What type of doctor or therapist is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyrraah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in high school and I'm currently studying different science courses to prepare myself for a career in the health sciences. I would really love to pursue a career in rehabilitation, because it's something I've always loved, and I think I would do well there. However, I'm not sure what type of doctor or therapist I should be looking at. My main goal is to work with people who have been wounded in wars, stroke victims, working with people who are have prosthetic limbs.. that kind of deal. I'm not sure if that's a physical therapist, occupational therapist, or a physiatrist, and it would be really helpful if anyone can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Additional info on other related professions: Below is a link to a list of schools with orthotic and prosthetic education:
http://www.ncope.org/students/schools/

But understand that several positions within healthcare work with these individuals you mention. "wounded in wars, stroke victims, working with people who are have prosthetic limbs.. that kind of deal" However, prosthetic limbs can also be seen in patients with diabetes. If you want to work with veterans specifically, my suggestion is to look into positions working at VA hospitals, although here too, you will be dealing with patients that may have chronic disorders ontop of military related injuries. Your best bet is not think about the population you want to work with but understand what each of those positions do and how they work together. Start shadowing and be prepared to ask questions that help you navigate which career would best suit you.

Reactions: 1 user
Both physical therapists and occupational therapists work in rehab with the types of patients you describe, but in different ways. Your best bet is to shadow each profession so that you can see for yourself what they do from day to day.

Members don't see this ad :)
A physiatrist or physiotherapist is just another name for physical therapist

A physiatrist or physiotherapist is just another name for physical therapist
I believe a physiatrist is an MD/DO who specializes in rehabilitation (PM&R).

Reactions: 2 users
A physical therapist can specialize in neurology and help people who had a stroke, spinal cord injuries, have Parkinson's disease, or any neurological deficits caused by trauma or other mechanisms (optional).
PTs can work in a rehab setting. For example, inpatient rehabilitation. People who get into a car wreck and sustain a traumatic brain injury and lose a limb could be admitted here and may need you to help them learn to walk again and live with certain deficits pertaining to loss of memory, vision, or even the ability to feel or move half of their body. They also may need you to get fitted for an appropriate orthotic.
PTs can work with patients in the ICU who have just been stabilized after and incident. They can work with military victims.
Anything to help anyone get back to independence. Example, someone has a new hand orthotic and you have to teach them what they can do to drive again (if they legally can).