Jay2910

7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2011
Status
hey everyone,
I got accepted into both schools and am trying to decide on which one to get into.

These are the pros/cons that I have come up for each school:

Lecom-B:
-great weather
-Everything is in 1 building
-City like area
-Cheap tuition

Cons:
-PBL( and the fact that your group changes? every semester? I dunno can someone confirm?)
-$200-300 flight home

WVSOM:
Pros:
-Great faculty

Cons:
-I hate snow( Heating cost is expensive?)
- Tuition cost( $80K)

I think both of the schools are comparable in terms of class size.
I think what I would like is some unbiased opinions of each school . . .. cause during interview day when I went to each school . . . .everyone was just so "happy go lucky" . . .. its hard to tell what you might not like in a school without even getting in.

When I went to LECOM-Bradenton for my interview day, I asked the current student ambassadors what the cons were with PBL and she was all like "oh there are people here that don't like PBL/have been in bad groups".
As a LECOM-BRadenton Student . . .. what does that mean?
1) Does that mean that you, the med student would have had to do all of the work cause there were rifts in your work?
2) Does it mean that the faculty aren't too involved in the learning process? That it is solely up to the group and to you? Is the faculty member that presides over your group, "your mentor for the semester"?
3) Exactly how much of your grade is determined by your group?( I know there is a participation grade . .. but is it the whole thing?)
4) Suppose if you are in a bad group, can you interact with people of other groups? Does your time even allow something like that?
5) Can you request a group change at any time?

And in WVSOM:
What was the weather like for you guys these past 2 years? More of ice rain? or snow? How have you dealt with it? Could I have my "potential landlord" cover the electricity and snow removal for me?

Another thing I noticed with WVSOM students . . . .most of you guys tend to stay on campus and study on campus . .. but the study areas that I saw there were more for groups. Are there private areas? Like in LECOM?

Is there a particular reason why you wouldn't study at home? Is your schedule as a first year very tight in such a way that you can't go home and study?

And in the tuition that you pay . . .. does WVSOM include resources that can be used directly for preparing for the COMLEX?

I'm sorry I'm being very picky . . . .but I don't want to have any regrets.

Last edited:

Waggles

7+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
All I can say is you better like reading textbooks and PBL if you decide on LECOM.

Buckeye1992

7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2011
Ohio
Status
Medical Student
Only a first year at Bradenton but will give my take on PBL. The facilitator grade accounts for 20% of your grade. The biggest thing about PBL is that you (and your group) are able to direct your learning. You decide as a group what chapters you want to be tested over based on the cases (blocks) that you go through in your case. Bradenton has shown with their test scores that PBL works. The mean for the class of 2016 for the Comlex 1 was a 572 which I believe is one of the highest rates of any DO school and possibly the highest (class of 2014 had 564 Avg which was the highest of any COM that year).

Reactions: cylondoctor
Feb 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
hey everyone,
I got accepted into both schools and am trying to decide on which one to get into.

These are the pros/cons that I have come up for each school:

Lecom-B:
-great weather
-Everything is in 1 building
-City like area
-Cheap tuition

Cons:
-PBL( and the fact that your group changes? every semester? I dunno can someone confirm?)
-$200-300 flight home

WVSOM:
Pros:
-Great faculty

Cons:
-I hate snow( Heating cost is expensive?)
- Tuition cost( $80K)

I think both of the schools are comparable in terms of class size.
I think what I would like is some unbiased opinions of each school . . .. cause during interview day when I went to each school . . . .everyone was just so "happy go lucky" . . .. its hard to tell what you might not like in a school without even getting in.

When I went to LECOM-Bradenton for my interview day, I asked the current student ambassadors what the cons were with PBL and she was all like "oh there are people here that don't like PBL/have been in bad groups".
As a LECOM-BRadenton Student . . .. what does that mean?
1) Does that mean that you, the med student would have had to do all of the work cause there were rifts in your work?
2) Does it mean that the faculty aren't too involved in the learning process? That it is solely up to the group and to you? Is the faculty member that presides over your group, "your mentor for the semester"?
3) Exactly how much of your grade is determined by your group?( I know there is a participation grade . .. but is it the whole thing?)
4) Suppose if you are in a bad group, can you interact with people of other groups? Does your time even allow something like that?
5) Can you request a group change at any time?

And in WVSOM:
What was the weather like for you guys these past 2 years? More of ice rain? or snow? How have you dealt with it? Could I have my "potential landlord" cover the electricity and snow removal for me?

Another thing I noticed with WVSOM students . . . .most of you guys tend to stay on campus and study on campus . .. but the study areas that I saw there were more for groups. Are there private areas? Like in LECOM?

Is there a particular reason why you wouldn't study at home? Is your schedule as a first year very tight in such a way that you can't go home and study?

And in the tuition that you pay . . .. does WVSOM include resources that can be used directly for preparing for the COMLEX?

I'm sorry I'm being very picky . . . .but I don't want to have any regrets.
Hey, did you ever make a decision? I'm in the same boat and am still not sure what to do

Jul 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hey, did you ever make a decision? I'm in the same boat and am still not sure what to do
Both are good schools. If you think PBL is possibly for you, choose LECOM. They've had some impressive board scores and match lists over the last couple of years. WVSOM, if I remember correctly from when I applied there 6 months ago, really pushes primary care and rural medicine. I don't know for certain if that actually affects people with matching into their desired location/specialty, but it is something to consider.

Reactions: hallowmann

Brownman55

5+ Year Member
May 7, 2013
Status
Medical Student
There's a pretty huge tuition difference between the schools. If you're taking out loans to cover your attendance and cost of living, taking out 80k a year would be a definite no for me.

preDoGuy24

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I really have a soft spot for schools that "push" primary care and rural medicine and have the balls to charge 80k/year in total cost of attendance. We should all thank WVSOM (and all the other 80k schools that push the same drivel) for doing their part to fix the primary care shortage in this country.

End rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

preDoGuy24

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I really have a soft spot for schools that "push" primary care and rural medicine and have the balls to charge 80k/year in total cost of attendance. We should all thank WVSOM (and all the other 80k schools that push the same drivel) for doing their part to fix the primary care shortage in this country.

As a soon to be graduating fourth year with large loans from a "cheap" med school do not go anywhere that expensive. You are no more likely to match in anything from WVSOM than LECOM. Having 120k + extra nondischargeable student loan debt will have a dramatic effect on the rest of your life. That much money on the juice @ 6-10% for years is not a joke., that's a burden that you do not have to take on if it's as avoidable as going to a different school.

End rant.

Sent from my iPad

I quoted and edited my own damn post. Damn this app!

DocWinter

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd take the 250K difference, which is about 48K tuition per year, times 4 years, including compounding interest, and run towards the beaches.
Like said above, they charge 80K OOS tuition and have the gumption to make primary/rural care their mission. I don't see the contest here.

Besides, LECOM gets you board ready. Who cares about grades when you can be above nat' level in COMLEX? Serious dealbreaker.

Reactions: schlitter22

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I never understand these threads because almost nobody has real experience with multiple schools, outside of interviewing there (which definitely gives you insight, but doesn't tell you what it's really like to be there).

Reactions: hallowmann

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Just a side note. WVSOM's tuition is not 80K, it's 50K (the 80K is the total cost of attendance). Kind of a moot point in this thread, but there are schools approaching this amount of tuition anyway.

Mountaineer12

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2011
New Jersey
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't go to WVSOM, but I interviewed there and know a few people that go there. They all seem really happy with their decision as far as I can tell. West Virginia winters can be tough, but it's not like it's Buffalo or Michigan or anything. There's usually 2-3 big snows per season with multiple little snows. Classes are cancelled at my school if roads are too bad and I'm sure they are at WVSOM, too. Landlords mostly likely won't pay for heat unless they pay for all electric, but it's not that much more expensive. They will likely cover snow removal though. This school is expensive, but I wouldn't let the weather be the reason you stay out of WV!