What were some irritating/ unfair questions non-trads asked in interviews?

ResIpsa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Status
Hi,

As a non-trad I was wondering what sort of unfair and/or irritating questions were you asked in your med school interviews? Things like marital status, whether you were going to have children, plans for family and med school, etc. One question I was asked by an employer for a regular job (my glide year job before med school) was: "Does your husband approve of your going to medical school?" Approve???!!!??? I was highly pissed by that comment.

Just wondered what sorts of questions to expect.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
Attending Physician

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
efex101 said:
I agree. No interviewers I've had have ever asked anything outside the scope of my application and background, my age, my reasons for pursuing medicine, and whether I had a realistic view of what I was getting myself into...

ntmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Law2Doc said:
I agree. No interviewers I've had have ever asked anything outside the scope of my application and background, my age, my reasons for pursuing medicine, and whether I had a realistic view of what I was getting myself into...
Ditto. A couple interviewers schools asked me whether I felt I was too old (I was 38). But most did not care, and most did not ask what I felt were unfair questions. The most common questions were "why do you want to be a doctor", "why now ", "what kind of doctor do you want to be", and "tell me a little about yourself".

I never got the "does your spouse approve" question. (And I'm not trying to suggest I know the motives of your employer.) But I felt it was important that my interviewers knew this. I usually made it a point during my interviews to say the my wife and kids were all supportive, and that as a family, we put together a plan to make sure medical school would work.

Elmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
ntmed said:
I never got the "does your spouse approve" question. (And I'm not trying to suggest I know the motives of your employer.) But I felt it was important that my interviewers knew this. I usually made it a point during my interviews to say the my wife and kids were all supportive, and that as a family, we put together a plan to make sure medical school would work.
I did get that question, but "does your wife approve?"
I think the interviewer just wanted to know if she was behind the decision. The interviewer said that typically problems at home cause more difficulty for students than the coursework.

Baditude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
Status
I was asked what kind of support system I had going back at this time, whether I was planning on having any more children, what was my husband's profession, how my family would feel about moving all around the country for my education, and whether I felt I was too old to be "doing this" I was 33 when I was applying.
I even had one school tell me I was too old because the amount of time it would take to pay back my loans would not allow enough time for me to contribute significantly back to the school as an alumni. :mad:

It was a really sad experience!!

DocteurMarion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Baditude said:
I even had one school tell me I was too old because the amount of time it would take to pay back my loans would not allow enough time for me to contribute significantly back to the school as an alumni. :mad:

It was a really sad experience!!
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! That is so :mad: R U D E :mad:
What school was it if I may ask?

Static Line

America's Guard of Honor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Status
ResIpsa said:
Hi,

As a non-trad I was wondering what sort of unfair and/or irritating questions were you asked in your med school interviews? Things like marital status, whether you were going to have children, plans for family and med school, etc. One question I was asked by an employer for a regular job (my glide year job before med school) was: "Does your husband approve of your going to medical school?" Approve???!!!??? I was highly pissed by that comment.

Just wondered what sorts of questions to expect.
A considerable amount of time with one of my three interviewers was spent talking about my family (wife and child). And yes, he wanted to know if they approve. I don't think that is anything to get your panties in a wad about. For one, I think it is very fair to question someone about their family, your family will be going through this with you. My interviewer wanted to know that we have talked about it, and have made our plans. They want you to be successful in medical school, not bail out when it gets rough on you or your family. In fact, my interviewer even broke down a time line with me and he figured out how old I'd be, and how old my daughter would be after finishing just a 3 year residency. He asked me if I was willing to sacrifice some of that time and miss some important things in her life (God knows that I hope it isn't much). Though I have many times already done this in my own head, I had a good answer for him. That sealed my spot in the class right there and he told me that he would support my application for admission in the adcom meeting. Point is: I don't think that they were infering that you need your husbands permission to go to med school as much as you need his support, otherwise, one of them will fail. Which one, family or school, do you want to give up?

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I got asked about how I would handle the workload and long hours as an older student, how my boyfriend felt about me going to med school, and how I would handle my father's terminal illness during med school.

In fairness, I walked into all of these by mentioning the words "older student" "boyfriend" and "colon cancer." Once you mention the topic, it's fair game. In a later interview, I prevented the interviewer from being able to ask any of these questions by carefully avoiding such topics. He acknowledged as much and even said he wanted to ask about family and related issues but could not, unless I brought up the topic. I just agreed and we went on to another topic.

Going into areas like that can be a minefield. It was better for me to avoid them altogether.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
MN
Status
Attending Physician
Yup, again like meowmix stated if you open the door be prepared to talk about it...fair or not.

chloejane

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Status
I'm a non-trad pharmacy student (or will be in fall 2005)... I thought it was fair for them to bring up questions like that (about family, age, coping, ect) because they may later be important. I was very open to discussing the problems of my husband deploying often and the issues within my family (in general) because both they and I recognize that such issue *might* affect my performance in school and in such a case, how would I deal... those situations aren't necessarily far-reaching and we have talked about them. I'm open discussing such things with people- for the adcom, just knowing that you (or in this case, I, ) recognized the potential problem and had somewhat prepared reassured them quite a bit I think.

Keep in mind during the difficult questions that they may not be asking to pry, but to evaluate your preparedness and ability to cope. Many of them have been through difficult times also, and I think they want you to be aware and prepared for them if they come during your educational career.
Good luck!!

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
none

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
At my Albany interview ( :thumbdown: ) the guy who interviewed me never asked about why medicine, or what my expereince was or anything about MEDICAL school. He started in on why I left a job 18 years previously, why I left another job 16 years ago, and then another situation where I changed fields, etc. He also asked me about intensely personal family things from my TEENAGE years. It was like a real hostile job interview interview (only worse) where they guy was just ripping me up and down for these ancient things. Ok, Paws is older too so you get the time line.

Anywhoo, I was a wreck by the end of the interview and he then asked me about a dramatic episode that happened in my personal statement and tried to get me to trip up, like I had made it up.

I honestly had no idea why he invited me 3,000 miles, spending $700 just to be ripped apart. No thank you ! Another school had asked me: how do we know you'll stick with this and not decide to go and do whatever ... and I had a great response for her. I told her that it had already taken me ten years to get there, and that the last ten years had been carefully arranged, etc. She seemed to like that and I was accepted in week. :D

Albany was the pits :thumbdown: