What was your organic chem grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O chem Labs 1&2 A-

O chem 1 A-

O chem 2 B+

it was gen chem that killed me

Members don't see this ad.

i got a's in all things organic chem.

I was pretty much hated in my class, because i never went. The teacher was horrible and only confused the class. I just read the book and did fine (had the solutions manual to the text obviously). Everyone wondered how I did it, its because i didnt listen to the lectures of the guy that couldnt keep electrophile/nucleophile straight. And i obviously had to show up to lab :thumbdown:

The funniest thing i heard him say when i actually showed up to class was something about how "alcohol leads to the backside attack". I would be like to the ladies "hey ladies, if i give you some alcohol will it lead to some backside attackin for ole nick here" :smuggrin:
Needless to say it didnt :mad: :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaker:

1998-1999: Orgo I & II: B-
2003 Summer: Orgo I & II: A

Age made a difference.

A in Organic 1 and lab
A in Organic 2 and lab
(would both be A+'s if my school gave them, but we only get A's. An A was 750 or so out of 1000 I had above 990 both semester :D
It is the most fun science behind biochem, because once you understand trends and the material you don't have to memorize as much(it is more like figuring it out). I think what helped is coming into the class very scared from what people told me(like no one gets an A in ochem). I studied from day 1 of class and it was great from there.

liverotcod said:
Can I get an AMEN!

Hallelujah!

5 years ago on the first time around I absolutely hated orgo, it was the bane of my existence. Last summer I actually enjoyed the classes quite a bit, despite their difficulty.

Organic 1 ? A (by 1 point)
Organic 2 ? A (by 2 points)

"A" in both parts of Organic lecture and lab.

On a tangential note for you veterans of Orgo Class - does anyone remember the web link to the site that has visualizations and other info for orgo? I remember seeing it posted on SDN sometime back and the search function isn't helping much right now.

I got A's in both semesters, lab and lecture.

PreMedAdAG said:
If not, take Schore if he's teaching.......... do not take the bastard that was on probation...(i don't remember his name)

Other advice.. try to get Nambiar.. he rocks.. is easy and is this little cute indian man who yells at people who read newspapers or fall asleep in class.

I think you are talking about Kurth. This guy is unreasonable and expects you to know stuff he never taught you. I had him for 118A. I took it in Fall 99, so it was a while back, but i heard he hasn't changed much. Nantz is also pretty tough, i had him for 118A (they co-taught the course) and had Haddadin for 118B (easy) and Toney for 118 C. NOt sure if they are even around anymore, damn i feel old.

My worst quarter was taking
BIS 101
Physics 9A
Chem 2C
Calculus 21C

or

BIS 103
BIS 104
Chem 108
Psych 1

but what you posted sounds horrible too.

Who was your bis101 professor? I'm actually enrolled in this class. And how was it?

Uegis said:
I think you are talking about Kurth. This guy is unreasonable and expects you to know stuff he never taught you. I had him for 118A. I took it in Fall 99, so it was a while back, but i heard he hasn't changed much. Nantz is also pretty tough, i had him for 118A (they co-taught the course) and had Haddadin for 118B (easy) and Toney for 118 C. NOt sure if they are even around anymore, damn i feel old.

My worst quarter was taking
BIS 101
Physics 9A
Chem 2C
Calculus 21C

or

BIS 103
BIS 104
Chem 108
Psych 1

but what you posted sounds horrible too.

Members don't see this ad :)
dshnay said:
Who was your bis101 professor? I'm actually enrolled in this class. And how was it?

BIS101, i had dvorak. Thick accent, but his exams are based on his handouts, so it wasn't bad. Had a tough final though to separate the A's and B's. I took it in my freshmen year to see if i liked science, back in 1998, when they didn't even offer the discussion section yet.

THe class is all genetics. Interesting stuff, but a lot to learn. There's some math involve, especially with the crossing over and hybrid stuff. Great class, but after taking it, i switched majors to Biochem instead of genetics. Just not my cupt of tea I guess.

Yeah i'm going to have a different professor, Sanders.
Thanks for such a quick reply! :)

Btw both of us have the same major
Thanks again

Uegis said:
BIS101, i had dvorak. Thick accent, but his exams are based on his handouts, so it wasn't bad. Had a tough final though to separate the A's and B's. I took it in my freshmen year to see if i liked science, back in 1998, when they didn't even offer the discussion section yet.

THe class is all genetics. Interesting stuff, but a lot to learn. There's some math involve, especially with the crossing over and hybrid stuff. Great class, but after taking it, i switched majors to Biochem instead of genetics. Just not my cupt of tea I guess.

dshnay said:
Yeah i'm going to have a different professor, Sanders.
Thanks for such a quick reply! :)

Btw both of us have the same major
Thanks again

Ah, BMB. Its a great major, but 120L sucks big time, Pchem was actually pretty fun. Like physics, up until 108 when it gets really crazy. But the MCB series is actually pretty easy and useful stuff.

I still live in Davis actually. I do research at the UCDMC right now while taking time off from school.

Good luck with your studies. PM me if you need any advice about classes or med application!!

Thanks, I'm practically counting down the days till i'm going to have to take chem 107ab&c.

And good luck with the research, I hope you get to publish an excellent paper :thumbup:

Shades McCool said:
I got A's in both semesters, lab and lecture.

It's threads like these that make me the anxiety ridden, overly concerned, caffiene addict of a premed that I am.

Thanks for holding me to the standard premed stereotype! I'd hate to deviate and actually get comfortable in my studies...

O.Chem I - A
O.Chem II - A
O.Chem Lab - A

Org 1 with labs : 91
Org 2 with labs : 93

It's not as hard as people make it out to be. It definitely doesn't require as much intellect as physics, and it's more about memorizing tons of reactions. :oops:

Organic 1: B
Organic 1L: A

Organic 2: A [I owned the curve]
Organic 2L: A

ALL A's baby, I loved organic! I seriously considered dropping pre-med and pursuing a PhD in it. Then I realized that I hate lab so that I idea went away. It's not that hard, just do a little everyday. :thumbup:

Orgo 1: A-, lab A-
Orgo 2: B+, Lab C-. hated the lab, took it a year after i had taken the class.
loved organic ecture tho. best teacher ever - Millikin University (IL).

A in orgo 1 and A+ in orgo 2.

I'll bite, but this gets my vote for silliest thread ever.

First time I took orgo at UNC:
Orgo 1: C
Orgo 1 lab: A
Orgo 2: C
Orgo 2 lab: A

Second time I took orgo at UNC (same prof, after I graduated):
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: A

It's amazing what a little bit of studying can do for you. :p I ended up really liking it the second time around (when I bothered to crack the book). Very cool stuff. Wish I had paid attention to it the first time around and taken more classes.

unfortunately C's on both I and II because of bastards that had the tests from their sororities/frats who f***** up the curve. our teacher eventually found out and our 3rd test and final were IMPOSSIBLE. that was for II. first semester of organic i just didnt really study as much as i should have...i wish i had!

OK, so it's a silly thread, but I actually know the answer to the question (as opposed to ones about what will actually help us get into med school) so I'll bite.

First semester (summer session at a dinky state university)
lecture: A, top grade in the class
lab: B+, I think I was supposed to do something else with my lab notebook. I don't know.

Second semester (spring semester at a non-dinky state university in a different state)
lecture: B+
lab: A

Definitely don't take the two semesters at different schools. The curriculum isn't standardized enough; I missed several topics and had to learn them on my own. I ended up doing fairly well once I finally assimilated all the information, but that wasn't enough to balance out my poor performance on the "review" material at the beginning.

I really enjoyed first semester, though. Since I took it in the summer I was able to devote a lot of practice and study time, so I learned it quite well and actually enjoyed lectures.

I don't see the whole physics vs ochem thing. Both require spatial reasoning and ability to apply patterns. You can memorize formulae (physics) or reactions (ochem), or you can gain a deeper understanding and be able to derive the formulae (physics) or actually understand what's going on based on stuff like electronegativity (ochem). The memorization route is easier in physics, though; there aren't that many formulae.

I got a B 1st semester Ochem and an A 2nd semester. The content for each semester is totally different, where 1st semester is less memorization and more application and 2nd semester is just the opposite. I studied 2x as hard (3+ hrs/night) for 1st semester; it just depends on what type of learner you are. I thought Ochem was the hardest class I took during undergrad. However, I felt that Biochem was easily as hard, but it was way more interesting and fun than Ochem.

I hope this helps!!!

Oh, what the hell. Here goes.

(All of these are at University of Minnesota.)
Organic I, Fall 2001: A-
Organic II, Spring 2002: W (that's for "withdraw")
Organic II, Spring 2003: C+
Organic Lab, Spring 2005: pending, obviously

I like to tell myself that my troubles in Organic II stemmed from having a prof for Organic I that allowed open-book exams, and a different, closed-book prof for Organic II. This couldn't have helped, but realistically I should have spent a lot more time on it. That's what a full-time job and a half-time credit load will do to you, I guess.

That C+ remains the worst grade I've ever gotten in anything. Until that point I'd had 3 B+ and 2 B grades in almost 200 semester hours' worth of courses. It took some getting used to.

I did redeem myself with an A in biochemistry the next semester, fortunately.

Hersey said:
Oh, what the hell. Here goes.

(All of these are at University of Minnesota.)
Organic I, Fall 2001: A-
Organic II, Spring 2002: W (that's for "withdraw")
Organic II, Spring 2003: C+
Organic Lab, Spring 2005: pending, obviously

I like to tell myself that my troubles in Organic II stemmed from having a prof for Organic I that allowed open-book exams, and a different, closed-book prof for Organic II. This couldn't have helped, but realistically I should have spent a lot more time on it. That's what a full-time job and a half-time credit load will do to you, I guess.

That C+ remains the worst grade I've ever gotten in anything. Until that point I'd had 3 B+ and 2 B grades in almost 200 semester hours' worth of courses. It took some getting used to.

I did redeem myself with an A in biochemistry the next semester, fortunately.

the heck? open book organic chem exam? uhh... i thought memorization was huge component of o chem...

It also depends on whether you go to a small, private university or a large state school. In the former, its usually a bit more difficult to get an A (probably due to stubborn prof's who are determined to be the last ones on the planet to give out an A) and also, your grades and GPA will be weighted a bit higher than with the latter.

Hersey said:

It's also worth noting the second semester tends to be quite a bit harder than first - lots more reagents, mechanisms and reactions to learn, and if you weren't really sure about the basic SN1/SN2/E1/E2 stuff first semester, this is where it really comes back to bite you.

i77ac said:
the heck? open book organic chem exam? uhh... i thought memorization was huge component of o chem...
Traditionally it is, yeah. I liked open-book while it lasted. If you were decently strong on the concepts, it was pretty easy to do well on the tests. It bit me later on, though.

I totally agree. It's almost impossible to memorize every reaction you encounter. If you understand the mechanisms behind the reactions and can predict/understand why certain molecules react in certain ways, you'll be a lot better off. And its fun to visualize the models in 3D. Use the construction sets.
If you actually learn the mechanisms and why the arrows push that way it's waaay easier than memorizing the reactions, it might seem like more work at first but it's better and easier in the long run. You start to see a parttern in the mechanisms

Reactions: 1 user
If you actually learn the mechanisms and why the arrows push that way it's waaay easier than memorizing the reactions, it might seem like more work at first but it's better and easier in the long run. You start to see a parttern in the mechanisms
Is there a reason you bumped at 13 year old thread? The person you are answering is probably dead by now. ;)

edit...Well...it looks like he's not dead...yet. :p He's still around.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a reason you bumped at 13 year old thread? The person you are answering is probably dead by now. ;)
I didn't look at the date lol, it showed up near the top so I responded hahahaha

Reactions: 1 user
Taken at a UC:

Orgo 1: C-, retake years later A
Orgo 2: B
Orgo 3: D+, retake years later B+

Ochem Lab1: A-
Ochem Lab2: A-

Honestly I should have just withdrawn before doing poorly in Orgo... would have made grade repair much easier down the line.

Surprisingly got a 128 on C/P of the MCAT despite my previous poor science performance in undergrad.

Ochem 1: A-
Ochem2: currently taking, expecting A or A-.
I want to add that I have the notoriously easy o-chem professor. I have put the absolute minimal work to get good grades in the class, and feel like I haven't learned anything. This material can easily be tested hard and I can see why other people find the class tough. I may have the grades that insinuate o-chem proficiency, but when I start studying for the MCAT I will be behind and have a poor knowledge base to start from. Ultimately it's a class that if you read the book and do lots of practice problems, it's not too complicated. But if you study 2 weeks of material right before exams (I have somehow done well despite this), you will be drowning.

organic 1 : C; 5 credits
organic 2: C; 5 credits

I subconsciously did that on purpose, and now regret it. I literally pretend that class didn't exist and lab brought me up to a C. I was super stressed out. I took orgo with physics I, calculus III, and reproductive biology. 17 credits never felt so tough. fortunately those are my only non-A grades, and my cGPA is 3.86

Orgo 1 : A
Orgo 2: My overall and science GPA were sitting at 3.9 so didn't care anymore and got a B

Orgo 2 was much more just memorization I felt and less intuitive than orgo 1