what type of research to do in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an M1 next year and have my sight set on Anesthesia (although this could obviously change). What type of reseach should I do in med school to help secure a top residency? Does the research have to relate directly to the specialty or is any research helpful. Any other tips are appreciated as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Only do research if you are actually interested in research not to get into top programs
every year MOST applicants who get into the "top" programs dont have a 1- or 2-yr research fellowship during med school

board scores and clinical evals play the most important role along with doing away electives at these places. if you dont meet their board cut offs MOST times you wont even get looked at regardless of how much research youve done.

so if you are doing this to boost your application, it will not have a tremendous effect other than be another plus for ya

Do well in your boards and clinicals and you can get into pretty much any program you want

I guess I worded my question poorly. I will be doing researach b/c I enjoy it (I thought of doing MD/PHD). But I was just curious if resident programs cared what kind of research you do.

I don't like research, necessarily. It's important, I'm curious, and I'm pretty decent at it, so that's why I do it.

You don't have to work in the anesthesia department, but the work should be related to anesthesia in some way. There's many different types of research: clinical, basic science, chart review, meta-analyses. I prefer clinical work because I'm more of a hands on person. It's important to choose the right kind of project and a topic you're actually interested in.

Also, any joker can put research on their resume.... the programs are only impressed if you know what you are talking about on the interview or have some publications.