What will doctors jobs look like 20 years from now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any changes in salary? Any changes in demand for job? Please include any significant changes in the jobs of doctors. I'm thinking over the next 15-25 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Demand will remain. There is a constant inflow and outflow of doctors.

Salary will decrease over the next few years as the baby boomers move through. I wouldn't anticipate salaries dropping much more than this initial decrease and I would expect them to remain pretty steady/level for some time after that. I highly doubt they will increase after medicare makes these initial cuts.

It's also entirely possible that U.S. medicine transitions to a single payer system which would also force down salaries.

Either way, you won't be making a million dollars a year anymore, but you will still live very comfortably. Think BMW over Ferrari, and you will be fine.

Demand will remain. There is a constant inflow and outflow of doctors.

Salary will decrease over the next few years as the baby boomers move through. I wouldn't anticipate salaries dropping much more than this initial decrease and I would expect them to remain pretty steady/level for some time after that. I highly doubt they will increase after medicare makes these initial cuts.

It's also entirely possible that U.S. medicine transitions to a single payer system which would also force down salaries.

Either way, you won't be making a million dollars a year anymore, but you will still live very comfortably. Think BMW over Ferrari, and you will be fine.
That probably depends on business skills. The average may drop but there will still be those making >400k/year for sure (a good number too).

Members don't see this ad :)
You're very demanding. Where's your end of what you've taken the time to discover on your own?

Even if single payer or the ACA goes through, there will still be many opportunities for beating the average salary. I know some guys in the UK who practiced for NHS for awhile and now own a large, thriving private practice and take home serious bank. I could see more docs here starting off in a medicare/caid-based practice and transition to a cash-only/boutique model as they built a reputation, much like they do overseas in single-payer systems.

I would suspect that averages will surely come down but plenty of opportunity will still exist for those with the necessary skills to do very well. If they ever find a way to bundle payments effectively, those who can practice most efficiently and skillfully would be at a financial advantage.

In 20 years, people are going to be having the same exact discussion as on here. Nothing major will be done to the health care system until it is on the verge of collapsing.

On the bright side, there will probably be tort reform in the near future, which should reduce malpractice costs. Doctors and lawyers fighting....pass the popcorn :laugh:

In 20 years, people are going to be having the same exact discussion as on here. Nothing major will be done to the health care system until it is on the verge of collapsing.

On the bright side, there will probably be tort reform in the near future, which should reduce malpractice costs. Doctors and lawyers fighting....pass the popcorn :laugh:

We can only hope...:xf:

And maybe I will have Mod status by that time.

Any changes in salary? Any changes in demand for job? Please include any significant changes in the jobs of doctors. I'm thinking over the next 15-25 years.

Hmmm....let me look into my crystal ball. One sec.

I don't know, but would you mind telling me how many GB the typical cell phone will have in 20 years? Could you tell me what you're going to wear on September 3rd, 2031? Do you think I'll make it on time to work on October 6th, 2040? How many trees will I have in my front yard? Will I ever win the lottery? Will Hawaii have a professional football team? Will Puerto Rico be a state? Will we go to war with Iran? What about North Korea?

Thanks in advance, Nostradamus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2AyKdU40Y

This one goes in your mouth, and this one goes in your butt. No, wait a second... This one... This one goes in your mouth, and this one in your butt.

---BEST MOVIE EVER!

I don't know, but would you mind telling me how many GB the typical cell phone will have in 20 years? Could you tell me what you're going to wear on September 3rd, 2031? Do you think I'll make it on time to work on October 6th, 2040? How many trees will I have in my front yard? Will I ever win the lottery? Will Hawaii have a professional football team? Will Puerto Rico be a state? Will we go to war with Iran? What about North Korea?

Thanks in advance, Nostradamus.

About 400. Red T-Shirt and jeans, blue boxers, white sports socks. 3. No. Yes. No. Yes. Yes.