What was your testing center like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derArzt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

Can you describe these parts of the CBT testing centers:

Is the computer screen adjustable?
Chairs comfy? What kind?
Big room?
What are the desks like?

Members don't see this ad.

mine was a dungeon with a computer on the floor. no chair. just enough room to stretch your legs out.

Hey everyone-

Is the computer screen adjustable?
Chairs comfy? What kind?
Big room?
What are the desks like?

I don't want to scare you but you should definitely visit the test centre before. If you have a choice of where to write it (like if it's offered in more than one place in your area) it's good to know what you're getting in each and then choose. When I wrote mine last year, I picked the centre downtown for convenience and didn't really think twice about it despite the stories I had heard. But when I got there, it was crap! The computers didn't even have a flat screen monitor. It was one of those ancient things and the colors were tiring and hard on the eyes after continuous reading. I hated it! The chairs were not that great and I didn't like the set-up at all. I asked around and found out apparently that the other centre is apprently better. So this year, I signed up there. Hopefully it won't be as bad. *crosses fingers*

Good luck to you!

Following up on my previous reply. Lo and behold, it wasn't a dungeon. Mine had the capacity of about 34 people. I used noise canceling headsets (which only cancel some sound). I sat in a comfy black, swivel chair. Computer had a flat screen where you could adjust it (I adjusted mine so it was lower than view and pointed up towards me, like a laptop screen). Cube was about 2x3.5 feet. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone-

Is the computer screen adjustable? Yes, it was I believe, but I didn't adjust it.
Chairs comfy? What kind? Chairs were fine, no issues. Rolling chair with a high back and arm rests.
Big room? sectioned off with partitions but I never felt cramped at all. I'd say it was a good 7-8 feet area that I had to take my exam in.
What are the desks like? 7-8 feet wide. Only thing on it was keyboard, mouse (and pad) and monitor. more room than I needed.

my testing center is relatively new though, it obviously will vary.

Hey,

I'm from Ottawa too and I was wondering which center you wrote in last year and which one you are writing in now? I'm writing at Holland Crossing and I'm not sure if they let me go in there before the test day.

Thanks

Mine was pretty sketchy!! VERY full and crowded (and this wasn't even on an "official" test day - it was a hurricane make up day in October), OK chairs, big cube-world type room. Kinda annoying to hear others working on essay parts (clackety-clack), for which they provided not-so-good headphones.

Good luck! :)

I actually had a really awesome test site. The workers were even really nice! I did take it in a yuppie suburb, so maybe that has something to do with it...Large flatscreen, mouse (without the rolly-thing, which bugged me a little because I'd always practiced with one), comfy rolly chair that I could sit cross-legged in. Cozy little cubicle, provided earplugs, noise-cancelling headphones, AND a white noise maker. I wasn't crazy about the regular pencils, I prefer mechanical, but that's really the only thing other than the mouse that I'd have changed. Besides the test itself, it was a very good experience. Much better than my ACT, which i'd taken in my HS study hall room with 300 of my closest friends. MCAT testing center was probably 30 people total, split between two rooms. Nice temperature, and magazines in the waiting area so I could at least try to zone out a little before I checked in.