What was your undergrad major??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belle.ame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Heyyyy

Do you mind telling me your undergrad major before you went to Dental School, if you had any regrets declaring it and if you can recommend someone else to also take it??

I will be starting school in January and any tips you might have will help me greatly.

Thank you!!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Exercise Physiology.

Things I loved: Heavy emphasis on human anatomy, physiology, metabolism, etc.

Things I wish were different: Bigger emphasis on maths. When it came time to prepare for my DAT, the QR section bit me in the butt because it had been so long since I saw those types of questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Microbiology:

Things I loved: Immunology, Pathology, and lab work (Got to get that hand dexterity!)

Things I wish were different: More exposure to human anatomy and non-immunology human physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
Business Management

Things I loved: how to run a business such as staff hiring, organization, etc

Things I wish were different: More class electives that cater to certain aspects of a dental practice.

Sometimes I wish I was a bio major to get an upper hand when I get into dental school. But currently I am in the upper level management classes which I am learning useful information that can be used in a dental practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your answers!!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Biological sciences

Things I liked: allowed me to take a ton of upper division sciences such as microbio, Immunology, Biology of cancer, Biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, molecular and cell biology that are all super helpful in dental school.

Things I wish were different: my classes were huge because there are so many pre-med people. I didn't get to form great relationships with professors

Overall, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2 users
Cell Biology/Genetics (University of Minnesota)

Things I liked: Lab work was great and I got used to it before being in dental school. Some immunology. And was able to sneak in some physiology if I remember correctly.

Things I Wish We're Different: I learned a lot of stuff in genetics which I don't see a very good use for now as a dental student. I would say this program would be better for graduate students looking to get a Ph.D.

Would I Recommend: Yes... But it's not for everyone. For me, I really liked and was interested in the coursework, but i can also see where others may not be so into it. Do your research on programs you are interested in. And if you do end up going with a major of specialized bio (like microbio, etc.), definitely try to take some physiology/anatomy courses since they are not completely integrated

Has anyone done biomedical engineering? It seems like a good way to have both a backup plan but yet have the flexibility to go into dental school. Would the workload be overwhelming?

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 users
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

Biological sciences

Things I liked: allowed me to take a ton of upper division sciences such as microbio, Immunology, Biology of cancer, Biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, molecular and cell biology that are all super helpful in dental school.

Things I wish were different: my classes were huge because there are so many pre-med people. I didn't get to form great relationships with professors

Overall, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I too was a Bio Sciences major at a big name college. But I feel this degree prepares you very well for the DAT, excluding the QR.

Last edited:
I too was a Biomedical Sciences major at a big name college. But I feel this degree prepares you very well for the DAT, excluding the QR.
Yeah I agree. Plus upper division sciences always help in dental school