what type of medical insurance does HPSP get you while you are in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does it compare to medicaid and employer based insurance? Is there a co payment every time you visit a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, you don't get any medical while on HPSP except if you participate in an annual training? I am not sure about this, but I am curious to find out. Hopefully, someone will come along and clarify.

as far as insurance goes...dont quote me on this but...i think you will be covered under the HPSP if you are going to a school that requires that you have THEIR insurance policy. Other than that...you're on your own. But as i said..dont quote me

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe your correct Shamrock. I went to Loma Linda which required all students to purchase the school's health insurance policy and the HPSP paid for it.

i think you will be covered under the HPSP if you are going to a school that requires that you have THEIR insurance policy.

This is probably just semantics, but the military willl cover your insurance premiums if your school requires you have health insurance (apparently some do not). It does not have to require you have their insurance. I currently go to Creighton where you can pay for the school insurance or provide insurance of your own, but you are required to have some form of health insurance to be a student. So, the AF pays for my health insurance. Hope this wasn't just me beating a dead horse.

What about health insurance if you are on HPSP and have dependents, like an unemployed spouse and child? From what I see here, if the school requires it, the military will pick up the cost for the student, but what about their dependents?

I think that when I went to Loma Linda they required THEIR insurance for you and your family, so if you had a dependent I think they would be covered under the schools plan, but I was single so I don't know for sure.