What type of school do you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My undergraduate institution is...

• USNews top 15

Votes: 50 25.4%
  • USNews ranked 16-30

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • USNews ranked 31-45

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • USNews ranked 46-60

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • Lower than USNews top 60

Votes: 74 37.6%

• Total voters

randombetch

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't affected too much by people from lower ranked schools not wanting to respond to the poll as much as people from big name schools.

I've been curious, and now hopefully I'll get to see what kind of undergraduate institution distribution we have.

Members don't see this ad.

poll fail :p

edit: ooo you are fast sir

poll fail :p

edit: ooo you are fast sir

Haha, it takes a little time after posting the thread to make the poll!

Wow, you're the fast one.. Posted and edited your post in the time it took for me to make the poll and click refresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i think we got lucky with the timing

Hopefully this isn't affected too much by people from lower ranked schools not wanting to respond to the poll as much as people from big name schools.

I've been curious, and now hopefully I'll get to see what kind of undergraduate institution distribution we have.

US News ranks my institute as 300. However at the sametime my college is ranked number 1 in the up and coming universities and higher then Yale on academic success and research opportunities. Also in my state has the highest percent of students going for Masters and doctorate programs, even higher then John Hopkins.
So its funny really, that my university is that lowly ranked at US News ranking.

US News ranks my institute as 300. However at the sametime my college is ranked number 1 in the up and coming universities and higher then Yale on academic success and research opportunities. Also in my state has the highest percent of students going for Masters and doctorate programs, even higher then John Hopkins.
So its funny really, that my university is that lowly ranked at US News ranking.

I feel your pain. My small liberal arts college was ranked higher than Harvard and Yale by the Princeton Review in terms of quality of undergrad academic education. When I showed up for med schools interviews, none of the other students being interviewed had a clue about my school. But I was admitted to a top ten med school, so apparently, no prejudice from the ad comms.

The only category my school ranks high on is partying and pot smoking.
[pun not intended]

...Which just means better grading curves for me to take advantage of :D

What you achieve in life, ultimately, depends on what you bring to the table. In med school, and residency, the people at the table will figure you out pretty quickly and will not worry about your pedigree. You can be a mutt, but if you get the job done when all hell is breaking loose, you will be respected as a valuable member of the team.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol do tell.. how do you get paid to attend?

I have a state scholarship that pays a certain amount per semester. Then a school scholarship on top of that which overflows after tuition is paid to about $600 per semester.

I use it to buy books and just keep the rest for other stuff.

It's Johns Hopkins. Sorry, I can't help it

Hmmm much more bimodal than I had expected.

By US News standards, I went to a Tier 3 school. Forbes ranked it in the top 20. Its a small state school with no religious affiliation and just shy of 10K undergrad students. It has linkage to a top 10 medical school. Other professional degrees offered are Law, Nursing, Pharmacy and most recently, eMBA...blah, blah, blah.

Is UCLA tier 1 or 2? I get so many different opinions on it.

Me neither :confused:

You might not be on the national list--do a search for your school, see what comes up.

On the other hand, a lot of schools choose not to participate in these things, in which case--yay for your schools, standing up to these ridiculous things.

USNews rankings kinda suck. I see some schools on here that I wouldn't necessarily consider to be "top."

USNews rankings kinda suck. I see some schools on here that I wouldn't necessarily consider to be "top."

There was something I read that divulged the formula for these things and it is absolutely ridiculous.

About 25-30% is based on 'peer evaluation' where the president of a university ranks the other ones. UF's president ranked Florida above Harvard and stuff like that - that shows how biased certain parts of the score can be.

Community College F'dML in high school. :thumbdown:
If they were to tier CC's, mine would have been the community college of community colleges.
community college of the community college.. in a good way.. or bad way? :)
The community college I'm in has a good reputation.
Next semester I'll be attending Rutgers university which is ranked 66

community college of the community college.. in a good way.. or bad way? :)
The community college I'm in has a good reputation.
Next semester I'll be attending Rutgers university which is ranked 66

Bad way.
I do not know how they truly match up with other CC's. But since I did piss poor in my HS calc class there -- I view it as a cesspool of rotten damnation.

Bad way.
I do not know how they truly match up with other CC's. But since I did piss poor in my HS calc class there -- I view it as a cesspool of rotten damnation.
:smuggrin: That sucks. My Professor for physics told me the statistics for the CC, he said kids who graduate from our CC have a higher gpa than those who did their first 2 years in a 4 year university... so its interesting.

My school is tier 4, meaning it's in the bottom 25 percent. Not too surprising, though - the state only recognized it as a 'real' University like ten, fifteen years ago. We seriously ONLY got University-controlled housing (dorms, greek, what have you) about four years ago.

Not to mention mine is a commuter school, and most of the students here transfer from community colleges. We've got about 50,000 students, 30,000 of whom are non-trad, non-degree seeking, or post-bac students. The other 20,000 are undergrads seeking degrees.

We're also an urban school in a city I adore, which is one reason I picked it (keeping in mind I had no intention to go into medicine when I picked out a school). When it comes to business, we're cream of the crop. But for most everything else, we're average.

But I love this school, even if I hate the administration and how some classes are done (all labs = separate from lectures + Pass/Fail option only). :rolleyes:

nice bimodal distribution so far

Hmmm much more bimodal than I had expected.

I imagine you both know this, but I'm just going to state it anyway. This data is only bimodal due to the cramming of thousands of colleges into the fourth category in comparison to three other categories of 15 school each. One could attempt to break down category 4 based on based on number of responses and an approximate total number of colleges (which would give each sub-category of category four a minuscule number of responses, since there are thousands of colleges), but anyway this graph is actually logarithmic. If I'm wrong, apologies: do correct me.

I imagine you both know this, but I'm just going to state it anyway. This data is only bimodal due to the cramming of thousands of colleges into the fourth category in comparison to three other categories of 15 school each. One could attempt to break down category 4 based on based on number of responses and an approximate total number of colleges (which would give each sub-category of category four a minuscule number of responses, since there are thousands of colleges), but anyway this graph is actually logarithmic. If I'm wrong, apologies: do correct me.

The thing is, since the first group is 15 schools, it'd visually misleading if we had groups with different numbers of colleges than 15.

Furthermore, after the top 60, the schools are all pretty much equal in prestige.

Sweet my suck ass college with 1500 students is tier 1.... Now I can sleep better at night, o wait I still hate it here.. Damn it should have went to a big party school!!!

University of Arizona! Ranked 102 nationally. ranked 48th in terms of public schools. wow...that is quite a drop since i enrolled as a freshmen...we were either ranked 11th or 13th in public universities then. lol.

BUT....in 2009, playboy magazine ranked the University of Arizona as the 5th best party school in the country....woot woot! waiting for the 2010 rankings to come out :D

the change in the data since last night seems to bear out your point.. though for practical purposes, the grouping as is works

Interesting... A lot more top 15 school students here than I had imagined. But then again, those from the top 15 may be more inclined to vote.

I think this poll gives me a pretty good idea of the distribution. Thanks for voting!

Interesting... A lot more top 15 school students here than I had imagined. But then again, those from the top 15 may be more inclined to vote.

I think this poll gives me a pretty good idea of the distribution. Thanks for voting!

Or people are being disingenuous with their replies.

An insignificant ~3500 student public liberal arts school.

Just to prove that these rankings mean absolutely nothing. Lasell College in Newton is ranked number 30 and a tier 1.............

My undergrad is ranked lower than 60 but is t1. I got paid to go there, and I am in med school, so whatever, rankings for undergrad doesn't mean much.

Once you start med school, you're all at the same level. It's actually really entertaining to watch some of the Ivy or top 10 kids when they start, cause they sort of get this face when they tell you where they went to school...and then no one cares. Undergrad is over. Whether you went to Harvard or a Tier 3 state school, if you're at the same med school, you're equally uncool and know the same amount of information.

Gotta go with the power puff on this one. Also, when did schools ranked lower than 60 become "low-ranked," and when did people start being embarrassed to attend them?

what the f. Mine is ranked 61 - that is so not fair :p

Oh well, it's only counted lower because US News hates Texas. We don't have liberal enough universities to appease them.

I went to a tier 1 school back in the day. It was actually top 5 for the program I was accepted to. Honestly, the perceived prestige of a school seems less important than the quality of the alumni association once you get out. I've had so many notes left on my car and job offers strictly because they were alumni. That is one reason I think if you are truly indifferent to a big school or small school, go to the bigger school if they have a near fanatical alumni association. Annoying at first, but beneficial later.

what the f. Mine is ranked 61 - that is so not fair :p

Oh well, it's only counted lower because US News hates Texas. We don't have liberal enough universities to appease them.
is everything a liberal conspiracy to you texans