Technology what type of PDA is most useful for 3rd year medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldtang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international student currently enrolled in a medical school in China (Peking university MD program) and I began my clinical rotation 2 months ago.
Now I'm considering buying a PDA for my rotation. But none of my classmates have one, so they cannot give me any suggestion.
As far as I know, there are several types available on the market: Palm OS, iPhone, PocketPC, Blackberry, WindowsMobile and so on.
So which one do you think is most useful (but not too expensive) for medical student?
Thanks for any responses in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

ipod touch unless you're ready to spring for the iphone

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest either:
1. an iPhone or iPod touch

or

2. a Windows Mobile phone that has a touch screen
This way, you'll have access to a wide range of medical software that is very useful during those rotations.

What about Palm? I've found a variety of medical resources for Palm

What about Palm? I've found a variety of medical resources for Palm

Even though the Palm OS is essentially "dead" from a development standpoint, Palm OS devices are still very useful, arguably more so than many of the alternatives. They aren't going away overnight. There's a huge installed base out there, and most applications will remain available for quite some time. If you're looking for a low-cost, high-value entry into the smartphone or PDA world, it's hard to beat a Centro or Tungsten TX.

Absolutely, App Store is loaded with great medical applications. I took an ipod touch. should be a great resource. And many medical reference books are present in iSilo format.