What will you do if you don't get in ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reylting

Elle
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys don't mean to sound pessimistic, but this thought crosses my mind my mind every once in a while. I was just wondering what people have planned if they have thought of this.

Members don't see this ad.

reylting said:
Guys don't mean to sound pessimistic, but this thought crosses my mind my mind every once in a while. I was just wondering what people have planned if they have thought of this.

If I don't get in this year, it will definitely be because of my GPA, in which case, I'll either try to get a masters or take some classes over again. I don't think I will do a complete postbacc program because I only really screwed up in Chemistry. What do people think about that? Is it better to enter a post-bacc program?

If I STILL don't get in, I'll go to culinary school and become a world class chef.

reylting said:

I will finish EMT…I am currently EMT-B, but I would love to go all the way to EMT-P if time allows. And I might retake the MCAT….with double digits in all but 1 section I am kind of afraid to, though, as that is really a roll of the dice and I would be SO pissed if all I did was break even. Looking at the stats given by the AAMC, it appears that most people stay about the same or maybe go one or so points higher.

I would also ask the schools I sought after most what I could do to make my application much stronger...find out what they did not like about it and decide whether or not I could change whatever it was for the better.

The long and the short of it is killing time doing something I would enjoy (EMT-P) and working (need $, duh) but in the end - my answer....

COMING BACK NEXT YEAR STRONGER AND MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER!

As crappy as it is you have to think about this possibility, merely to have approached every angle and to assure you are well prepared...that is how I view it anyway.

That said, I WILL GET IN SOMEWHERE this year! :) And I'm sure you will, too!

Thoughts, feelings about the retaking the MCAT concern are warmly welcomed here people….pls share! :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
This thought isn't an option at this time.
If I don't get in, I'm not going to worry about that until AFTER I don't get in. And even then I won't admit defeat until I've applied for two to three cycles.

reylting said:
hey, I know what you mean...a good friend of mine is truly altruistic when it comes to the medical profession. Unfortunately, his stats aren't the bests, and he'll end up in the carribean. I feel terrible, especially since him and I have studied and worked through the MCAT together.

:mad:

I'll probably go to Ross or something. But I really don't want to go to the Carribeans after hearing about the heat and the humidity and the horrible living condition. If Ross is a no-go, I'll do a Master's or a Post-Bacc and raise my GPA. And I'll try to sell some of my art to comic book companies, however that seems more unlikely than medical school. All in all, I have no concrete plans because I am really really hoping I get in somewhere.

If I weren't in somewhere by mid-January, I think I would start looking into applying for Teach for America. From listening to my roommate, it sounds like they have their 'second round' deadline in February (?).

Obviously, TforA is a specialized program that won't appeal to everyone, and it's competitive, so some applicants won't get spots, but I think it would be a great thing to do for two years. It would also show a committment to service, which I'm sure med schools would look upon kindly.

Furthermore, if you were willing to sacrifice some sleep, I bet you could do some shadowing/hospital volunteering at the same time to demonstrate your committment to medicine or you could spend some time studying for the MCAT so as to retake it and improve your score.

Beyond that, I would also consider earning a Masters in Public Health...that area has always interested me, and there are lots of jobs for MD/MPH dual-degree holders.

If I don't get in (God forbid), then I will get a second bachelors, this time in Biology at my state school. It'll only take 3 semesters. After the first year, I'd retake the MCAT and re-apply, since my weaknesses are sci GPA and MCAT.

This is my second time applying. I applied this time to both MD and DO, and currently hold an acceptance to a DO school that I'm really excited about.

I'll be doing a masters degree in pathology or hematopathology probably.

I'm a currently a reapplicant. If I don't get in this time, which I doubt will be the case, then I'll finish my Ph.D. in epidemiology and continue my critical care outcomes research. Whether of not I would reapply for a third time is something I would have to consider very carefully. If I decided not to reapply, then I would likely get my paramedic license as well.

I'm sure a lot of you believe it will be the end of the world if you don't get in this year; I know the feeling all to well. But you need to be realistic about your situation and plan accordingly.

Hey, friends, if you don't get in, DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. Every school continues to add students until classes start. Stay positive.

I'm going to take Q's advice for the most part. Call up some of the places I applied and find out what about my application didn't appeal to them. I'll dump a few places that I previously applied to(Brown, MCW, Hawaii, and the home of those bastards, Albany) add probably 7-10 new allopathic and maybe 4-5 osteopathic schools. Oh, and apply extra early.(IE June with a quick turn around for secondaries. I probably should have a couple of "form" essays so my secondaries are quick and easy.) Then pester them once I send everything in to make sure they don't overlook me this time.
Of course since I'll have a year or 2 off guess I'll work as a software engineer for awhile.(BTW, we need a new term for that. I mean engineer is too serious, programmer/coder is not serious enough but that's another can of worms.) Oh, and try to get healthy but I always write about that. (Ooh, my liver :D )

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in this time, which would most definatley be the end of the world, I will reapply. And if that doesn't happen, I'll become a rockstar. If you can't do what I love, at least other people can love me.

Dave_D said:
I'm going to take Q's advice for the most part. Call up some of the places I applied and find out what about my application didn't appeal to them. I'll dump a few places that I previously applied to(Brown, MCW, Hawaii, and the home of those bastards, Albany) add probably 7-10 new allopathic and maybe 4-5 osteopathic schools. Oh, and apply extra early.(IE June with a quick turn around for secondaries. I probably should have a couple of "form" essays so my secondaries are quick and easy.) Then pester them once I send everything in to make sure they don't overlook me this time.
Of course since I'll have a year or 2 off guess I'll work as a software engineer for awhile.(BTW, we need a new term for that. I mean engineer is too serious, programmer/coder is not serious enough but that's another can of worms.) Oh, and try to get healthy but I always write about that. (Ooh, my liver :D )

I agree Albany sucks large monkey balls....$100 secondary for a buncha BS essays and a rejection letter. Oh yeah, Rochester too....greedy bastards.

Nothing wards off the rain like being prepared with an umbrella. So to that end, I am fully investing myself in implementing a Plan B, with hopes that all this work and preparation will yield me an acceptance and then I can say, "oh, and i did all that work to apply for a post-bacc too! Oh well! Wasted energy!"

I had high hopes for Albany. I know a couple of people that were randomly accepted. But my dreams have been dashed. What jerks.

Can't they see how great we are? Maybe I sucked at o-chem, but that was five years ago. Why can't they look at my grad school grades and think "Wow, she improved so much. Let's interview her to get to know her better."

It's like I'm all dressed up with no place to go!

jellybird said:
I had high hopes for Albany. I know a couple of people that were randomly accepted. But my dreams have been dashed. What jerks.

Can't they see how great we are? Maybe I sucked at o-chem, but that was five years ago. Why can't they look at my grad school grades and think "Wow, she improved so much. Let's interview her to get to know her better."

Good to know I'm not the only one pissed at Albany. I really was hoping to go there too. Oh well, we're probably too good for them anyway.

Is seppuku an acceptable option?

I don't think this, and i'm far from an optimist. Sure, my MCAT score could be a little higher, I should have tried harder during microbiology, etc. but overall I think i'm good. I can't guarantee i'll get into the school I want, but i'm bound to be accepted somewhere and that's enough satisfaction for me.

If all the schools happen to reject me come time for applying, i'll re-evaluate my application, see what's holding me back (grades, experiences, etc.), and go from there. It's also possible I would apply to graduate neuroscience programs, and see where my interests lie at that point.

Unfortunately, there's nothing more I want in life than to be a psychiatrist. If it doesn't work out for me, then i'll be lost because I don't have many other interests.

I'd work for Congress, get some solid health policy work under my belt and reapply.

veridisquo said:
Unfortunately, there's nothing more I want in life than to be a psychiatrist. If it doesn't work out for me, then i'll be lost because I don't have many other interests.

yeah....i love psychiatry too.

research by day, 80s hair metal rockstar drummer by night

we gotta hold on to what we got, doesn't make a difference if we make it or not :D

modelslashactor said:
research by day, 80s hair metal rockstar drummer by night

we gotta hold on to what we got, doesn't make a difference if we make it or not :D

You guys have some interesting backup plans.... If I didn't get in, I'd cry and bawl my eyes out....and then get mad at myself for not thinking up a backup plan...

So if I didn't get in, I might go back to my original plan as a professional musician.

BlinkyCat said:
You guys have some interesting backup plans.... If I didn't get in, I'd cry and bawl my eyes out....and then get mad at myself for not thinking up a backup plan...

Ohhh I see. The whole med shcool thing is a side plan for you anyway.

BlinkyCat said:
Have the back up plan first, then cry if you don't get in this year. Following or during said crying session, proceed to drink heavily for 24 hours. I recommend jack and coke, but beer is also acceptable. After you get over the worst hangover of your life, things won't seem so bad. Besides, you've got a back up plan now, right? :D

TOTALLY! I want to be the lead singer for a Bon Jovi cover band!

either that or an architect...

the negative 1 said:
Have the back up plan first, then cry if you don't get in this year. Following or during said crying session, proceed to drink heavily for 24 hours. I recommend jack and coke, but beer is also acceptable. After you get over the worst hangover of your life, things won't seem so bad. Besides, you've got a back up plan now, right? :D

hehehe...you guys are funny. I really didn't have a backup plan....hence the said crying session and heavy drinky if such horrible situation happened to me...because I'd be SCREWED... :)

I'm not a planner...I'm a last minute person ..Bam! I want..I do!... :D :)

reylting said:

I will be humbled.

Then I will cry.

My fits of wailing will then subside and make way for the other stages of grieving. And upon completion of the weeping, I will apply for various master's programs and try again.

BlinkyCat said:
I'm not a planner...I'm a last minute person ..Bam! I want..I do!... :D :)
You know, they have medication to treat that kind of behaviour. :D

I'm going to be a professional football player. I've never played though, is it hard? Maybe I'll do soccer or baseball instead, these seem easier.

:laugh:

letmein!please? said:
I'm going to be a professional football player. I've never played though, is it hard? Maybe I'll do soccer or baseball instead, these seem easier.

:laugh:
Last year I was in a postbac premed program and the option of linking early was available to students in the program. None of the schools worked out for me and I felt horrible for a month or two, thinking about having to waiting a whole yr. (the "glide yr") without anything to do. But this yr I have fortunately gotten accepted to an allopathic school, and when I think about it the extra yr has been a very valuable learning experience, both in terms of learning more from doing more research, and from having more social experiences that may not be as available or as easy to maintain in med. school. So either way you'll be okay. Eventually you'll get in. The time btw. isn't a waste at all.

jellybird said:

Same here except I actually did well in orgo.(And every other premed class as a post bacc except of all things Freshman English II :) What's truely weird is I helped edit a cover letter for my sister in-law that helped her get a foreign lang instructor job at BU so it's not as though my english is completely terrible.) Ahumdinger, you've got the right advice which is basically hope for the best, prepare for the worst. (Yes, also my attitude before my biopsy. Damn, I do write about that alot don't I?)

reylting said:

you know, dont worry about it. i got a 19 on the mcat....

and i'm not urm or disadvantagfed or anything. in fact, i'm asian.

i got asked at my interview the other day what the weakenss in my application was. of course, it was kind of obvious and so, i said MCAT.

the guy said NO!!! that it wasn't my mcat. i then said grades??? he said nope. i listed everything god damn thing in my application and still could not figure it out. he wouldn't tell me either... so i just left not knowing...

theunderdog said:
you know, dont worry about it. i got a 19 on the mcat....

and i'm not urm or disadvantagfed or anything. in fact, i'm asian.

i got asked at my interview the other day what the weakenss in my application was. of course, it was kind of obvious and so, i said MCAT.

the guy said NO!!! that it wasn't my mcat. i then said grades??? he said nope. i listed everything god damn thing in my application and still could not figure it out. he wouldn't tell me either... so i just left not knowing...

Seriously??! That would drive me nuts! I'd be wondering about it in the back of my mind all the time!! :confused:

To the OP, I'll re-take the MCAT and reapply next year to both MD & DO schools, and Grenada too probably. If that doesn't work, I'll look at going PA, NP, or PT. Or sticking with my first career: musician.

Underdog - how about confidence? attitude? Mostly your greatest weaknesses in ANY situation have little to do with your on-paper qualifications and more to do with how you perceive and handle yourself.

reylting said:

I will cry, then reapply. Hey, that rhymed, didn't it? Maybe my mom was right, maybe I am a clever little twit.

My advisor just emailed everyone and reminded us of having a backup plan and to request reapplication info from her ASAP (what a pessimistic email!), but anyway, I was wondering, what you guys have planned for making an improvement on your application for next year. I mean, if I don't get in this year, it will DEFINITELY be because of my GPA (I don't care WHAT underdog's interviewer would say), but how much time do I have to take classes and raise that GPA for the next application cycle. Unless I get all rejection right this second, I probably won't find out for sure until April, and by then, if I didn't get in anywhere, I already have to start getting things together for the next AMCAS. I'd have to retake some pre-med classes, or get a 1 year masters, but will I have time for that to show on the June AMCAS? I'd have to start NOW!

If I were to do it over again, I would have majored in business then gone to culinary Arts school and opened either my own bakery, restuarant, or catering business. Cooking is my true passion, and involves some science. But alas, unless you are freeking awesome, it won't pay the bills........well not very well anyway.

If I don't get in, I will earn a second degree in Biological Sciences (poli sci is my major) and retake the MCAT..... and maybe break up with my girlfriend.