metalgearHMN

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2007
Groznyj Grad
Status
Pre-Medical
How well did you guys do in your first quarter of OChem? For those of you who were unhappy with your grade, did you manage to turn it around next quarter? If so, how?

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Study hard, and get review books if you have too.

chiz2kul

t.roll.ed for Banning
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Why are they suddenly so many threads here about organic chem??

About the Ads

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I got a B first semester and was able to adjust my study techniques and improve the grade second semester.

majahops

YOU are great.
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
B first semester because it was very spatially-oriented, with a huge emphasis on stereochemistry and offhand I'd say my spatial intelligence isn't the greatest. A second semester because it was much more "pathway" or temporally-oriented, with a huge emphasis on reaction mechanisms and patterns in reactivity between species.

If I could give any piece of advice about organic chemistry, it would be to try to always look for the constant underlying themes of acidity/basicity and nucleophilicity/electrophilicity. If you TRULY understand what these concepts mean and understand which side of these two sliding-scales the species you are dealing with fall on, then it becomes 95% logic and 5% learning random exceptions to logic.

wepio

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Orgo 1
4-cr Lecture and Lab = A

Orgo 2, which was hard and completely nonsensical (is "nonsensical a word"?).
3-cr lecture = A-
2-cr lab = B (but in my defense the highest grade was a B+)

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
I got an A's in Organic I & II. For whatever reason, OChem just clicked for me and made sense. I love OChem. It was one of my favorite classes. I actually taught it in an adjunct course while I was still in undergrad.

Last edited:

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a C in the first one and then got an A in the second one...

Keys for success that I learned a lil late:

-literally work a ton of problems!
-be able to draw all the mechanisms
-I had a friend and we would go to cubicles in the library and study independently but could ask each other questions if we had them and neither of us wanted to be the first one to quit studying!
- make a master list of all reactions- they build on eachother

literally I thought I was studying bond angles in Orgo 1- my prof was horrible no practice problems, office hours, etc... I got lucky and had an amazing older prof who would spend lots of time with me in office hours if needed.

aznb0y129

Oh hamburgers!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Flushing, NY
Status
Medical Student
Orgo I: B+ (underestimated the difficulty of the class, failed 1st exam, spent the rest of the semester playing catch-up)
Orgo II: A

chemnerd89

In it for the lulz
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I got A's. The key for me was a portable dry-erase board.

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
1st sem = A
2nd sem = A

Not gonna lie, I studied my ass off and outworked everyone in that class all year...

About the Ads

secants

about:blank
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
NYC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A's in both semesters but a B in lab. Orgo just clicked for me I had a lot of fun learning it that I am currently a TA for it now.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Somebody posed a good question earlier. Why are there so many OChem threads popping up lately?

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
3.3 the first quarter, 3.7 and 4.0 the following quarters. I had to work harder the second and third quarters of ochem, there was just so much memorization. Also, I wasted tons of paper doing mechanisms, so like someone posted above, a whiteboard would be useful. Saves money.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Ochem is like any other subject. If you dont do well then just study harder. I dont think that anyone who spends a significant amount of time studying will not be able to understand the subject. I think that the amount of time you study will be directly correlated to your grades

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ochem 1: A+
Ochem 2: A+
Orgo TA 2 semesters
MCAT BIO w/ 3 orgo passages: 10 (motherfuker)

umm my secret? read book ahead of class....did a buncha practice problems...then set the curve...chuuch

JackInTheBox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Ochem 1: A
Ochem 2: A-
Ochem 3: B
Ochem Lab: A-
BS section on MCAT with 3 ochem passages before I had taken ochem 3 or ochem lab: 11

Even though it's not nearly as hard as its reputation would make you think, I really hated ochem. Mostly because of the extremely high pre-med gunner to non-pre-med gunner ratio.

chemolupusMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Houston
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i got a C in orgo 1, so i decided to retake cuz i thougt i didnt learn anything, then i got a B+ :( (i know it suxs), then a B+ again for orgo 2, i just took advance organic chemistry and i got an A.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
I got all A's in ochem. The secret for me was a good prof. who knew what he was doing. I was really scared of Ochem and Biochem but I turned out really liking them both.

w8ting2exhale

what a journey...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I got As both semesters. Key: sit in the front row and pay attention. Thats all.

Optimus123

10+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
I know someone that literally FAILED the first quarter of ochem that now attends the University of Washington School of Medicine. SHE LITERALLY FAILED IT! I believe she did much better in later quarters and also retook the first one.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
I know someone that literally FAILED the first quarter of ochem that now attends the University of Washington School of Medicine. SHE LITERALLY FAILED IT! I believe she did much better in later quarters and also retook the first one.
We need to make this information public at the top of SDN pre-allo for everyone to see. I think it would put an end to the 4 million "oh noes I got a B- in Ochem, will adcoms frown upon me and reject me straight up???" threads.

Last edited:

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
LA
Status
I got an A++ during my first semester of ochem

I improved the next semester by doing a bunch of practice problems and trying to understand the mechanisms instead of just memorizing them

...yeah, you heard correctly; I improved my A++

baller

About the Ads