What type of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to the idea of research for Med school. What kind of research should I be looking for? Does any sort of psychology research count? Where can I start looking?

Members don't see this ad.

Any research is good. Anything related to medicine - even better.

You can ask your professors about research or go to the faculty department page and then just shotgun email all of them about research positions. There are also a lot of summer research programs out there that you can apply to.

Any research is good. Medicine related research is better only if you are a huge contributor to the project. If you are more of a grunt/scut worker trying to get your feet wet in research, as long as you are involved and learning the concepts, any area of research is acceptable. Psychology research is fine.

Of course all of this depends on if you want to go to a research heavy medical school, such as Johns Hopkins, Mayo, etc.

-Senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

Members don't see this ad :)
Any research is fine, I think going through the process is more important than the specifics, the skills that you learn as a researcher will help you along the medical path.

Anything is good as long as you get exposed to lab work and the scientific method. Aim for an internship if you are a science major. See how the pros do it. I learned vastly more relevant chemisty, lab techinques, pharmacology, biochemistry, and biology on the job during my internship than anything that I ever learned in a textbook or class during my undergrad career.