What was your hardest year of med school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nope80, Dec 13, 2008.

?

Hardest year of med school?

1. First Year

41 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Second Year

47 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Third Year

25 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Fourth Year

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nope80

nope80 Resident
    10+ Year Member

I've heard so many mixed things and wonder what the majority think is the hardest year of med school?

2. Bartelby

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go first year, go! (A guy can dream, right?)

3. WellWornLad

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Might be a better poll for the residents' section. Those who have lived through all the years have probably moved on.

4. eighty-twenty

eighty-twenty Eighty-twenty
    Physician PhD 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nothing was as hard as internship.

5. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ...and every year of med school was harder than college.

I voted M2. It all depends on what you consider hard. I would just hate hate to repeat that year.

6. BigRedBeta

BigRedBeta Why am I in a handbasket?

Attending Physician
    Overall, 1st year was the most difficult and the most miserable. But my absolute nadir in the whole process was around the first week of February in 2nd year...still 6 weeks away from spring break, it's cold/dark, been dealing with all the BS for over 18 months. You know that you're well along through the classroom work, but you've got Step 1 prep staring you right in the face when the official classwork is done...talk about depressing.

7. vasca

vasca En la era postpasambre
    5+ Year Member

People actually chose first year as the hardest??!! Hahahahahaha!!! :laugh:

I found first year to be the easiest in med school. You don't have pharmachology and surgery, nuff said. 2nd semester save for a ridiculous filler course that annoyed the bullocks out of me where you did useless math stuff.. and hystology, but that only because I had a teacher that had a very bad temper. When I look back at hystology after passing Pathology, I just wanna lol at what a wuss I was.

Second year is the toughest in my opinion in the sense of the subjects taught (surgery was a real pain in the rear and I didn't do well on Pharmachology). My university doesn't teach Pathology as such until M-3.

M-3 was mostly tough for just 2 subjects and getting used to going downtown for a change. The other subjects were a joke. I mean Geriatrics? I still don't know how in the hell I did so well in it, I barely even studied haha.

I found M-4 to be the second hardest year because of some subjects that were demanding both physically and mentally and that we had times in which we had 7 subjects at the same time and most of them only lasted 10 weeks. You virtually had an average of 2 final exams on the same day and sometimes even 3 exams because you never had the time to do a second partial exam in some of the subjects. Add the travelling I had to do (once I spent 6 hours in traffic! Half of the travelling walking), and it was tough. Night shifts are tiring too.

I won't vote because I haven't done internship yet. I'm doing it in a public hospital so I know for sure I'm going to be insanely overworked. Add bar exams and voila! Lot's of real work that will actually be useful to know in the long run. Delivering your own baby without dropping it can beat a Biochem 101 exam anyday.

8. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Second year sucked--big time

9. mTOR

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So far I'm REALLY getting rocked by 2nd year. :(

10. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For me, third year. I worked damn hard second year but it was on my own time and schedule. Third year, which I still enjoyed, means giving up control of your schedule and life to a great degree and by the end it was driving me batty.

11. Blesbok

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    2 year by far.

At least 3rd year you get to learn by application and between shelves there is a few weeks of downtime before ramping up the studying again.

12. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I voted for 2nd year, but then I haven't had surgery yet during 3rd year...

I thought 2nd year was the most academically demanding and going into 3rd year with very little vacation after studying and taking Step 1 sucked. However, I did like that your schedule was much more your own during 1st and 2nd years. On the more difficult rotations 3rd year where you're on Q4 call, it feels like you basically live in the hospital.

13. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    M3.

I was miserable most days (except on 2 rotations), yet I still had to be enthusiastic and put on the show of "Oh yes, even though I'm probably going to go into some other non-related specialty and I'm working my butt off on this rotation, I don't mind you making fun of my choice every day," or "I love running your patient notes all over the hospital while you eat a donut."

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind joking or doing some scut, but I had some absolutely miserable times last year that I never want to repeat, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone. There were also some decent times when other specialties tailored parts of their rotation to make it more interesting for me, or so I could see how integrate things between fields, and I appreciated that.

14. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    :laugh::laugh: that made me chuckle.

15. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on what you mean.

M1 was definitely a big adjustment and I didn't think the material was very interesting. Add to that all of my college buddies had landed relatively high paying jobs . . . made me feel like my life was on hold.

M2, the material was much tougher, but way more interesting. I worked harder, but enjoyed it more. I would rather have to repeat MS2 than MS1.

M3 has been amazing so far (but ask me again after I have medicine and surgery). It's nice to finally be in the hospital. Yeah, it sucks when you're on a rotation where the hours are long and you aren't allowed to do much of anything (cough . . . neuro . . . cough) but the fun stuff way outweighs the annoying. Shelf exams aren't so much fun, but they require significantly less studying than my exams did during MS1 and MS2.

16. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    M2 year by far (and I am 3/4 through with 3rd year so I think I can safely say it's not M3).

M1 was hard for the first few months and hard because I hated a lot of the material because it had nothing at all to do with clinical medicine. After a few months though it was pretty "easy"

M3 has been a pretty good year for me. With a few exceptions I have enjoyed all my rotations and although the hours can be pretty rough, I've felt good about what I've done at the end of the day.

statistician likes this.
  17. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Maybe I've been less miserable third year because I've never tried to pretend I was interested in a field when I wasn't. My neurology resident: "Interested in Neurology at all?" Me: "hah, no, god no".

18. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think I'll take this approach. People can usually see right through me anyway.

I'm not going to vote in this thread until I'm an intern in 3.5 years.

19. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    3rd year doing rotations like ob/gyn having no sleep and nasty fluids all over the place.

20. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:

21. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't pretend to be interested when I wasn't, starting in my first rotation, I said I wanted to do ortho. I just have an issue where I'm unable to slack off at work, so I work my butt off and try to not look as miserable as I felt (that took lots of energy on some rotations), and some people thought I wasn't working as hard as I could (my enthusiasm wained after 4 weeks of OB/gyn with 2 left). I also generally liked the patients on most rotations (not psych or OB/gyn), so I thought it'd be bad to come in miserable every day.

22. mercaptovizadeh

mercaptovizadeh ἀλώπηξ
    10+ Year Member

Most people concur that it's either M2 or M3. M2 because these studying is much more intense (and important) than M1 and because of the boards. M3 because of the clinical rotations with long hours, subjective evaluations, and intangibles Probably people who are more book-oriented would hate M3 more and people who are more hands-on would hate M2 more.

23. Blesbok

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Subjective evaluations are the worst part of 3rd year imo. You can work as hard as someone else and get a worse grade just because you got unlucky and got the ****ty resident.

24. Jwax

Jwax Just a minor variation
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I felt M1 was so much more emotionally challenging than M2 has been. Yes, I feel like the workload has increased significantly, but I am at least interested in maybe half the stuff we are learning this year as opposed to the maybe 10% that was interesting last year. Like many places, we have test blocks every 5 or 6 weeks, so usually I have 2 or 3 weeks of calm followed by 2 or3 weeks of doing just about nothing besides studying. This was a huge adjustment from the 2 or 3 days (or more realistically, one night) that I spent studying in UG. I was also much more afraid of failure 1st year and have had to adjust to not being a perfect student. This took until the end of first year. The day after our last exam first year, I felt so light-hearted and emotionally free that I really realized how much stress I had been carrying around at all times during 1st year and I decided then that I wasn't going to do that this year. It's worked - no nervous wrecks or emotional breakdowns for me this year.

Of course, I haven't started studying for boards yet. :eek:

25. Sean2tall

Sean2tall Pathology Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I said third. To me there's no real comparison. I guess if you really hate studying, then you could say first or second. First because it's an adjustment or second because the nature of the material changes. Third was the only year that was grueling at times, then fourth of course was a piece of cake. But I pretty much studied from home for 1st and 2nd and then did whatever else I wanted. If you attend all classes and then try to study afterward, that could make it more tedious, but I look back somewhat fondly on the first two years of just hanging out with my friends and reading stuff.

26. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Easily second year. Not so much hard as it was high volume. Beforehand they told us our vocabulary would increase by ~10,000 words during that year. Pretty crazy.