What was your first year like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GHETTO THUGG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did your daily schedule look like? What it was like being in a class full of really really smart people? How stressful is it? Do a lot of people drop out?

I just got accepted into the 2010 class a few days ago and only now is it beginning to sink in that my life is gonna be reeaaal different when classes start in 4 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!

Though I wish I could tell you, I'm still a lowly pre-med. Maybe this topic is more fitting for the non-premed sub-forum?

What did your daily schedule look like? What it was like being in a class full of really really smart people? How stressful is it? Do a lot of people drop out?

I just got accepted into the 2010 class a few days ago and only now is it beginning to sink in that my life is gonna be reeaaal different when classes start in 4 weeks

I'm not in med school but I do know that it's REALLY rare for people to drop out of med school? So..

no worries :D

Members don't see this ad :)
and this will be moved here shortly to med students forum....but like lucius said, very few drop out of med school...i think the rate last year was 98% of matriculants graduate

First of all, congratulations! Secondly, just breathe and stop worrying about all of this so soon. You will fall into a routine once your classes begin, and your routine might be very different than those of your classmates or of someone from a different medical school.

But since you asked, I'll throw in my perspective.

What did your daily schedule look like?

Class from 8-noon daily. Afternoon classes two days a week, and free time the other three afternoons. I used that free time to work/volunteer, but it was fairly relaxed, overall.

What it was like being in a class full of really really smart people?
Just like high school and undergrad, there are different levels of intelligence in medical school. Some people are naturally very bright, but some will still look blankly at the lecturer and ask half a million mind-numbing questions. The difference is that, in medical school, the people who are struggling work their tails off to catch up, and often learn the material pretty well in the end.

I guess what I'm saying is that the population didn't require all that much adjusting to.

How stressful is it? Do a lot of people drop out?
That varies from person to person. There is a large amount of material - some handle that without a problem and others end up panicked or depressed at least part of the time. Regardless, it is very rare to see drop outs. The school doesn't want students to fail and struggling students are given many second chances. It isn't uncommon for a small number to have to repeat first year, but leaving medical school entirely is something I haven't seen.

oops, yeah this shouldve gone to the other forum, huh?

but thanks for the responses guys! im glad theres a few medical students trolling this forum

another question: i know it varies from person to person, but how often did you study in your 1st year?

Congratulations! I was following your thread in WAMC, glad to see you made it in!

My best academic advice is try to be the student you wish you were in college. Go to lecture, read ahead, and study throughout the unit. If you do that, and you are reasonably intelligent, you should do very well. If you don't, you'll probably still get by. If you feel yourself slipping, get help from one of those other smart kids. I studied like crazy for the first unit, aced my exams, then slacked off a bit. I still did fine.

You have to be a good student, but they accepted you because they think you can hack it. Make sure to have fun. When you look back on it, you'll be amazed at how much time you had to go out and do other stuff.