What was the hardest topic to learn D1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisting2091

Reaction score
What was the hardest thing to learn D1 year?

- hardest subject to learn (anatomy, dental anatomy, restorative, neuro .... etc)?
- or just hardest mental skill/ mindset to learn (course load management, changing your mindset, transitioning from undergrad to dental school, learning how to study ..... etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the hardest thing to learn D1 year?

- hardest subject to learn (anatomy, dental anatomy, restorative, neuro .... etc)?
- or just hardest mental skill/ mindset to learn (course load management, changing your mindset, transitioning from undergrad to dental school, learning how to study ..... etc)?
For myself it definitely was the transitioning from under grad to DS. I had fun in undergrad. Who didn't? The thought or reality of being a real dentist didn't seem real when I was in undergrad. Fastforward to DS. Damn. Reality sets in from the very start. You're in DENTAL SCHOOL learning to be a DOCTOR.

I had to re-program my thinking to get serious. Develop new study habits. Get down to business. Life was real now .... not some futuristic idea of what you may do for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Dental biochem
Damn..how was dental biochem different than undergrad biochem? Professor's teaching style? Speed/Details? Volume of information? I actually liked biochem in undergrad

You need to adapt to each professor. You’re going to have like 100 syllabi so make yourself a checklist of assignments/exams/practicals ordered by the next exam etc. After each exam/practical cross it off your list. It’s going to feel good when you see the majority of your list crossed off your list towards the end of the year.

It’s a series of fires that you need to put out one at a time. You don’t get weeks to study for an exam because you will have a bunch of other exams and practicals you have to prepare for.

Reactions: 1 users
Statistics!
Funny thing, I had had stats 3 times coming into dental school but each was taught by math/science people. The stat instructor in dental school was a pharmacist of all things. It was like he was speaking a different language. I had to take a remedial class to make it up.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s something else to remember: you MAY have to remediate a class. Not the end of the world. As long as you pass everything you will still graduate and still be a dentist. It doesn’t make you any worse of a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
Unfortunately there probably isn’t enough time to address all subjects fairly. The reason is that you are taking all the basic science courses plus the dental courses. The dental courses require time whether it’s carving a tooth for dental anatomy waxing a crown etc and these are all extremely time consuming endeavors. I attended NYU a number of years ago when they had shortened the program to three years and shortened semesters so this only exacerbated the problems. The Med School was done by three and while we at the Dental School took courses separately we weren’t finished till 5:30. So more work less time. The plus is when you finish your first two years of Dental School you time is less constrained. Bottom line you work hard for two years and then you have a more realistic educational experience.
Hold Fast.

Reactions: 1 user
So far probably pathology and knowing all the various signs and prescriptions you give for viral, bacterial, fungal, etc. infections. That and also having to learn how to section and time manage your studying, because you have A LOT of different courses in different subjects all thrown at you at the same time.

Time management and learning how to study