What Would a Medical School Scholarship Mean to You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbbeyRoade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of several schools that will be sending applications out asking questions relating to scholarships. I understand that a scholarship would make us owe less money, be happier, etc....but what about your personal reasons for desiring a med school scholarship? Will it make or break your specialty decision? Some other personal reason? I'm curious!

Members don't see this ad.

There is an element of pride, not going to lie. We were told at the interview at the University of Michigan that all accepted applicants have a rank relative to one another and the rank determines scholarship. The first X ranks get full rides, the next X ranks get 1/2 tuition, and so on. Getting a scholarship from that school would mean that my application was considered to be in the top whatever-th percentile and I imagine that would feel great.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it would mean that i take less debt so i pay less $ in the future.

Honestly I wouldn't care what it meant if it means I am just a little less in debt at the end of this long road.

Sweet Trogdor avatar by the way!

It would mean Christmas came twice in one year :D:D:D

To me it would mean peace of mind. I can focus on my studies without worrying about the stress of debt i'm putting on myself and my family.

It wouldn't likely change my specialty choice at all. In fact, a recent study echoed that educational debt is a low priority factor when students choose specialties.

However, less debt to me means more freedom in my adult working life. More of my income will go towards things that I want, which means I can do enriching things like investing in charities, supporting family members, etc rather than paying down debt. These things are important to me, and scholarships will probably be the final "determinant" of which school I go to (though that doesn't make it the primary factor--hardly).

Aren't scholarships and honors added to your CV when applying to residency?

It means less debt and an inflated ego, the latter of which probably isn't healthy.

Aren't scholarships and honors added to your CV when applying to residency?
Yes, but I can't imagine that scholarships will hold much weight. It is what you do while you're in med school that matters when you apply for residencies, not what you did before you were in med school.

I'd never want my classmates to find out if I received a scholarship. I imagine it would change their perception of me.

If I'm going to have to go the MD only path, then I think a scholarship would make me more comfortable about pursuing a research heavy career.

No loans.

/thread

Nothing. The Post 9-11 GI Bill and the Hazelwood Act cover my tuition for undergrad and grad school.