What warrants an update letter & when to send

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala1010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked a million times but here goes:

I just recently got a second job working at a family health clinic (I currently work at the ER at a local hospital). I'm also starting a new clinical volunteering experience in mid-October. Would these two things warrant an update letter ?

Also seeing as how I was only complete at most schools on 8/20, I'm thinking that strategically an update letter should be sent end of October or beginning of November (as opposed to right now)?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just recently got a second job working at a family health clinic (I currently work at the ER at a local hospital). I'm also starting a new clinical volunteering experience in mid-October. Would these two things warrant an update letter ?

Also seeing as how I was only complete at most schools on 8/20, I'm thinking that strategically an update letter should be sent end of October or beginning of November (as opposed to right now)?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
A semester of good grades
A publication
Giving a talk at a national or international conference

Starting a new endeavor will not make the Admissions Dean move you onto the II list.

Make sure the schools you wish to update actually welcome updates. Some do not, and expressly state on their websites (which most applicants seem to ignore).

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure the schools you wish to update actually welcome updates. Some do not, and expressly state on their websites (which most applicants seem to ignore).

This is quite important and often overlooked. Also, this should go without saying, but PLEASE change the name of the schools when sending the same update to multiple schools. School X doesn’t want to be addressed as School Y.

Other than that, Goro’s list is what I’d recommend in an update unless you’re WL’d at Georgetown and other schools that appreciate updates after a WL.

Co-authorship on an accepted manuscript is worth a letter of update

A semester of good grades
A publication
Giving a talk at a national or international conference

Starting a new endeavor will not make the Admissions Dean move you onto the II list.

Would updating about a semester of good grades still be alright if one has a 4.0?

Wait until the end of the term when you have more experience with your new positions.