What type of Nurse receives the largest wage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistermike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would want to become a nurse but lately I've been hearing so many different people talk about how much nurses are making starting off. So how much would a general RN make starting out?

And one other question.. what type of nurse or subspeciality RN makes the most money?

Members don't see this ad.

Sister-,

I noticed that you are from MI so I'll put some perspective. The usual starting wage for an RN working at a hospital is around 19 not including shift differntials.

Henry ford is 19.80. Detroit Medical Center is 19.11. this of course does not include any additional overtime that you may wish to pick up.

Usually, many nurses can work extra hours through overtime or work through an agency. In this case, salaries are usually much higher ranging in 30-45/hr depending on experience/skills.

I live in NW Kansas and the PRN Rns at the medical center here make 21.00 an hour. That is with no experience. They also make 8% more for 3-11p, 12% more for 11p-7a, and 15% more for weekends. In the PRN contract you have 3 levels you can receive 20% more of base pay by working 64 hrs in a 6 week scheduling period or 25% more of base pay for working 96 hours in a 6 week period. Because RNs are in such a high demand and the cost of contract nurses in increasing, Hays medical center is offering to pay there nurses double time for coming in on their days off if they have high census at the hospital. I would say that the highest paid nurses are in acute care such as ICU $25.00, CPCU, SICU, etc. Plus we get 100.00 bonuses a lot, about every six months.My nursing instructors say that they expect that the wages of nurses will increase over the next few years due to demand. If you are concidering nursing, it SHOULD NOT be about money. It should be about your love of the patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing Anesthetists make mid $100K. All you need is 1 or 2 years above a college nursing degree.

Go for it!

It's not quite that easy "1 or 2 years post college level"

Last edited: