What will the cure for cancer do to the job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Loving some of the comments posted about that article. Big Pharma this Big Pharma that.

We cured so many cancers in mice and rats!

I am always irritated about how the media and general public use the word "cancer" as a monolithic entity with a single magic bullet potential treatment.

The war on screening and unnecessary treatments will not help the market.

I am always irritated about how the media and general public use the word "cancer" as a monolithic entity with a single magic bullet potential treatment.

Totally agree. Even more annoying is when they interview academics from the "elite" medical centers do the same thing. I read quotes in wsj and nyt even by cancer researchers where they speak about ovarian cancer or breast cancer as if it is a homogeneous disease.

I had a pregnant patient who referred to her baby as cancer.

Immunotherapy is your magic bullet. Your immune system protects you from malignancies your entire life. We are starting to figure out why and how it stops protecting us and hopefully will be able to reactivate it to do it's job. There is research out that proves immunotherapy works for a variety of end stage cancers. Do a pubmed search on Dr. Yamamoto and GcMAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no magic bullet you fools. Except of course for the real magic bullet which has been suppressed over the years by BIG PHARMA and BIG HOSPITAL.

Remember about 15 years ago when that boston researcher discovered some inhibitor of angiogenesis and that was going to be the cure? How did that work out? If you look back and read about it in retrospect it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but at the time it was CANCER CURE DISCOVERED and all that.

Cancer was cured over 30 years ago in a mouse. Anti-CD47 therapy will almost certainly fail in human trials.

I agree with Lipomas, in 1997 James Watson predicted that Judah Folkmann's endostatin and angiostatin angiogenesis inhibitor compounds would cure ALL cancer within 2 years. Shares of Entremed Inc. shot up above $100 for a brief period after he was quoted in the NY times. Today, shares are at $2.

I knew some of Weismann's postdocs when I was at the farm. This is pure hype. Same old story, works in a mouse, total failure in humans. Immense clonal diversity of cancers will make this disease incurable during our lifetime. You can add months or even a year or two with targeted therapies, but for the big cancers (breast, colon, pancreas, lung) you can never hit all the genetically distinct clones.

I would short shares of Weismann's biotech company once they shoot up after a promising mouse study. Furthermore, it's a great strategy to short any publicly-traded biotech company with a promising cancer therapy.

I had a pregnant patient who referred to her baby as cancer.

I often refer to half the U.S. population as "cancers"..well 47% to be exact...:laugh:

like Im trapped in a zombie apocalypse surrounded by innumerable Obama Phone Ladies led Hollywood Liberals. Terrifying I tell you.

Anyway the cure for cancer would not meaningfully change Pathology other than to increase testing for cancer now that there is something that can be done in all situations.

But we are several lifetimes away from that...several. And considering the current state of lazy pot smoking grad students and postdocs working on this problem, we might be hundreds of years off now.

I often refer to half the U.S. population as "cancers"..well 47% to be exact...:laugh:

Well I am glad I don't live in your country. Although at the rate our political parties are going that might be a reality soon too.