What was your TOUGHEST interview question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

That Girl Farah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and how did you answer? Just getting a lil nervous as interviews fast approach and also curious about what's been thrown at you guys!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what is the biggest problem in medicine and what do you propose to fix it?

toughest I had asked:

What the hell is that organic grade on your transcript? (or at least thats how I interpreted it)

What is one issue in medicine that your feel needs the most attention and how would you fix it? (The student was a dick to say the least)

toughest that I ask now:

What was the last book you read and what was it about?

If you didn't get into medical school and had no feasible chance of doing it in the future, what would you do from this point on? Would you rather do that then medicine? (I like that one, no right answer either.)

Members don't see this ad :)
tell me about yourself-sounds simple, but for me at least, i had no idea where to start.

Originally posted by myhc
tell me about yourself-sounds simple, but for me at least, i had no idea where to start.

i hear ya on that one..my first interview and i got that question...fumbled around a bit and managed to answer that i am God

got waitlisted and eventually denied at good ol' vandy

oh another favorite of mine was an interviewer at case asking me how to spell his last name...it was some 12 letter long polish last name...so make sure you start memorizing your interviewers' names, last first and middle :) (i got the ...ski part right but mixed up a letter or two in the beginning)

Those questions were hard, but nothing with what I got at TCOM.

"If you are the Surgeon General of USA and President Bush asks you to name the top 3 problems in healthcare and solutions to fix each problem, what would say? "

That was my hardest interview question EVER.

i told the interviewer that each of the solutions to President Bush were to "find the terrorists"

we both cracked up, I then rambled on some more cuz I didnt know how to answer that question.

I think i said the top 3 problems - 1) HMOs - solution was that doctors need to lobby together to get their rights.. he liked that answer alot

2) medicare- many physicians cant treat their patients cuz the govt is too late on paying the doctors... he tore me up on this and said that medicare was very efficient

3) I think I said we need a program like canada.. he was like how, i said tax breaks and then he laughted at me...

so that was my experience at TCOM

harder than TCOM's question was some of Baylor's questions...

they were asking me to compare germany, sweden's canada's healthcare systems to USA

I didnt know much about double tier/single tier systems at the time so I got messed up pretty bad

peace

hey guys, how would you read up on HMO's and problems of the healthcare system unless you work in that field? Do adcoms expect undergrads to do research the interviews prior to having them? Ridiculous.

Originally posted by premedi-kid
hey guys, how would you read up on HMO's and problems of the healthcare system unless you work in that field? Do adcoms expect undergrads to do research the interviews prior to having them? Ridiculous.

In my experience, yes and no. They expect you to have some ideas about what's wrong with our healthcare system and maybe an idea or two about how we might fix it but they don't expect you to be an expert or even correct for that matter. I remember stating problems with our system and how to fix them but also at times saying, "I don't know enough yet to understand how we could go about reconciling this problem." They seemed to like that answer just as well. I read "Understanding Health Policy" prior to my interviews and it helped me out a lot...it even gives you an idea of what the British and Canadian systems are like, if I recall correctly. Knowing some of this info shows that you are interested in healthcare and that you pay attention to what is going on.

Worst question:

Guy at Einstein Med, I talk about how I am into eating healthy and excercising and such.

He blurts out:

"Do you think I am fat?" With a perfectly straight face...

I said basicalyl I'd have to check your BMI, but based on looking at you I'd guess you'd be out of the normal weight range...

Then he asks?

"How old do you think I am?

I say 55

He says, "No, I am 74"

Interviewer: Oh, I see you got a C in general chemistry. How do you expect to hack it in medical school if you're getting Cs in general chemistry?

Me: That was 6 years ago, and my study skills have improved since then. If you look at my later grades and at my MCAT score, I think you'll see that I've since improved my grades and learned the material in general chemistry.

Interviewer: Yes, but you got a C.

Me: Yes, and that was 6 years ago when I first came to college. I didn't know what I was doing but I do now.

Interviewer: Oh, I see you work in arthritis research. Do you know why my hands hurt?

Me: Because you have arthritis?

How has the world changed since you've been here? Medical or non-medical wise?

are you a pot head Fokker?

that wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't hooked up to a polygraph

Originally posted by texdrake

If you didn't get into medical school and had no feasible chance of doing it in the future, what would you do from this point on? Would you rather do that then medicine? (I like that one, no right answer either.)

Answer : as long as there are for-profit schools in the Caribbean, or in Kirksville Missouri, nobody should have to answer this question. there's always a spot in medical school, ( for the right price )

interviewer: do you have erotic dreams of my wife?

me: Ummm, clarify.

Iwas at Duke a few days after the highly publicized, botched transplant operation mess that happened this year. Worst question I got was there:
What would you do if you were the surgeon involved in that situation? What would you say to the family? Would you quit your job?

I stammered....a lot....maybe that's why they rejected me......;)
oh well

Originally posted by siempre595
Iwas at Duke a few days after the highly publicized, botched transplant operation mess that happened this year. Worst question I got was there:
What would you do if you were the surgeon involved in that situation? What would you say to the family? Would you quit your job?

oh well

you should have said, " If I was the surgeon, we would have used matched organs":laugh:

Originally posted by siempre595

oh well

You're really better off not going to Dook :D

oh c'mon...y'all knew it was coming. GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!

What sort of drugs do they do at your college (Columbia).

Why Jm, you interested in a buy????????:laugh:

Originally posted by Columbia22
Why Jm, you interested in a buy????????:laugh:

No - but I think my interviewer was.