What will happen of the black sheep of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been various post about students who are in med school who aren't cut out for the job. From dressing, attitude problems to drinking and drugs(I know this former schoolmate of mine doing medicine in the UK who's hooked on drugs), what will become of them someday?
We all know that in many countries, medical degrees can be bought, actually..any degree nowadays can be bought, as long as you have the money, and the so-called minimum requirements which seem to be getting really 'minimum' as time goes by
Are we willing to sacrifice lives for the sake of these students who just want to get a "Dr" in front of their names, or because they think that doctors earn lots of money? What can we do to stop the influx of students like these?

Members don't see this ad.

are you talking about the situation in UK or in Malaysia? I highly doubt that such students that you have alluded to in your post would be able to hack it in the US regardless..

"What can we do to stop the influx of students like these?"

1)Nothing
2)be a good doctor yourself
3)try not to be so judgemental - many of you eventual collegues will become addicts even if they are the pillar of society now
4) think about how to help the people who do succumb to addictions

--- IMHO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bc_tch
are you talking about the situation in UK or in Malaysia? I highly doubt that such students that you have alluded to in your post would be able to hack it in the US regardless..

please, dont presume to make such a silly statement. if youve never been to a foreign medical school, then dont talk about them as if you have. a dr is a dr no matter where she/he went to school. the u.s. has its own way of training dr's and it doesnt mean that the u.s. knows the best way. i would like to see how many people from u.s. medical schools could survive in foreign medical schools. i doubt as many would survive if it was the other way around and foreign medical schools students were req'd to "hack it" in the u.s.

First of all.. i dont think there is a SET attitude of a doctor/medical student..
thing is.. we have not seen our friends in a clinical setting..
some people completely transform the moment they need to../
so dont judge em based on what you see now...

that being said.. drugs is not good :horns:

Secondly, let time take it's course. Minimal requirement or not, there are many things which make a doctor and its not just good grades. The willpower to sitdown for 5 yrs studying for insane exams.... THAT itself is an important requirement for a future doc...

We can only change what we have control of. So ericdamiensean, chill !! :clap:

Varblade

I would venture to say that anyone who visits sdn regularly is probably not a "normal" medical student. ;)

Because we're cybergeeks who somehow are not engineers.

-Todd +pissed+

"a dr is a dr no matter where she/he went to school."

Better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

hightrump,
Thank you. I love that quote. I now have a tag line. Thank you.