What types of clothing are just inbetween formal and casual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janderson001

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to attend a poster conference soon.
I was told that it would be best to wear a clothing that's just inbetween formal and casual, that a suit and tie are not really necessary but something too casual isn't acceptable either. (I don't like to wear a suit because it feels so uncomfortable)
Any suggestions?
Btw I'm a guy.

Members don't see this ad.

Slacks and a dress shirt, but no tie.

forasual or casormal, your choice

Members don't see this ad :)
237462_f260.jpg

I'd say khakis, button up and maybe a tie. Definitely not a sport coat, but the tie is a maybe.

I'd go slacks and dress shirt without a tie. That's acceptable for a wide array of situations, so I doubt anyone will have a problem with it.

Hahaha that was good.

But it's still prevalent... I saw a guy get capped in his face on St. Patrick's day.

I hope you offered consolation by running over and telling him "don't worry, I'm pre-med."

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL at The Cosby Show, the quintessial exhibit of the oftentimes forgotten black upper-middle class family.

I'm going to attend a poster conference soon.
I was told that it would be best to wear a clothing that's just inbetween formal and casual, that a suit and tie are not really necessary but something too casual isn't acceptable either. (I don't like to wear a suit because it feels so uncomfortable)
Any suggestions?
Btw I'm a guy.

Whoever gave you these instructions is not helpful (explaining your post, right?). By the old-school definitions, Formal would mean a Tuxedo or reasonable facsimile. Casual would mean anything less than a suit, but would not include jeans or shorts. Wearing jeans or shorts for a non-recreation function would have been considered ghastly. Yes, a blazer with khakis would be consider casual. Thus, by the traditional rules, the instructions you were given would mean a suit. I very much doubt that's what was meant. They probably mean dockers and an oxford, which is "business casual" these days. BTW, always wear a belt with any pants other than shorts or jeans, no belt with khakis makes you look like a slob.

Ed

BTW, always wear a belt with any pants other than shorts or jeans, no belt with khakis makes you look like a slob.

Ed

He speaks the tuth, and for God's sake please don't mix the colors of your belt and shoes ie black belt and brown shoes. Thats a huge pet peeve of mine.

He speaks the tuth, and for God's sake please don't mix the colors of your belt and shoes ie black belt and brown shoes. Thats a huge pet peeve of mine.

hahahha wow , i didn't think people even notice stuff like that

hahahha wow , i didn't think people even notice stuff like that

People notice a lot of things, they just don't say anything. Since many people here go on interviews, it's important to remember to look good. You don't need to necessarily "Toe-the-Line" and should feel free to express your individuality. But looking like a slob isn't the kind of individuality you want others to see. At my Med School Alma Matter, the admissions/applicant area was write next to the student lounge. I remember hearing all sorts of admin comments about this stuff. So here are some tips:

Always wear a belt with nice pants
Don't wear white socks with a suit
Wear cloths that fit you
Make sure you tie matches you suit
Don't wear brown shoes with a black suit (unless you want to look like a Rottweiler).
Groom your hair
If you are going to wear a thin oxford shirt, wear an undershirt (WITHOUT writing on it).

Ed

Haha because everyone can pull off the Justin Timberlake or Kanye look.

If you don't know what to wear, I'd always err on the more formal side. It wouldn't hurt to look overdressed.

One of my friends went to an interview with khaki pants, white collared shirt (short sleeve), and no tie...the interviewer blatantly said "Where do you think you're going? A rap concert?" :laugh: He still got accepted there though.

I think you can get away with no tie, but a blazer would be a nice addition. And don't forget the dress socks...when you sit down those white, cotton ones won't look so hidden anymore.