What we've learned in researching Caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this got necrobumped...for those starting from page one like me: OP's wife started an off-cycle family medicine intern year this January after receiving an offer outside the match.

Glad it worked out. Surprised she didn't wait to see whether she could get what she had dreamed of, but it wouldn't be without taking a risk. Ultimately, matching IM is also not the same as getting an oncology fellowship, so she could have matched and gone through 3 years of it only to end up doing general medicine. Being out 6 months early and only having 1-2 months break also probably kept her from getting rusty.

Also, it may not be the same, but she could deal with a similar patient population if she wished to go into Palliative medicine. I suppose it really depends on which aspects she was interested in. Not for me, but then again I wouldn't want to go into oncology either.

Members don't see this ad.

I think before your wife takes her acceptance to AUC-when she does get accepted- it makes more sense to retake the MCAT. The MCAT is strongly correlated with the Umsle; those who score subpar in the MCAT are extremely likely to struggle and fail out of medical school and fail the Usmle repeatly. Before you and your wife make the investment into medical school it is paramount that both of you are sure your wife is ready. Taking the MCAT again, while it is a tremendous burden is a small price to pay. Since you can always defer admissions to AUC, i see no reason for why you can not postpone this life changing decision.
That’s actually not true. There is no correlation between MCAT scores and USMLE.

Sounds like the gamble paid off but prospective applicants to med school shouldn’t use it to influence their decision any more than watching someone hit the jackpot on a slot machine should influence me to start playing slots.

Sounds like the gamble paid off but prospective applicants to med school shouldn’t use it to influence their decision any more than watching someone hit the jackpot on a slot machine should influence me to start playing slots.
Great analogy, except it's actually a horrible analogy.

Comparing someone's success coming from a Caribbean medical school to hitting the jackpot on a slot machine is ridiculous, not to mention insulting. Succeeding from the Caribbean depends on careful self reflection when deciding whether to matriculate, years of hard work, and thoughtful/strategic planning when applying for residency. Hitting the jackpot on a slot machine depends solely on luck and chance.

This is a complicated and nuanced topic that deserves more than armchair philosophy...

Reactions: 3 users