What type of Management Style is most effective in managing health professionals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a possible interview question and i have no clue!
Help plz?

Also, Should Pharmacists by able to prescribe independently? Why and why not?
If you would like to share your opinion please do. And if you know of any websites or threrads that discuss these issues can you please refer me to them?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Since I'm not a hospital administrator, I can't generalize for all health care professionals.

However, within the field of pharmacy, it is generally recognized there are 3 management styles: autocratic, participative or a combination of both.

I believe, within hospital pharmacy administration, the combination style works the best, altho Zpak would have a better handle on this than me since I've only been a clinical manager not a dop.

There are definitely times & situations in which the autocratic style must be used - designing controlled drug policies, etc.... But, when dealing with things like scheduling - those are more productively handled with a participative style.

Likewise, when dealing with policies that go outside the department of pharmacy - say, pca orders or tpn policies - a combination works better.

So - it depends on the circumstance.

As for pharmacist prescribing - you'll find opinions ranging the whole gamut of pros to cons. Personally, I'm in favor of it within a collaborative practice agreement & even then, depending on again on the cpa - only by those who have the skills & abilities.

As for how to get up to date on current trends if you're not already in the field - I think you could subscribe to Medscape online which might give you some insight into things which are currently being talked about in the field.

If, however, these are interview questions - there is no one RIGHT answer. They want to know what your thoughts are & if you've given some thought to it. So...I'm glad you're here & you asked - it shows you've given that thought. But, you could be interviewing with an absolute WITCH of a community pharmacist who insists that each thing be placed just so & each rx be initialed just here.....so use caution in how vehemently you give any answer, but be confident there could be many answers.

Hope I didn't confuse you too far:p !

Since I'm not a hospital administrator, I can't generalize for all health care professionals.

However, within the field of pharmacy, it is generally recognized there are 3 management styles: autocratic, participative or a combination of both.

I believe, within hospital pharmacy administration, the combination style works the best, altho Zpak would have a better handle on this than me since I've only been a clinical manager not a dop.

There are definitely times & situations in which the autocratic style must be used - designing controlled drug policies, etc.... But, when dealing with things like scheduling - those are more productively handled with a participative style.

Likewise, when dealing with policies that go outside the department of pharmacy - say, pca orders or tpn policies - a combination works better.

So - it depends on the circumstance.

As for pharmacist prescribing - you'll find opinions ranging the whole gamut of pros to cons. Personally, I'm in favor of it within a collaborative practice agreement & even then, depending on again on the cpa - only by those who have the skills & abilities.

As for how to get up to date on current trends if you're not already in the field - I think you could subscribe to Medscape online which might give you some insight into things which are currently being talked about in the field.

If, however, these are interview questions - there is no one RIGHT answer. They want to know what your thoughts are & if you've given some thought to it. So...I'm glad you're here & you asked - it shows you've given that thought. But, you could be interviewing with an absolute WITCH of a community pharmacist who insists that each thing be placed just so & each rx be initialed just here.....so use caution in how vehemently you give any answer, but be confident there could be many answers.

Hope I didn't confuse you too far:p !
Thank you so much for the feedback.
You made things clearer for me. At least now i have a starting point for researching these topics, and you definitely helped me understand the questions.
Thanks