what would be a sound undergraduate major to take for optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Livenitup

Do you think majoring in sociology or health science or even another BA like political science or anthropology would look good for optometry school in the future? I know it is not your typical, math major, biology or even chemistry major, but it still is something I am interested in. How bad would it look when future grad schools, professional schools or employers look at it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. You can major any anything you want as long as you take the pre-reqs for any program you decide to apply to.
2. I suggest doing what you are interested in as means to motivate you to get good grades in your major.
3. It doesn't look bad as long as you are qualified, which will be dictated by your overall aptitude, gpa, and pre-req performance.

4. Your title asking for a "sound" major would likely involve life science as it is most applicable and you won't have to study as hard in optometry school. For example, I was a biochem undergraduate major and I was able to sleep through my first year of school. I probably had an easier time (in terms of difficulty passing optometry school) than my friend who is a business major, but we are probably equally good doctors now.

Reactions: 1 user
1.) Something you can pull a 3.5+ GPA and 2.) Something you could make a career out of if worst comes to worst.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter. However, I found having taken biochem 1+2, histology, and immunology to be helpful so far in Optometry school.