What will be reimbursed by the Navy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C10H15N

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received the bill from my school and was wondering what might not be paid for by the navy. And do I have to pay this large sum up front and be reimbursed or do I just wait? How does it exactly work? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.36.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.36.07 AM.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 100
You can check out all of the Navy's rules on what it will and won't pay by browsing through the accessions website.

Accessions

Your benefit start date determines what semester of tuition they will pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of that will be paid except some of your student services fees. They may need a detailed report of what all that includes. Things like SGA fee, parking, and a couple other things they won't pay. Besides that they should cover it all. I usually have to pay about $80-$130 each semester. They also won't pay for the sales tax on anything, so they may need a copy of your dental kit invoice or something to verify the actual amount. My school didn't make me pay it all up front, I just told them I was in the Navy and they let me register and all that while waiting for my paperwork to get processed, took about 6 weeks after the start of school. You'll just have to ask your bursar's office. Read the manual though, there are a lot of good things in there to learn. I'm a D4 and I still read through it every now and then and find something new I didn't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I contacted my school to figure out what the Navy typically covers because they obviously have the most experience when dealing with students on the HPSP. And they informed me that the Navy doesn't cover the 'Student Service Fee'. Why would they not cover a required fee? I read in the handbook that they don't cover fees if it includes reduced sporting event tickets, which it doesn't. So I can't figure out why the Navy would decline to pay a required fee by the school.

So I contacted my school to figure out what the Navy typically covers because they obviously have the most experience when dealing with students on the HPSP. And they informed me that the Navy doesn't cover the 'Student Service Fee'. Why would they not cover a required fee? I read in the handbook that they don't cover fees if it includes reduced sporting event tickets, which it doesn't. So I can't figure out why the Navy would decline to pay a required fee by the school.

Trust me i've been down that road and argued it hard, that fee shouldn't be that much though but in the manual it does mention something about student service fees or something along those lines of not being reimbursed. I think them paying $70k+ for my years worth of stuff I can handle a $50 student service fee. Just be glad you are not Army, they are hardcore sticklers about reimbursements and require a lot more hoops than I've had to deal with with the Navy.

Reactions: 2 users
Trust me i've been down that road and argued it hard, that fee shouldn't be that much though but in the manual it does mention something about student service fees or something along those lines of not being reimbursed. I think them paying $70k+ for my years worth of stuff I can handle a $50 student service fee. Just be glad you are not Army, they are hardcore sticklers about reimbursements and require a lot more hoops than I've had to deal with with the Navy.
Dang I wish my student service fee was only $50 haha. It's freakin $652! I do get an extra $400 to spend on my loupes since I guess that they do cover the built in cost the school chargers for dental loupes which is $1802.

Straight from the handbook it states, "Tuition will be paid directly to the school for all mandatory/required fees listed on the school's "Mandatory Fee" document and upon receipt of a valid invoice. "

And then it goes on to say:
"2. The following items are not authorized even if listed as a Mandatory Fee by the school:
a. Fees to reduce the cost of sporting or event tickets.
b. CAP and gown (purchase or rental).
c. Computer or other electronic purchase such as PDAs, cell phone, or pagers.
d. Any optional fee."

The $652 my school charges for fees does not include any of the not authorized fees. So I still don't get why it is not covered. It is Kind of irritating since I signed a contract thinking all the mandatory fees would be covered that abide to the list of acceptable fees.

I usually have to pay about $80-$130 each semester.

Such a blessing. And on top of that, you can usually cover that with the stipend really easily. $130/semester becomes basically $1.00 - $1.50/day. To get a dental education. Unreal.

It is Kind of irritating since I signed a contract thinking all the mandatory fees would be covered that abide to the list of acceptable fees.

I'll trade you the $652 student service fee for the $1,800 in built in loupes that your school gives you LOL My school doesn't require loupes (therefore zero reimbursement) so I'm saving up for that.

Still, I'm really really really happy and grateful. Stipend can easily cover incidentals like this, and on the plus side, we've got an awesome job treating some of the most deserving patients waiting for us on the other end!

Reactions: 1 users
I am defiantly more than grateful to have the HPSP and wouldn't trade it for anything. I am more of trying to get to the bottom of why it wouldn't be covered. But like you said we have the stipend to help cover any additional costs.

Dang I wish my student service fee was only $50 haha. It's freakin $652! I do get an extra $400 to spend on my loupes since I guess that they do cover the built in cost the school chargers for dental loupes which is $1802.

Dang $652!!!! Yeah I'd be fighting that hard too. So my first semester every I think our fee was around $230 or something. The didn't reimburse this because there were certain parts of that fee that they didn't cover. I had to jump through hoops at the school and get a break down of what that fee consisted of and then they reimbursed half of it or something.

Dang $652!!!! Yeah I'd be fighting that hard too. So my first semester every I think our fee was around $230 or something. The didn't reimburse this because there were certain parts of that fee that they didn't cover. I had to jump through hoops at the school and get a break down of what that fee consisted of and then they reimbursed half of it or something.
I asked my school for a break down of the $652 fee and they said they didn't have one haha. Sounds pretty sketchy to me

I asked my school for a break down of the $652 fee and they said they didn't have one haha. Sounds pretty sketchy to me

Yeah it took me getting pretty fired up with them to get that too. I don't understand why they fight us so much on it, but if you are paying a fee of $652 you need to know exactly what it is paying for and I'd get stern with them about why you need it.

Are scrubs covered by the NAVY HPSP for a cost of "$125 per Career"? It's an itemized covered cost listed on the 2014 HPSP Reimbursement List for the Medical, Podietry, and PA programs....but it is not listed anywhere in the dental section. Any insights on this anyone?

Are scrubs covered by the NAVY HPSP for a cost of "$125 per Career"? It's an itemized covered cost listed on the 2014 HPSP Reimbursement List for the Medical, Podietry, and PA programs....but it is not listed anywhere in the dental section. Any insights on this anyone?
I'd like to know that as well

Yes, they will do a one time reimbursement of $125. We had to buy two sets of scrubs, one for D1 and D2 year, then a different color for D3 and D4 year. Prob $500-$550 for 10 total scrub sets but they will only reimburse $125 total.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, they will do a one time reimbursement of $125. We had to buy two sets of scrubs, one for D1 and D2 year, then a different color for D3 and D4 year. Prob $500-$550 for 10 total scrub sets but they will only reimburse $125 total.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply and great to know!