What was your current/past career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:

I'm an advanced ambulance driver!
I'm a crash cart driver!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Registered NICU Nurse

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Software Engineer for a healthcare software company.

Reactions: 1 user
Software developer at a large tech company.
Social science researcher, management consultant, software salesperson, software engineer.
Me too. Good to see other devs in here. There was an AMA thread a while back with someone that went from software to med school that helped me make the decision to go back. I thought I was alone since software is such a good place to be right now. Good luck

Last edited:
Me too. Good to see other devs in here. There was an AMA thread a while back with someone that went from software to med school that helped me make the decision to go back. I thought I was alone since software is such a good place to be right now. Good luck
Hello! If you can find the AMA, I'd love to read it.

What sport? That's cool.

Flight Paramedic for the Army and some various contracting work after that. They were my motivation to keep pursuing this! It's awesome to see how varied the careers are!

Hello! If you can find the AMA, I'd love to read it.
I can't find it, no clue where it went. The guys story was that he has a CS degree, worked a few years in dev(or possibly IT) then decided to go to medical school. He was in the middle of a radiology residency when he posted it. If I find it, I'll PM it to you

Acoustical Engineer in NYC! -- consulted on lots of high end building development with architects and other engineering specialties. Worked on a few performance spaces. Got tired of trying to save money for billionaires in a city with a homelessness crises

Yoga Teacher -- started working part time while I was an engineer, continued to teach through most of my post-bac work until the studying got too much

Nervous that adcomms will just think I'm all over the place....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

We all on a same path to get into medical school or any medical career professions. As a nontrad, we all went different routes in getting there. So to my curiosity, I was wondering what was everyone's past or current career before attending medical school?

military (Behavioral Health Technician) and Finances person

Nuclear materials courier.........I glow green

Reactions: 1 users
Quality Control Lab Manager - Plastics

STEM academic advisor at a community college.

Yes, I help plenty of pre-meds lol. Never do I tell them I’m working towards becoming a physician though.

Nonprofit Fund Development - mostly grant management, but also some event planning. I just left a nonprofit that focuses on reentry employment.

I think that might be the hardest thing - my career so far has focused on political/social/economic justice efforts. (Of course, nonprofits have their own issues.) Im still very involved in political organizing on the side though and I'll try to be sure thats always a part of my life but things will change. Planned on going to law and policy before. I think everyone who knows me is a little thrown off by the desire to become a doctor.

Surgical technologist.

I find that fascinating! I wanted to get certified in that and get a job while doing my "reinvention for med school"
Is that fun? I love watching surgeries among other things that draw me towards medicine.

International fashion model.

main-qimg-7e4c9b09d44c4b855541917e0054e9d3-c

Psychology Professor!

CNA for a few years, then I started working with my degree mostly grunt office work that confirmed I am meant to be in healthcare. Currently, Account Executive FT and Business Development Analyst PT/Remote.