What type of Masters program is the best fit??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpotatos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I graduated the end of summer 2007 with a BA in psych, and Communication Studies to supplement/fill-in additional hours, and now i hope to pursue my masters...and possibly PsyD...(i think, as opposed to PhD...since I am more interested in therapy versus research)...and I was wondering what type of masters program would be the best fit...

Right now, I have a job working adults who have mental illness...I guess its more of a social work/casework job where i work with them (generally 2 people on a regular basis) 3-5 days a week..[reminding them to take their meds, encourage them to do their chores (i.e. household cleaning/maintenance), ensure they get to med/psychiatric appt(s), help them budget at the store, encourage them with/to do social endeavors/volunteer opportunities, etc....basically just helping them function and become more productive individuals].

Although this position seems to be at the bottom of the totem pole, I felt it would be good hands on experience with people who have various mental illnesses...and couldn't hurt my attempts to get into a good grad school. Anyway, I have been doing this for about 4 months now...and like other forums have explained quite well...it is easy to get burnt out fast doing this type of work, not that I do not respect it.

So I guess some of my questions are:

- How long do you think I should continue to work in this field in order for it to be relevant and helpful to getting into grad school?????

- And, what type of Masters program would be the best to apply for...clinical, counseling, MSW…etc....?????

- Also, if I do or do not decide to continue to get my PsyD or PhD…would this change what masters degree program would be the best choice???

- Can I practice therapy without a doctoral degree anyway??...and if so, to what capacity?

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated……………..

(At the time being, I believe that in the future I will want to work as a therapist as opposed to a psychiatrist…since it seems like they have more frequent visits with the patients…hope this helps….)
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.