What will you do if you don't get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What will you do if you don't get in?

• take more undergrad courses

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • travel or work abroad

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • work full-time

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • volunteer in as many clinical settings as possible

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • all of the above

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • cry about it and settle for another career path

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything but I'm just curious what everyone's plans are if they don't get in.
I like having a backup plan ready and will probably just go back to my current school to take more courses - maybe turn my minor into a second major :S

Good luck with the apps and hopefully we won't need these backup plans!

Members don't see this ad.

mac_kin said:
I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything but I'm just curious what everyone's plans are if they don't get in.
I like having a backup plan ready and will probably just go back to my current school to take more courses - maybe turn my minor into a second major :S

Good luck with the apps and hopefully we won't need these backup plans!

If you didn't get in then you focus on what you think or what a school tells you is your weak points: volunteering, shadowing, MCAT, grades, whatever. Don't just go back and take classes because you have nothing else to do. Focus on your application and make it stronger. I don't know that a 2nd bachelors is going to help at all (unless it helps bring your GPA up).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm....taking that modeling job :laugh:

taking more classes and feeling old :laugh:

Finish my 4-year biochemistry major.

DrVanNostran said:
I already have the rope and note ready.

LOL, that's the best response! :laugh:

I think going to grad school would mean another career path.

wasn't there already a thread about this in the past week? shrugs. i'd cry. hahaaha. no seriously.

i'll do some research since I haven't done any :)

I'll figure out why I didn't get in and work on that. So what I do depends on why I didn't get in. If I do horrible on the MCAT I might just take 4-5 months off and study hard core for it and hope to make a high 30.

Hopefully if I don't get in my problem will be something that is easily noticable and correctable.

There was another poll thread like this one... the "Kill yourself" option seemed to be one of the most popular; however, I'm sure at least 65-75% of the responses were intended to be funny.

i'd blame it on my school and say maybe they didn't send in all the info or were late on recs or i'd blame on the ppl writing the recs anything but blame it on myself.

I'd be upset at first, but then I'd have to find a way to move on from there. Wallowing in self pity wouldn't get me into med school so I'd just have to make application more appealing.

i'd give pharmacy a try since it's the same pre-reqs. the weakness in my app is grad school GPA and I just don't have the money and time to go take a bunch of courses to bring it up.

I'm not applying until the next cycle, but I have given this possibility a bit of thought. I would more than likely travel and possibly try to intern while overseas. It would at least make my application more interesting.