What was your experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your experience when you volunteerd at the ER at the hospital, I'm gonna be volunteering their this weekend and I wanna know what it was like, thanks guys... :love:

Members don't see this ad.

dapmp91 said:
What was your experience when you volunteerd at the ER at the hospital, I'm gonna be volunteering their this weekend and I wanna know what it was like, thanks guys... :love:

Good experience. Where I was at, the more proactive I was the more contact I got with patients and physicians.

dapmp91 said:

Mine experience was very borning until I made friends with the nurses+Dr.'s. Do that and you'll enjoy it much more plus you'll get a good Dr. LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a good experience. i was in the pediatric er, but i spent time with patients while waiting, and basically provided distractions while the kids were waiting for or undergoing treatment. i also gave directions -- people get hungry and need to know where the vending machines are. but not all patients can have food/liquid in the er; they have to ask the doc/nurse first.

Awsome experience. I was among the first to be started in an ER reseach programs where we find patients, talk to them and consent them for research. I got to know the Dr.'s and nurses and techs. I have since had a promotion and now help regulate it.

I remember volunteering in the ER, and it was probably one of the worst hospital/volunteer experiences I've ever had. The staff were arrogant, patients thought u were their b*tches...and trust me, I'm not confusing these things for the hectic environment of the ER. I've seen how other ERs operate, and the one at a certain hospital was just a bad experience.

dapmp91 said:
Volunteering in the ER was one of the best experiences I've had. Just be pro-active and jump into help cuz the staff is too busy to hold your hand. Just know your boundries and what the staff is comfortable with them doing. I would ask first so you and the staff can feel confident.

I spend Friday nights as an ER host, meaning I am the first smiling face with a fistfull of paperwork that patients see...I don't do a whole lot of procedure/doctor observing but I do get a LOT of patient contact and I get to listen in to the triage nurse...

Overall its super fun and I'm learning a lot, even though I'm not watching medical procedures (although I do get to watch people throw up a lot). Sometimes just getting used to the stress level and many, many, many kinds of people you meet in the ER is great experience!

Also most people in this world are terrible spellers.

At first my ER experience was great, I was moving patients around and getting basic things for the staff as they worked with patients so I got some interaction. It was especially great when a doctor or nurse asked if I wanted to follow them around and observe. But then over time, I was asked to do less and less. I wasn't sure whether it was because the staff grew in numbers and I just wasn't needed anymore. But even transporting patients had fallen to the responsibility of the transportation volunteers. Eventually I got to the point where I was just standing around and not doing anything. I saw less and less of other volunteers until I was one of the only ones left (according to the staff).

I have been volunteering at triage for the last two yrs at a trauma 1 hospital E.D. in Dallas. Don't try and do too much at first and let everyone get use to seeing you around. Eventually as the nurses get to know you they will let you help take vitals and alert you when "good" traumas come in so you can observe. Just remember they have a job to do and don't get in their way.