once you are in medical school, you will have time to explore different specialities and see which areas match your interests. Try not to latch onto a specific speciality now (or prematurely rule out others like dermatology) before you have a chance to experience them.

If having lots of free time after work is the most important factor for you, then you should also consider other healthcare fields with more regular hours. There are many other areas you could explore including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, pharmacy, optometry, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Family medicine could fit your needs.
Now stop worrying about this since you're not even in college, let alone med school.