What was/is your research experience like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alhs525

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some things I'm curious about:

What do you research?
Do you like the PI?
Do you work with a grad student/post-doc, and do you get along well with them?
Do you have your own project?
How many hours do you put in?
Do you enjoy it?
What's the worst part?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really like doing research honestly but you need it on your app to have a decent shot at top schools. My lab members are friendly albeit kind of nerdy and awkward.

My lab experiences have varied greatly. I find that each lab is very different. Some are very work oriented while others are very outgoing and talk all the time. One thing I have seen a lot though is that there is so much lab gossip. In one of my labs (actually 2 of them), the people used to gossip about the PI all the time and in some of my other ones, they used to gossip about the other lab members. In terms of PIs, they really vary greatly. Some PIs (normally these PIs are heavy hitters with large labs) are always busy writing grants and never come to talk to anyone in the lab (I've been in my fair share of those and I don't like them at all-- as an undergrad, you don't really get to do anything in those labs). Other PIs (normally smaller labs and in most cases new PIs who are trying to get tenureship) are very hands-on and try to communicate with everyone in the lab (that includes undergrads). These PIs will give a lot more independence to undergrads and normally are great mentors for college students. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this, but this is what I've seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my experience in my undergrad lab:

1. I did molecular biology research in a diabetes lab for 3 years.

2. My PI just got her faculty position when I joined the lab. The lab was pretty small and it had its pluses and minuses. I got a lot of individual attention from the PI. She gave me career advice and I got a great letter of recommendation out of it.

3. When I started, I worked under a lab tech and I wasn't very useful for the first year. Then I moved to working with a first year grad student. She was brand new and still figuring stuff out so I was pretty independent. My final year I got my own projects.

4. I had several of my own smaller projects.

5. I started out doing 10 hours a week and I did more like 20-25 hours per week my final year. I worked full time during summer/breaks.

6. I would put this much time into it if I didn't enjoy it. :)

7. Stuff not working and having no idea why. I now have this posted to my lab bench:

tumblr_mfgcsgSgLS1rmevs9o1_500.png

Also, timing experiments with going to class was tricky.

What do you research?
Do you like the PI?
Do you enjoy it?
What's the worst part?

- Changes in neurotrophic factor content in aging skeletal muscles
- Yes; incredibly helpful, patient and down-to-earth
- There were a few PhD students in the lab who were all extremely nice and willing to help undergrad students, though everyone worked independently
- Yes
- Way too many to count; undermined total hours on my primary apps. Accumulated many hours outside of lab to analyze data and work on abstracts, manuscript, conference posters, and thesis
- Yes!! Loved it and learned a lot more than I ever anticipated. It's all about what you make of it - Go in w/ an open-mind and put in the effort and time, and you'll get a lot out of it
- Honestly, nothing. Still have a conference coming up, but very sad to be done with the project after that

What do you research? developmental biology
Do you like the PI? lovvvvvvvvve great guy.
Do you work with a grad student/post-doc, and do you get along well with them? there is a post-doc in my lab and she is great really friendly and we get along swell. my last lab I could not say the same
Do you have your own project? yes, just started this semester
How many hours do you put in? at the minimum 10
Do you enjoy it? I do, it can be overwhemling working on your own project and troubleshooting but it is a great challenge and I recommend any science major to at least dabble in research a little bit
What's the worst part? troubleshooting and not being able to figure out why your experiment is not working and how some protocols require a large amount of time spent waiting...

What do you research?
Fluorophores and dye synthesis

Do you like the PI?
I've worked in other labs before and my current PI is by far the best.

Yes and they're both great.

Three or four projects of my own, two collaborations.

50-60 a week.

Do you enjoy it?
I love it.

What's the worst part?
It's a new lab, so I've been there as long as anyone else. It makes it hard to learn techniques/protocols because we're making them as we go.

Here is my experience in my undergrad lab:

1. I did molecular biology research in a diabetes lab for 3 years.

2. My PI just got her faculty position when I joined the lab. The lab was pretty small and it had its pluses and minuses. I got a lot of individual attention from the PI. She gave me career advice and I got a great letter of recommendation out of it.

3. When I started, I worked under a lab tech and I wasn't very useful for the first year. Then I moved to working with a first year grad student. She was brand new and still figuring stuff out so I was pretty independent. My final year I got my own projects.

4. I had several of my own smaller projects.

5. I started out doing 10 hours a week and I did more like 20-25 hours per week my final year. I worked full time during summer/breaks.

6. I would put this much time into it if I didn't enjoy it. :)

7. Stuff not working and having no idea why. I now have this posted to my lab bench:

tumblr_mfgcsgSgLS1rmevs9o1_500.png

Also, timing experiments with going to class was tricky.

I'm stealing this for my desk.

What do you research?
Tissue engineering and regeneration
Do you like the PI?
haha. yeah, why not?
Yes, I have a post-doc; he works very well.
Sure
Geez! 50 hours/week? give or take
Do you enjoy it?
Every minute
What's the worst part?
People touching bioreactors without permission
:p

What do you research?

Non-healthcare related microbiology.

Do you like the PI?

Great mentor and made me what I am today in terms of research. Gave me complete independence to screw up and scrape my knees but always had a presence so that I know that I can always seek her for help. It made my first two years somewhat unproductive and my last two years highly productive. The mentoring style was perfect for me because I hate being managed and would rather direct myself.

I'm on my project alone.

Yup!

20hrs/week during the semester, 40hrs/week during summer and winter break.

Do you enjoy it?

Overall, I loved it and it was probably the most fulfilling part of undergrad. It opened my eyes to a great career, allowed me to make a contribution to the scientific community, and I met one of my best friends in that lab.

What's the worst part?

Running your head against a brick wall trying to find your way out of an endless cycle of problematic experiments and results that make absolutely no sense. That or the mundane lab work.

A little something different, medical social sciences..

What do you research? My field is medical anthropology. I research birth defects (primarily congenital heart disease) in Iraq. Within that I look at international medical travel (traveling of both healthcare professionals and patients across borders for treatment), violence & health(care), critiques of medical development/medical humanitarianism, etc.

Do you like the PI? My PI was really more like a research advisor. She was certainly very helpful in a lot of ways, but her geographic focus is Brazil and her topical focus is Hansen's disease/leprosy. So she mostly just read over and signed off on what I wrote. That said, she was/is absolutely fantastic. Had a huge influence on me in general.

Do you work with a grad student/post-doc No

Do you have your own project? Yes, the whole investigation is/was "my" project. I wrote the IRB, sought out and secured the funding, designed the research, gained local approval in Iraq, gathered and analyzed the data, etc.

How many hours do you put in? I lived in Iraq for 2 summers (about 3 months each) for my fieldwork. So ~6 months of fieldwork, plus probably a hundred hours in the library over the course of the two years doing research, writing, and some time for presentations/conferences.

Do you enjoy it? Loved it so much that I moved to Turkey following undergrad for intensive Turkish and Arabic language training. I hope to work and research in this part of the world at least part time for much of my career as a physician. Research was incredibly exciting, getting to interview/spend time with families as they are going through the difficult process of trying to find treatment in or outside of Iraq was a privilege, and getting that first sole-author pub felt pretty good too ;)

What's the worst part? All the bureaucratic aspects--dealing with IRB, funding sources, visas/approvals, etc.

My advice in general is to find research you love and are excited about doing, not something that you just think medical schools want to see. I started in a neuroscience lab earlier in undergrad and was extremely bored/disinterested, I'm really glad I was introduced to medical social sciences and able to get out in "the field" for my research.

1) What do you research?
2) Do you like the PI?
3) Do you work with a grad student/post-doc, and do you get along well with them?
4) Do you have your own project?
5) How many hours do you put in?
6) Do you enjoy it?
7) What's the worst part?

Let me preface this by saying I've been employed by three different research labs since the summer before my freshman year. This is because I'm involved with a summer program that places students, high school and undergrads, in research labs and we then work full time for approximately three months full time. Two of my labs fall under that spectrum while my third lab, my current lab, is more credit-based and academic year-round. I'll be referring to them as A, B, and C.

Lab A:
1) Lab A was the summer before my freshman year and I worked in a biomedical/optical engineering lab. My particular research project focused on the effects of NSAIDs such as DFMO and Sulindac on the mucosal linings of mice with colon cancer.
2) I almost never saw my PI because she was a VIP in the department. When I did see her, though, she was really kind and welcoming. She helped me understand optics despite me having little to no physics/math background.
3) I mostly worked with the Lab Manager. There was also another undergraduate in another program that I helped. I did work with some graduate students but they were in the beginning stages of their program so not much was going on with them. I got along with everyone.
4) They didn't give me my own design-to-finish project, but they did give me a subset of the overall research to work on. It was only a summer and I was only a freshman so I didn't expect much.
5) 40 hours a week for about 3 months.
6) I was really sad to go. I really loved the atmosphere as well as the lab itself. The material, albeit hard, was very interesting and I actually felt as if I advanced science.
7) Some of the scut work I guess? As a freshman I wasn't really qualified to do some things, such as mouse dissections.

Lab B:
1) Lab B was this past summer. I worked with formulation of pharmaceutical microbubble phase-change contrast agents.
2) Eh. I liked him because he taught me a lot and he was present all of the time if I had any questions, but I felt as if he was way too...nosy. He attempted to establish an informal relationship with me at first (chatting about family, health problems, etc) which made me really uncomfortable. There was also a miscommunication mid-summer because of another lab worker and it kind of soured the atmosphere.
3) I had an entire 400sqft chemistry lab to myself (after the other lab workers left). He had his own office that he always holed himself in. I mostly worked alone.
4) My PI was too self-focused to even consider giving me or the other lab worker our own project (one of the reasons she left.) I was mostly his assistant. It was kind of crappy.
5) 40 hours a week for three months.
6) I enjoyed being independent and responsible for the lab, but I did not enjoy working under the PI because of his personality and belief that student workers shouldn't have their own project because it'll go to waste.
7) The lack of things to do, the PI's thought that summer students can't have their own project because nothing will be completed, the lack of belief that the PI had that possibly a student could actually get a project done, etc. I don't think I'd return.

Lab C (yay!):
1) My current lab. I've been here for about a year and a half and I find it relaxing. It's psychology behavioral research focusing on issues involving visual perception.
2) I love my PI, even though I almost never see her. When I do see her, she's so warm and caring and very intelligent. She is tough but kind and her expectations are laid out and clear.
3) I work with a specific graduate student (who is now in her 5th year, graduating in May hopefully) and I help her run her subjects for her experiments. I also help with her data entry. We get along really well.
4) I do not have my own project for several reasons. Mostly, I don't want my own project. I was going to do my honors thesis in this lab but I just recently changed my mind and withdrew from the program. I'm still in the lab but I am just acting as a research assistant, not a researcher. Also, my interests have considerably changed since a year and a half ago and it would be like swimming through molasses if I had to do a psychology-based project.
5) About 10 hours a week during the semester.
6) I love it. I come here whenever I just need to study. I'm very efficient at the tasks they give me so it allows me a lot of free time that I can use to chat with the grad students or study.
7) I would say the worst part is the PI never being here. I feel as if she were more involved maybe I wouldn't have fallen out of love with visual perception and maybe I'd have my own project. After this year, I will probably retire from research labs and focus more on clinical work.

TL;DR- I've been in three labs, they each have their own pros and cons, but a change in interests have made me look elsewhere.
Sorry it's so long!

Last edited:
What do you research?
Analytical Chemistry - Separations (we mainly work with Capillary Electrophoresis, but also use HPLC)
Do you like the PI?
He's not great, but not bad. It's a small lab (3 grad students + myself) but we meet with him for maybe 30min a week. He understands the projects on a theoretical level, but isn't really helpful beyond a textbook understanding.
I have a grad student mentor; but it's a small group so we all know each others projects and help each other out.
For my first 3 months I had to do "practice labs" to get familiar with the equipment, but then I was allowed to create my own project. And from here on out everything from research to method development to analysis is enirely up to me.
15hrs/wk during semesters and 40hrs/wk during breaks.
This is merely face-time in the lab. Our instruments use auto-samplers, so I use Log-Me-In sometimes to do work from home. (Just means I can access lab computer from home)
Do you enjoy it?
Absofruitly! We function more as a "hang-out" lab. Everyone's really relaxed and as long as you get the work done no one is gonna hound you.
What's the worst part?
Finding something that no one else has done before.
And as other people said: when your junk doesn't work and you can't figure out why.

What do you research?
Do you like the PI?
Do you enjoy it?
What's the worst part?

I'm currently "in" two labs, one academic at my college and one industry.

Academic:
What do you research?
Transgenerational immunity in insects, specifically manduca sexta.

Do you like the PI?
I love my PI. She's really hands-on and she has been more than fair with me in everything that I've done. She definitely expects a lot, but she is more than willing to help as long as you're putting the time in.

I work alongside a grad student, but she does her own project and I have my own. We would share basic lab duties, she's nice and has taught me a lot, but she's really busy.

Yes, my project is what I mentioned above, I'm working in conjunction with another undergrad.

Right now, none because I'm working full time in the industry lab, but before probably 20-30 hours a week.

Do you enjoy it?
I do, but I'm not really into ecology and entomology. I just really love the small lab atmosphere and my PI.

What's the worst part?
Working with the insects. I'm terrified of caterpillars and I don't like moths either - both present a problem obviously.

Industry:
What do you research?
Phagocytosis of apoptotic neutrophils in people with COPD, as well as beginning research on the glucocorticoid receptor.

Do you like the PI?
I adore my supervisor, he's not really my "PI" as we're part of a large research unit, but he's wonderful. He has taught me so much and is so patient in letting me learn and make mistakes on my own. I couldn't ask for a better mentor than him.

Doesn't really apply.

Yes, two projects on what I mentioned above.

I work a 40 hour work week, but usually ends up being 45ish.

Do you enjoy it?
I love what I'm doing now, I really enjoy drug discovery and the pharmaceutical environment, I feel like the work that is being done here is really important.

What's the worst part?
There isn't a bad part! The worst part is that I'll have to leave in three months, and I probably won't get to continue on my projects :(