what was your predicted scores and the actual score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleyez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
before you took your MCATs for the first time..... what did you predict your MCAT score was going to be? I guess most people have the tendency to evaluate themselves higher than the average scores

and what was the actual scores received?

Members don't see this ad.

I was scoring in the mid 20s on my practice test so after taking the real thing, I thought I would get a 27. I ended up getting a 29 so I was happy even though it wasn't really that good.

The first time I took it, the real score matched the AAMC practice tests rather closely. In round two, after a summer of studying, my real score was about 3 points higher than the practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the EK 1e practice test and the free AAMC test, getting 25 and 27 on them, respectively.

On the real thing (August 2003), I got a 34. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I'm glad it did.

between a 29 AND 35 ON THE PRACTICE TESTS FROM AAMC...
I ACTUALLY MADE A 35 ON 5R.. BUT THE REAL THING TURNED OUT TO BE A 30R... SO THE TESTS ARE PRETTY GOOD INDICATORS... WITHIN 3 TO 4 POINTS OF THE REAL THING

JUST MY .02

2 points higher than the AMCAS online tests. 6 points higher than the kaplan diagnostic.

I was predicting between a 37-42.. got a 40. i was getting 38-39 on the AAMC tests.

I've taken the MCAT twice and here is what I learned.

PRACTICE TESTS DONT LIE!

When I first took the test I was getting between 24 and 29 on the practice tests. Real thing: 25

The second time around I was getting between 30 and 36. Real thing: 33

I decided to take the 5R, 6R, and 4R in the 4 weeks before the real test and I scored a 32, 36, 31 respectively. If you take that average it comes to exactly 33. Probably a bit of a coincidence but I think if you take the AAMC tests within a month of the real thing it will give you a good indication of how you are going to do.

edit: i rearranged things chronologically so they'd make sense

1. kaplan diagnostic: 37

2. -self locked in room for 6 weeks studying and contemplating english major-

3. real: 43

ps: my feeling for the day because posting it is therapeutic: phuck phinals

why would you pay kaplan if youre getting a 37 on a diag? i wonder if bill gates plays the lottery?

woah there, never have i paid kaplan a cent, in fact i have a program that directly competes with them (preview site at www.angelfire.com/pro/bruinmap). the diagnostic was given for free- the point of my post was that their diagnostics are notorious for underestimating student scores for two reasons:

1. they dont want students to cash in on the "money back guarantee" so they make the diagnostics very low scoring so that even if you didnt take their class seriously at all, you'd still "improve" and not get your money back

2. they want people to think they need a test prep course. the diagnostics typically score very low for those in the mid ranges (23-29 real mcat could come up as an 18 from kaplan)

not that i dont like them, one of my good friends actually works for them in fact; i just think that better can (and should) be offered for free

I'm glad to hear that about Kaplan's diagnostic because I took it yesterday and was about ready to give up. I'm in the process of finishing Phys I, Org I, and Bio II; next semester I'll be finishing off Org II and Phys II. I scored an 18 on Kaplan's diagnostic and could've cried. I haven't started studying yet, but all the same thought I would score higher than 6's. I've gotten or am getting A's in all of my prereq's so I was really beyond disappointed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, don't worry about that Kaplan diagnostic. I'm doing some coaching for the Biology Olympiad, and I swiped that test for the "What to Do When You're Clueless" lecture...it's harder, in a non-useful way, than any other premade test I've got.

First test (free Kaplan): It wouldn't have been above 30. I didn't finish. By midway through the test, I was so scared that I gave up and started grabbing textbooks like Michael Jackson at a 10-year-old boy convention.

48 hours later (free AAMC): Straight 14s. Admittedly, I didn't do much in those 48 hours besides cram, breathe, and occasionally run downstairs to grab a muffin from the cafeteria.

Three weeks later (MCAT): Same overall score, but my subject scores drifted a bit. ('Tis what I get for slacking on verbal...ah well :D )

PR's practice tests aside, I was scoring in the 27-30 range on the AAMC practice tests, with a 30 on the day before I took the real thing in August... I ended up with a 32, scoring better than I ever had, especially in the biology section.

Now as I am awaiting my fate in admissions, I will be thankful to get into any decent school, seeing as how I did better on the MCAT than I had ever expected.

AAMC 3R (I took all sections seperately, on different days)

VR:10
BS:10
PS:8

This was before I took Orgo II and Physics II....

Actual (aug 2003)

VR:11
BS:9
PS:8

I was hoping for a bit better as I had finished orgo and physics.... Oh well. Scores were pretty simular.

With the MCAT, it's about luck and preparation. There will be topics on the PS/BS that maybe you don't know to well and there will be some that you are smiling about. Personally, this happens to me. Study up on topics you don't understand to well!!!

Predicted AAMC 3-6: 28-32

Real: 30

Originally posted by Hermeone
don't worry so much just study hard.

AAMC 3-6: 22-28

Real: 38

hermeone,
You had a big improvement. Is it that you took those practice exams with some cavalier demeanor, or you just didn't get the hang on the MCAT? But I must reiterate that your improvement is the biggest I have seen or heard.
Nice though . . .

I don't know.

I guess I did not treat it as a real MCAT when I took it. I was suckling lollipop while working on AAMC 3. For AAMC 4, the TV was on. For AAMC 5: I was sipping hot coffee and eating chocolate chip cookies. For AAMC 6: I was totally distracted, went to the bathroom several times. due to diarrhea. I wasn't serious enough I guess

Now, for the real thing. I couldn't go anywhere. Freaking 8 hours on that stupid chair! My butt was numbed. So yeah, I am a little hyperactive.

Oh by the way Nuel, I don't think I want to pursue MD/PhD. I don't think I want to stay in the lab anymore. I begin loathing it right now.

Mania....

Originally posted by Hermeone
I don't know.

I guess I did not treat it as a real MCAT when I took it. I was suckling lollipop while working on AAMC 3. For AAMC 4, the TV was on. For AAMC 5: I was sipping hot coffee and eating chocolate chip cookies. For AAMC 6: I was totally distracted, went to the bathroom several times. due to diarrhea. I wasn't serious enough I guess

Now, for the real thing. I couldn't go anywhere. Freaking 8 hours on that stupid chair! My butt was numbed. So yeah, I am a little hyperactive.

Oh by the way Nuel, I don't think I want to pursue MD/PhD. I don't think I want to stay in the lab anymore. I begin loathing it right now.

Mania....

wow! so are you going to apply MD now? What caused the sudden change from the lab? well, that is a personal question. For me I think the lab is for me. Sometimes I wonder why I am applying MD and not just PhD. I think it is because I want to perform clinically relevant research and medicine is my prime and essential interest. kinda dichotomous, but we will unify our ideals. I love both worlds and want to make into my kind. Hermeone, good thing you knew stuff earlier on.

I asked myself a lot the other day.

I am a very active person. I like to interact with people all the time. So seeing patients is a great thing for me in the future and lab is not a good thing. Not talking/interacting with anyone in a day can really kill me.

Also, I am not innovative or creative enough. So, I won't survive in the world of scientific research and I never like teaching.

I love applying the knowledge I know/gain and searching/discovering something from research work is not something I love. I constantly feel so pressured working on my research projects.

Besides, writing paper and grant/proposal are considered something tedious to me.

I would like to work in an institution preferably the hospital but not the university.

I might do some research occasionally in the future but 50%-50% clinical and research is not what I am looking for nor 20-80 combination (research-the later).

hermeone you don't want to do research most likely due to interest factors. Claiming that you are not creative enough is rather too pre-determined and is not likely to be a main reason.

Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
edit: i rearranged things chronologically so they'd make sense

1. kaplan diagnostic: 37

2. -self locked in room for 6 weeks studying and contemplating english major-

3. real: 43

ps: my feeling for the day because posting it is therapeutic: phuck phinals

what the hell di dyou do to get a 43 . how is that even possible. please let me know exactly how you studied eg. memorize/ practice etc.