what went wrong? was it the greencard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kasha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as i am trying to understand what went 'wrong' for me this cycle it's occured to me that perhaps there is an issue with my legal status in the US. is it a coincidence that the only school that admitted me is somewhat afiliated with my native country? (israel) the reason this is interesting is that i am becoming a citizen as we speak. i wonder if anyone knows whether being a permanent resident in the US means that an applicant falls into a quota separate from citizens and whether this diminishes chances for admissions?

thanks in advance

btw: i would prefer input based on knowledge and not mere speculation ;)

Members don't see this ad.

kasha said:
as i am trying to understand what went 'wrong' for me this cycle it's occured to me that perhaps there is an issue with my legal status in the US. is it a coincidence that the only school that admitted me is somewhat afiliated with my native country? (israel) the reason this is interesting is that i am becoming a citizen as we speak. i wonder if anyone knows whether being a permanent resident in the US means that an applicant falls into a quota separate from citizens and whether this diminishes chances for admissions?

thanks in advance

Looking at your profile you got waitlisted at alot of top tier schools and you withdrew from 3 schools that could have probably accepted you easily. NYU is a weird school. They reject people who should get in and vice-versa. It could be your personal statement. Alot of people dont understand that alot of schools want to hear certain things from you and it is nearly impossible to please them all with one statement. But cheer up mate you got into AECOM way to go mate. Oh and were you in the IDF?

I doubt it. Having a greencard means you're in the country legally and on your way to getting acitizenship. Theres no reason to think med schools rejected you for that

Members don't see this ad :)
aliziry said:
Looking at your profile you got waitlisted at alot of top tier schools and you withdrew from 3 schools that could have probably accepted you easily. NYU is a weird school. They reject people who should get in and vice-versa. It could be your personal statement. Alot of people dont understand that alot of schools want to hear certain things from you and it is nearly impossible to please them all with one statement. But cheer up mate you got into AECOM way to go mate. Oh and were you in the IDF?

yeh thanks. i thought the idf card would have helped a bit more though

green card holders should be treated like a citizen right?

kasha said:

It should you guys kicked our asses several times. Im Egyptian. But which college did you really want to go to. I take it from your profile it was not AECOM

kasha said:

thanks in advance

good profile :thumbup:
i not sure but it's like this:
when you are applying for a school that's out of your state
then the schools are to consider in-state residents first
seeing that you are a legal resident and not a citizen as yet
then maybe your application goes to the back of the pile
but again i'm not sure.
i don't see why you should not get in you have a pretty good profile
just wait a while maybe your acceptance into your top choice is in the mail :)

Permanent residents have the same status as citizens in the app. process. It's the international students who get shafted.

AECOM is a great school and top 20 schools are too random.

kevster2001 said:
I doubt it. Having a greencard means you're in the country legally and on your way to getting acitizenship. Theres no reason to think med schools rejected you for that

well unless the guy has served in another nation's military!

TM2006 said:
well unless the guy has served in another nation's military!
hmm... that could be a problem. but atleast it's israel right? not the PLA

kevster2001 said:
hmm... that could be a problem. but atleast it's israel right? not the PLA

It still means that his allegiance is to another nation and not the U.S. (aka international student)

TM2006 said:
It still means that his allegiance is to another nation and not the U.S. (aka international student)

what?

to the op: Having a green card makes no difference in the application process. You are on the same playing field as the citizens.

Members don't see this ad :)
green card = permanent resident = switching allegience to us

I currently hold an Australian passport, a British passport, and a US green card.

Didn't affect my application in the slightest, so I can tell you firsthand that No, Permanent Residents are not considered any differently than citizens.

Jedix123 said:
green card = permanent resident = switching allegience to us

not if he has served in another nation's millitary. that's my view at least...

kasha said:

If you flaunted your IDF card or the fact that you were in the Israeli military, it might have been held against you on a subconscious level. Don't go freaking out about antisemitism but not everyone thinks that the Israeli government and military is all that moral or legitimate.

BrettBatchelor said:
It was the IDF....Allies of the US to say the least.

most definitely to say the least.

nmnrraven said:
If you flaunted your IDF card or the fact that you were in the Israeli military, it might have been held against you on a subconscious level. Don't go freaking out about antisemitism but not everyone thinks that the Israeli government and military is all that moral or legitimate.
I agree that being in the IDF might have been held against her, but not because of her being specifically from Israel (The overwhelming majority of people in the US support Israel and its policy), but because of the fact that state school's tuition is reduced because the expect the student to stay in-state. Maybe the OP has shown too little ties to the state, and that's really important.

EddieIndy said:
I agree that being in the IDF might have been held against her, but not because of her being specifically from Israel (The overwhelming majority of people in the US support Israel and its policy), but because of the fact that state school's tuition is reduced because the expect the student to stay in-state. Maybe the OP has shown too little ties to the state, and that's really important.

exactly! took the words out of my mouth.

EddieIndy said:
(The overwhelming majority of people in the US support Israel and its policy

That is not true. Where are you getting this information? Furthermore, being from Israel is nothing anyone intelligent would hold against you. Being an overly proud member of the IDF, which is not viewed positively in much of the world (scores of UN resolutions against israel for their inhumane military practices) might in fact hurt you.

Still, the guy or girl got in somewhere so there isn't all that much to complain about. Good work!

EddieIndy said:
...(The overwhelming majority of people in the US support Israel and its policy)...

Um...proof?

Rafa said:
Um...proof?

Just a quick Google:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...cles/2006/03/26/america_takes_side_of_israel/

A GALLUP POLL released last month puts American support for Israel at near-record levels. When asked for their views on the Middle East, 59 percent of Americans say they sympathize with the Israelis, while just 15 percent favor the Palestinians. Pro-Israel sentiment rises with increased knowledge -- 66 percent of those who follow international affairs ''very closely" support Israel, compared with 52 percent of those who don't pay close attention to foreign news.

Other findings are comparable. More than two-thirds of Americans say their overall view of Israel is favorable. Only 11 percent, by contrast, have a favorable opinion of the Palestinian Authority.

Staunch American support for Israel is nothing new. In February 2005, Gallup reported similarly lopsided findings -- 69 percent of the public viewed Israel favorably, 25 percent unfavorably. In 2004, when Israel was being denounced in Europe and the United Nations for its assassination of Sheik Ahmed Yassin, the leader of Hamas, 61 percent of Americans said Israel was justified in killing him. In 2002, when a CBS News poll asked whether Israel's actions against Yasser Arafat and his forces were equivalent to US actions against Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, 59 percent agreed that they were.

In short, solidarity with Israel is an abiding feature of American public opinion. Because the American people are pro-Israel, the American government is pro-Israel. And because Americans so strongly support Israel in its conflict with the Arabs, American policy in the Middle East is committed to Israel's defense.

MissMuffet said:

Ummm... here's a point. I think there was a news report the other day that pointed out that the pollsters' data might be skewed because they only contact people with land lines and don't include cell phone users...

Plus, the Israeli lobby (i.e. AIPAC) is world reknown for PR operations in the US. The Boston story doesn't surprise me.

a quick google search found this: http://www.ifamericansknew.org

the documentary trailer has some very interesting interviews...

I might have missed it but I didn't see any medical volunteering, etc. that shows a passion for medicine. To me it appears that you are a very smart engineer from a great school that just decided he wants to go to med school. I think others appear to want it more, maybe in your essays and interviews your passion did not come through. Perhaps some hospital work would have helped. I am sure glad you got in somewhere, I'm sure you will do fine. Good luck.

pagemmapants said:
I currently hold an Australian passport, a British passport, and a US green card.

Didn't affect my application in the slightest, so I can tell you firsthand that No, Permanent Residents are not considered any differently than citizens.

thanks

all of your input has been very valuable guys and gals so thanks. i just wanted to clarify a few things:

a) i'm a guy
b) i have some clinical exposure and research that wasnt posted on my profile, although maybe not enough
c) if i am as smart as some of you suggest i am dont you think that i would have taken my military history and used it selectively rathern than flaunted it? clearly there is some conflict of interest between being part of an organization that kills when necessary and between one that heals.

so no, i didnt 'flaunt' my service.

thanks again for all of your points and good luck!

Yes, it's a discussion for another forum. But for what it's worth, I wasn't trying to prove the other poster's assertion, as it is exaggerated. I just did a quick google, and after scanning it, figured that article had enough current and historical poll data on it to get a general idea of where Americans stood, according to polls. An ABC poll was similar. Details could take pages to debate. Like you say - a topic for another forum.

i heard green card holders get shafted later in the residency process though..

heeseop said:
i heard green card holders get shafted later in the residency process though..

Whaaaaaa!??????
If so, that's BS. I pay just as many taxes as a citizen and get half the privileges already.

mchee said:
a quick google search found this: http://www.ifamericansknew.org

the documentary trailer has some very interesting interviews...

I just took a quick look at this site and no offense but it seems EXTREMELY biased... I tried to find out more about the people who started this organization/site but they don't really have any info identifying them. I'm pretty curious to see what type of group these people belong to.

Edit: So I found info identifying Alison Weir (not to be confused with the British author) started this site and she speaks around the country.. here is an article written in the paper at Northwestern summarizing her talk there in 2001... (http://www.chron.org/tools/viewart.php?artid=225) one highlight includes her claim that "during World War II there was a secret "Zionist-Nazi" co-conspiracy to relocate the Jews of Europe to Palestine in an effort to flood the country with an enormous Jewish population."

Sounds real credible... :rolleyes:

Btw, the the OP: I doubt it hurt your app.. you didn't apply to a wide range of schools as someone mentioned and there is no guarentee esp in the top 20.. i'm proof of the randomness... but congrats! you're gonna be a rofeh!

kasha said:
as i am trying to understand what went 'wrong' for me this cycle...

you have an acceptance to a u.s. allopathic med school. and a great one at that. maybe you didn't get into your dream school, but a lot of people would give anything to be in your position.

i just hope you appreciate it, that's all. and congrats, you're on your way!!

Wow, it sounds like you're not really doing bad, getting into AECOM (I wanted to go there, but got rejected after my interview) and waitlisted at other great schools for now. I guess you could just wait a little while and see what happens for the wait-lists.

Also, I know you don't want any speculation, but I do think not being a citizen hurts your chances a bit, even if you have a green card. It's similar to the reasoning that being from the same city or state as a private school helps your chances.

Plus, don't forgot, you applied to some of the best schools in the country! Most people have nearly perfect grades and test scores like you at the schools so anything little can be a big difference in acceptance. I don't think it would be all that bad of an idea to reapply if you don't get into a top top school this cycle. Also, it might help to show interest in a school you're waitlisted if you havent yet.

kasha said:

thanks in advance

call the schools and ask them.