dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
Can someone tell me what is the usual vein blood is extracted from in the arm?Cephalic? :confused:
ALso, what volume of blood is adequate for a CBC?

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Galveston
Status
Not sure what vein, but i'm pretty sure you only need like 1 or 2 mL for a CBC. It depends on which lab runs it and what equipment they are using...it could take more or less.

mules05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
dinesh said:
Can someone tell me what is the usual vein blood is extracted from in the arm?Cephalic? :confused:

What I was told (keep in mind this was like a 10-minute crash course) was to use whatever sticks out the most, starting from the most distal and working your way up if you blow a vein. I think on me they usually go for the median antecubital and then the cephalic.

About the Ads

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It really depends on the person... and not everybody read Netters before coming in. The purple Vacutainer tube needs 4 ml of blood.

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
dinesh said:
Can do median antecubital vein too.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
i'm confused, I always learned you start with the jugular or IVC and then if you can't get one of those you're SOL ;) j/k, I've also heard, start distal and move proximal till you find a suitable vein. or if just taking a little bit of blood (not starting a line) go for median antecubital. i think each person will probably have their own preferences as to which they find easiest to get.

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
Status
I did phlebotomy for a while before medical school and the most common vein used is the median cubital but the basilic and cephalic are common as well. CBC's can be run off of a finger stick and require .250 - .500 cc in a microtainer from a finger stick. In a normal vacutainer tube, the minimum requirement for a CBC is 1 cc. These values assure the proper blood to EDTA ratio which is the anticoagulant in the puple vacutainers and microtainers.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Have you looked at taking it from the Corpora cavernosa? I dont think it would be fun but it would likely give a decent bit of blood. If it doesnt work give someone a nice magazine and that will get the blood flowing there.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
Isn't femoral in your foot or penis or something?

About the Ads

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
There is also the subclavian, of course you could just take it from the aorta but thats not a vein..

I seriously hope he was kidding.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
dinesh said:
Isn't femoral in your foot or penis or something?
This is probably the most intelligent post I've ever seen you write.

:laugh:

AF_PedsBoy

Stuffed Animal Overlord
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Japan
Status
Attending Physician
And to weigh in on pediatrics there's always the heel, but it needs to be free flowng blood, so the trick is you gently hold the heel on the sides and once you get the blood flowing you scoop it off with those teeny vacutubes with the funnel lips - otherwise you just get a hemolyzed sample with some seriously messed up chemistries :laugh: (the common technique being to force the blood into the heel and then squeezing like hell to get the blood into the tube)

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Canada
Status
Dentist
No I'm not a medical student, I"m first year dental and we haven't even done any gross anatomy etc as yet.

So go ahead..rag on me :)

Pharos

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Northeast NY
Status
nicko18 said:
Are you a med student?

Perhaps you missed this board?
That was unimpressive and uncalled for?

VFTW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Median cubital or cephalic. You should avoid the basilic unless it's the only good one you've got, mainly because inexperienced phlebs may go too deep and can hit the brachial artery.

logos

100% Organic
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Out there.
Status
Attending Physician
The idea is that the bicepital aponeurosis (where the bicept attaches to your arm, distal to your elbow) will protect the brachial a. and the median n. if the needle goes too deep in an attempt to access the median cubital v. (runs left to right across the crease on the other side of your arm from the elbow).

About the Ads

VFTW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
logos said:
The idea is that the bicepital aponeurosis (where the bicept attaches to your arm, distal to your elbow) will protect the brachial a. and the median n. if the needle goes too deep in an attempt to access the median cubital v. (runs left to right across the crease on the other side of your arm from the elbow).
Yes, but the basilic is much more medial than the median cubital, hence, a deep attempt at the basilic could easily get the brachial artery. This is why I said you shouldn't go for the basilic unless you are experienced or its the only good vein you have, and in that case, be aware that you shouldn't puncture too deeply.

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
USA
Status
I was always under the impression that it was taken from the brachial artery.

VFTW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
fpr85 said:
I was always under the impression that it was taken from the brachial artery.
Venipuncture means puncturing veins.

An art stick is different and even then, is not usually done in the brachial artery.

a_ditchdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Detroit, Mi
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The truth is, in practice, it is not all as scientific as some on this board are trying to make it out. You don't even have to name the vein. If you can tap it and thump it enough to make it pop up, think you can get blood out of it, and it doesn't pulsate, it is fair game. I have put needles it hands, arms, wrists, feet, legs, fingers, jugulars, scalp, bone, and even a breast vein once (dire circumstance). Starting distal is better than proximal. Big better than small.

cytoskelement

Dr. D.R.E.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
Oooo-klahoma
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a_ditchdoc said:
The truth is, in practice, it is not all as scientific as some on this board are trying to make it out. You don't even have to name the vein. If you can tap it and thump it enough to make it pop up, think you can get blood out of it, and it doesn't pulsate, it is fair game. I have put needles it hands, arms, wrists, feet, legs, fingers, jugulars, scalp, bone, and even a breast vein once (dire circumstance). Starting distal is better than proximal. Big better than small.
So true. Although, sometimes a bigger vein will roll much easier than one which is smaller and taunter.

cytoskelement

Dr. D.R.E.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
Oooo-klahoma
Status
Resident [Any Field]
EctopicFetus said:
Have you looked at taking it from the Corpora cavernosa? I dont think it would be fun but it would likely give a decent bit of blood. If it doesnt work give someone a nice magazine and that will get the blood flowing there.
Funny. Except one would want a magazine that turns the patient off. Arousal traps blood, hence the risk of hypoxia and tissue damage secondary to priapism.

EDIT: Nevermind. Corpus cavernosum = vascular before veins... Right. I read that and then thought veins, which are collapsed. But... OUCH, did you have to go there?

velo

bottom of the food chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Alexander Pink said:
We learned usually median cubital.
usually is, but the real answer is "wherever you can get access"

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
delicatefade said:
Are we really that sensitive? I thought it was funny. :laugh:
No, it was actually against the Terms of Service.

delicatefade

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I'm sure they appreciate your help then. Carry on.

VFTW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
a_ditchdoc said:
You shouldn't encourage people to use leg/foot veins. It's irresponsible unless there are orders to do so, no other viable veins, or in an emergency. Leg veins are more susceptible to thrombi.

cheech10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2001
Visit site
Status
Most people aren't gonna have people take off their shoes to get sticks done, but even if they did, a small superficial thrombus is of very little consequence. If you can't get a vein anywhere else, go where you see one (especially in peds).

About the Ads