What will be some reasons American Graduates are not accepted in a Cardiology fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why American Graduates are not accepted into a Cardiology Fellowship/

• No enough research

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Community program graduated

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Low Step 1

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Recommendation Letters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not applying broadly

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I will be applying for a cardiology fellowship next year. I check the statistics for the past few years and I noticed that 90 % of American Graduates that apply for a cardiology fellowship get accepted.
I was wondering what will be some reasons that you guys think the rest (10 %) don't get accepted. This is just a survey , I know that each case is unique but I just want to have an idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know the exact answer, but guessing AMG applicants who don't match probably are from community/low-tier residency programs without anything else that stands out in their application. Very rarely a person who is unpleasant to work with or only applied to reach programs.

Good Morning,

I will be applying for a cardiology fellowship next year. I check the statistics for the past few years and I noticed that 90 % of American Graduates that apply for a cardiology fellowship get accepted.
I was wondering what will be some reasons that you guys think the rest (10 %) don't get accepted. This is just a survey , I know that each case is unique but I just want to have an idea.
Not applying broadly and no research. Most US programs have 6-9 months of research spread throughout the 3-year fellowship. Many people are surprised to know that there is a COCATS1 requirement in research and scholarly activities and it's the major reason that cardiology transitioned from a 2-year to a 3-year fellowship a long time ago. If there is an obvious blank section on ERAS under scholarly activities (not even an abstract or a poster!), it's a massive red flag. Many applicants don't realize that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I did not know that information about the research during fellowship.

Not applying broadly and no research. Most US programs have 6-9 months of research spread throughout the 3-year fellowship. Many people are surprised to know that there is a COCATS1 requirement in research and scholarly activities and it's the major reason that cardiology transitioned from a 2-year to a 3-year fellowship a long time ago. If there is an obvious blank section on ERAS under scholarly activities (not even an abstract or a poster!), it's a massive red flag. Many applicants don't realize that.

Most programs give the opportunity to do research, but I think many do not mandate it unless it’s the more hardcore research oriented programs (BWH, Hopkins, etc). Or they make you do another year or two of research anyway. I personally am spending most of the time doing clinical things which will help me in my job (nuclear, TEE, cath etc)

OP’s question re: AMGs not matching. These are the most common reasons I saw.
- no research (I know of only one person who matched without this and I suspect it was related to nepotism)
- low tier community program which has no opportunity to obtain good LORs or research or clinical opportunities
- not applying to enough programs
- weak board scores
- something dumb (incomplete app, didn’t register for the match, etc)
- bad interviewing skills and/or lack of support from home program due to personality or behavioral issues - I know of at least one person from a well regarded program this happened to

It’s no doubt true that as an AMG you have a huge advantage in the match - particularly as an MD student. However, it does not guarantee anything if you don’t apply SMART.